Urgent. Won't go out of 4wd. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nigelgrayfoto.com
I pulled a rather heavy vehicle that died today so l locked the hubs, pulled up put it in 4low and pulled it back. When I put it back to h2 and hit the button to turn off 4wd it won't disengage. If I put the tcase in neutral the light turns off then when I put it back in h2 the light goes back on, even with the button turned off. I can feel it still engaged when I turn. I parked it and left the hubs locked, but not sure why it won't come out of 4hi.

Last edited:
Vacuum shift?

Reverse the hoses on the solenoid pack. It's probably stuck.

On mine it is above the brake booster.
IMGP2872.JPG

Thanks. That's where mine is. So disconnect those lines then reattach or just disconnect. We are running around in the engine so won't be able to try until later.

I'm not fully understanding reverse them. Sorry.

Here is how I understand the function:

One of those solenoids pulls it into 4WD and the other pulls it out. The one that pulls it out may be malfunctioning. If you swap the two vacuum hoses that are pointed to the front of the truck I believe that pushing the 4WD button on should pull it out.

If the truck catches on fire you should be able to loook after that............:lol:

Dan do you know if the solenoid is the same part on FJ62's as 70 series?

There is a button that you hit once the hubs are locked in to put it in 4hi. The transfer case lever stays in h2. When you want to go into 4low, as far as I know, you leave the 4wd button pressed in and shift the tcase into 4lo. When you want to go back to 2wd you put tcase back into h2 and press the 4wd button so it is out.

There is a button that you hit once the hubs are locked in to put it in 4hi. The transfer case lever stays in h2. When you want to go into 4low, as far as I know, you leave the 4wd button pressed in and shift the tcase into 4lo. When you want to go back to 2wd you put tcase back into h2 and press the 4wd button so it is out.
Perhaps I'm wrong but my understanding is that the two ( floor lever and 4HI button ) are not used in conjunction. If I want 4HI I depress the button. If I want 4LO I use the floor lever and the 4HI button plays no role. Again perhaps I'm wrong.

Nigel
I think one of your VSV's has died. This has happened to me. You know where the VSV's are on the firewall.
Take the hoses from the top one and put them on the bottom one and then put the top hoses on the bottom. It should shift out of 4WD when you start the truck.
If it doesn't right away, no problem. I drove mine to Missouri and back like this as I thought the indicator switch was broken. A few miles in 4WD with the hubs unlocked won't hurt the truck.
If this doesn't work or it doesn't make sense, I can call you and talk you through it.
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom