US auto insurance companies for 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mulebarn

GOLD Star
Threads
I searched this forum and couldn’t find anything recent. In the US, which insurance companies are you using for your RHD 70 series? In Washington I’ve been using Farmers, and now that we’re moving, I’m having a bit of difficultly finding a company that doesn’t want to classify it as a “specialty vehicle“ and charge 6-8x for the policy. TIA.

I personally use and recommend Hagerty, and I'm sure a lot of people on here agree with me. Here's a thread that kind of highlights some of the talking points: 7x series cost of ownership in USA

But yeah, they literally asked me how much I want to insure the vehicle for in the event of a total loss, and with a $0 deductible, no annual mileage limits (huge, and I couldn't find another insurance company that didn't have a limit) and somehow the insurance cost is marginally higher than my '92 Toyota Pickup insured by USAA (which is not much). There are extra stipulations though, like it can't be your only car that you own, and whether it's garaged etc... but I've had great experience with them so far.

X2 on Hagerty. Best way to insure any odd or hard to replace vehicle.I have had them all and they are by far the least trouble if you actually have to use your insurance. The major insurance companies do not even know what they are insuring and the adjuster they send to look at it will know even less. Which leads them to trying to compare your non US spec vehicle to something domestic that is worth nothing because it's 25 years old.

Word of advice ,from someone who has worked 1000's of insurance claims as an independent catastrophe adjuster working claims for at least a dozen different carriers. Your agent absolutely does not know what he is talking about most of the time and when corporate gets involved you are are going to find that all the things your local agent told you are not a problem are actually a problem and you signed the insurance contract. So, they will not care. It's super frustrating, but it's just the way they are set up. The agent does not necessarily know the finer points of the insurance they are selling.

I have all my trucks and collectible cars insured with Classic Auto insurance. I'm not sure I have ever dealt with a more competent insurance company. I look forward to dealing with them which is crazy.

They're car people. They get it. Their customer service is outstanding.

Call Kenzie and get a quote....she's into Toyotas...especially 4runners.

I used Hagerty with on the FJ73 I had.

On the PZJ70, I decided to do a stated value policy directly with Texas Farm Bureau but it was a such hassle that when I moved on to the HZJ77, I went back to Hagerty.

Another vote for Hagerty here. They are the easiest I dealt with for the 70 series.

I have a LHD and have all my cars including the 70 through Allstate, they had to manually ad the VIN because it was not in the US database

Word of advice ,from someone who has worked 1000's of insurance claims as an independent catastrophe adjuster working claims for at least a dozen different carriers. Your agent absolutely does not know what he is talking about most of the time and when corporate gets involved you are are going to find that all the things your local agent told you are not a problem are actually a problem and you signed the insurance contract. So, they will not care. It's super frustrating, but it's just the way they are set up. The agent does not necessarily know the finer points of the insurance they are selling.

This is really good advice because I had a lot of grief adding the PZJ70 to my TXSFB policy. It had to go pretty high up for approval at stated value, well beyond the agent's own approval. Not sure I would want to know what would happen if I actually had to file a claim.

Just simply adding the vehicle to your normal policy without stated value is much easier of course but get into an accident and you are pretty much out of luck.

I'll weigh in... I went with State Farm as I've had them since I've been driving. They insured my FJ75 as a classic (as well as my FJ40) with stated values. Both policies required me to send in photos. The Troopy barely qualified due to it's interior. I convinced them its "in process". My policies state they are classics which is important as it excuses me from emissions testing as well.

One small but important detail ... if you choose to go through Hagerty or any other classic vehicle type of insurance outfit, you want to be careful with how you describe certain things to them. They will ask you what the primary use of the vehicle will be. Tell them it's a secondary vehicle for weekend cruises, classic car meets, etc. DO NOT mention anything about off-road use of any type, they don't like that will not offer you a policy.

I was able to add mine as my main vehicle to state farm after some explanation and sending photos of the vehicle and import documents. Same situation as Honger, but I didn't mark it as a classic,, just state value. Full coverage.

Bringing this back up for updates. What insurance companies are you using for full stated value policy for your non-US market 70 series?

Bringing this back up for updates. What insurance companies are you using for full stated value policy for your non-US market 70 series?
Using State Farm. Tried safeco, corporate sent a letter after my policy opened and canceled my policy due to it being no U.S. also got quotes from progressive that they ensured me it would be no issue, but that’s what I was told by safeco too… so State Farm it is for now (at stated value of 20k)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom