US legal BJ74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw that. The difference is that the 61 sold previously was already in Washington, here the seller claims that it is a 15 min procedure.
Nice truck, I'll contact the seller...

I think the key is and has always been, if it has the VIN number issued by BC. then you can silde into the states.

At least washington. So where you can't buy new off the boat you can buy used off someone who bought off the boat...so still Canukians get the cool rides first :)

Yup, the HJ61 he sold had a good clean WA State title, I ran the plates/VIN ect, it came back as exactly what it was..........a HJ61 :)

I still find this hard to believe....So what happens when you try to take it from WA to say CA? Hmmmm....all my 70 crap would look great on a 74 :D

dieselbigot said:
I still find this hard to believe....So what happens when you try to take it from WA to say CA? Hmmmm....all my 70 crap would look great on a 74 :D

Now you have to lock your diffs the Toyota way. No more pffft pffft.
Get the feeling. Toyota.
;)

Dave

dieselbigot said:
So what happens when you try to take it from WA to say CA?

I have the same ? but say South Carolina or another state? Is there no way they can get you if you get the BC vin and then go Wash St.? Say they cannot go back and say hey this isnt a US vehicle, etc?

Such as red flags going off when I go into my DMV? Just a ton of $ to put out then be stuck with a car that can only be in Canada and its in South Carolina! Yeah not even close to each other!

And can this be done on say a 81 series :)

I honestly don't think anybody has anything figured out. I can get anything licensed in this county of NE, it may be kosher with the state DMV, but DOT or EPA rules are going to squash that when insurance goes to fight a claim.

folsom50 said:
I honestly don't think anybody has anything figured out. I can get anything licensed in this county of NE, it may be kosher with the state DMV, but DOT or EPA rules are going to squash that when insurance goes to fight a claim.

That brings up an interesting thought. What to do about insurance. Will they even give a policy with no questions etc? Mainly curious. And then what type of issues with claims. I mean obviously you will just say it was imported, but will the US gov't catch up on that when my nationally know insurance company has a policy on a car that cant be here?

I am not totally opposed to just buying a hj61 and then swapping parts onto a fj60 or 62. How many parts can you use from the import vehicle b/f its not OK? I want the high top, sunroof, 12hdt, FF, and cable lockers. But dont really want the RHD. I know thats alot of work, but ????

I know alot of this has been discussed b/f but alot of it is laws, etc that are hard to understand, etc.

Lastly, say I find a vehicle in Austrailia and get it shipped to me. (To use as parts like stated above)What else do I have to do? As far as costs go. Mentioned earlier about shipping and another guy helped me out with something he had quoted. (Wasnt a cruiser, but same general areas shipped) It was about $1200 East coast USA, to Sydney AU. Will there still be issues with me bringing it in for parts, etc at customs?

thanks and sorry for all the ?'s mainly curious for later on. (Couple of years, but never know when I migh thave to buy another vehicle :) )

Jan-78FJ40 said:
I saw that. The difference is that the 61 sold previously was already in Washington, here the seller claims that it is a 15 min procedure.
Nice truck, I'll contact the seller...

Hey Jan, is it finally happening ? :)

Should I get my hopes up for a JDM diesel or should I just stick with my gas guzzling 80 series ?

Bob
1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

1982 FJ60 "Clifford" FS

dieselbigot said:

Hey Brett,
At least you have a 70 series :)

Bob

1977 FJ40 "MuMu"
1992 FJ80 "Tubbs"

1982 FJ60 "Clifford" FS

89s rule said:
That brings up an interesting thought. What to do about insurance. Will they even give a policy with no questions etc? :) )
personally i would contact your insuracne company and ask them these questions. i feel it is better to know upfront then get a kick in the ass after you have a claim in progress...

Ciaran Wilson of "Cruiserland" in Langley BC is working on his 2nd firewall swap, and has a 3rd booked with the 60 series. He does incredible work. He is building plans for his 1st 7* series, and then will be off to the races with it. This is always an option for those that really want a LDH with all the goodies.

hth's

gb

folsom50 said:

Licensing isn't a problem with anything. You can get plates etc for anything - getting the state to issue title is where it gets tricky. As far as insurance, it's not an issue at all. You can insure vehicles based on a stated value, my 70 is done this way. My carrier (a major/common company) is well aware that my 70 came from Canada and since I wanted to carry full coverage they simply asked what value I would like to insure it for. You can do it similarly as you would a custom collector car.

the only time it gets real sticky with insureance is if you try and be sneaky or "pull the wool over their eyes", they can get quite nasty then...

people must remember that insurance is a business. it comes down to the bottom line. if they can get out of paying a claim it makes the year more profitable. if you have ever dealt with a nasty adjuster yo will know what i mean...
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom