US 94 FZJ80 CRANK NO START (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crank No Start (click for video)

Let my trusty 80 sit for a week while on vacation (I rented a Bronco, so this is cosmic justice.) Started it up yesterday and got about 400 rpm and then it died. Subsequent start attempts were just cranking with no start. You can see the CEL on when the key is in the ignition which leads me to believe ECU is good. It’s cranking so that means battery and starter are good (right?) So no gas, spark, or air?

Anyone have any troubleshooting resources or ideas of where to start looking? Thanks!

Also, I briefly checked the fusible link. Did not look crispy or anything and is fairly new (~14 months). I have a spare in the glovebox so I may try that if anyone believes the CEL ON/ starter cranking is consistent with a bad link, which I don’t think it is because there would be no power to the starter at all, right?

Last edited:
Also, I briefly checked the fusible link. Did not look crispy or anything and is fairly new (~14 months). I have a spare in the glovebox so I may try that if anyone believes the CEL ON/ starter cranking is consistent with a bad link, which I don’t think it is because there would be no power to the starter at all, right?
The fusible link you refer to is actually 3 fusible links. Each one powers a separate sub-system.
Fuses and links should be checked with a meter, not your eyeballs.

The issue seems to be a flooded engine. After cranking with the accelerator depressed for about 2 minutes (1minute on, 1 minute off- two newish batteries under the hood) it rumbled to life, shot out some black smoke and ran fine. Spark was good- just wet with fuel when pulled initially. Could be a problem with an injector- either shorted, or crusted over and not atomizing. It’s running fine now, so I am telling myself it’s the latter. Need to inspect the harness behind the EGR and under the glovebox for any bare or burnt wiring. Any other ideas for things to look at short of pulling the fuel rail?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom