URGENT: Steering wheel spins freely! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, my steering broke somehow (luckily by myself) while I was driving slowly down my street. Steering wheel spins but wheels remain in place. Spinning the steering wheel I feel like if something with teeth is grinding. Please help as this scared the crap out of me!

Shaft inside steering rack may have stripped the teeth.

Thanks for your info. Would this be fixable or do I look for a whole steering shaft?

Thanks for your info. Would this be fixable or do I look for a whole steering shaft?
Does the steering wheel wobble? Video?

I'd begin by narrowing it down as to the location of the trouble. Have someone turn the steering wheel while watching to see if the steering shafts (main shaft, intermediate shaft, collar) all turn. IF they do....then look to see if the input shaft (splined) at the steering rack is moving. IF it is... then the possibilities are a stripped internal rack or an issue with the steering wheel itself.

Input Steering Rack.jpg

Probably that TSB / recall for the VGRS snap ring

I think it's this also. Check your VIN to see if the recall was ever done, and if not, you should be able to get it repaired for free at Lexus.
Here's the recall info:

STEERING SHAFT
THIS COULD RESULT IN LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 10V346000
Manufacturer TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Components STEERING
Potential Number of Units Affected 39,159

Summary TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2003-2007 LEXUS LX470 VEHICLES. THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE STEERING SHAFT IS SUCH THAT THE SNAP RING ON THE SHAFT MAY DISENGAGE WHEN THE VEHICLE EXPERIENCES AN UNUSUALLY SEVERE IMPACT TO THE FRONT WHEELS. IF THE SNAP RING BECOMES DISENGAGED AND THE STEERING WHEEL IS THEN REPEATEDLY TURNED TO THE LOCKED POSITION, OVER TIME THE STEERING SHAFT MAY BECOME DISCONNECTED.
Remedy DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE SNAP RING WITH A NEWLY DESIGNED ONE AND INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL COMPONENT WHICH WILL PREVENT SEPARATION OF THE STEERING SHAFT. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE.
THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON AUGUST 23, 2010.
OWNERS MAY CONTACT LEXUS AT 1-800-255-3987.
Notes OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) .

I just realized you're in Nicaragua so I do not know if your country handles recalls in the same manner but the info should at least help you diagnose.

Thank you so very much gents!
I will give this info to my INDY and also contact the local dealer and see what they tell me (I am not the original owner).

Hello everyone, just got these pics from my INDY and it seems that the white piece is broken. Can anyone tell me the name of the piece in English? Could this be the piece that is recalled?
Thank you again for all your help.

PHOTO-2020-03-30-11-38-36.jpg

PHOTO-2020-03-30-11-38-29.jpg

PHOTO-2020-03-30-11-38-28.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will need to replace the whole steering column shaft.
This is the part diagram for a 03 100 series. Your specific part may be different, but just giving you an example.
45210 specifically.

Power vs manual tilt matters and region may matter too. It would be your best to take your VIN to a Lexus dealer for the part.

1585595086641.png

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the diagram!
Why would you think I need to change the whole column and not just the piece(s)?

Hey guys, just wanted to let you all know that the problem was fixed. It was the steering column, and yes it was not as expensive as I expected (less than $500 parts and labor). Very happy with the way it turned out.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom