Urgent....Update on 1988 FJ62 potential purchase. Need advice. Thx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I posted the other day inquiring about a potential purchase...I picked the vehicle up this morning and brought to my local mechanic for a solid one over...Below are the findings...

1. Ball joint seals need to be replaced.
  2. Timing chain cover leak
  3. Crank shaft seal leak
  4. Oil pan gasket leak
  5. Rear diff seal leaking
I really need opinion on the below rust pictures (the hole is on the front right swing arm (I think that's what you would call it, no other areas have rotted through)...I have never purchased a 30+ year old vehicle so I don't know what is normal and what is not.

1. How bad is rust?
  2. Can it be fixed?
  3. Run for the hills?
Asking price is $15,500. Dealership is attached to mechanic shop, at $15,500 I would require that they do all above work. If not my plan is to ask off $3K. The major unknown is the rust. I'm not sure if that can be fixed. I don't want the car to fall apart on me in 5 years.

I am excited about the vehicle and I am trying my best to not make an impulse purchase. Thank all!

IMG_5103.jpg

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

Don’t buy this one

This is a $5k truck at best, not $15k

Double hard pass. Walk away.

If you do buy it, have them replace the rear shock tube. That thing will snap on the first trail you drive

Definitely not a $15k truck. With that rust, $1,500 instead. Much better to wait for a better vehicle. Nearly anything mechanical on these trucks can be fixed but bad rust kills them.

Rust repair is ugly expensive and is a constant drain of money and time. Dealerships count on your enthusiasm to skew your judgement. They say there are other buyers and the deal will go to them if you don't act fast, further derailing logic. Relax. There is always another deal.

Keep looking and a great, low rust Cruiser will find you.

Perhaps usable for parts. I wouldn't trust that frame.

Mega Hard Pass unless the truck were super cheap and you had access to a good frame and the time money place and willingness to swap frames. And even then ....

What kind of dealership thinks its ok to sell a vehicle in that shape and then to have an absurd price just crazy.

I'd bet if you took that rig out for some hard wheeling that "frame" would fail. :deadhorse:That is some nasty ass frame rust and I'm shocked(NOT!) that they would ask that price. Imagine all the "other stuff" you can't see?! Really sad to see a classic vehicle with that kind of rust. smh......

Offer $1500 and buy it for a parts source when you find a better rig to wheel. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom