urgent help on a belt change!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i am trying to change the belts right now and am working on the 14mm bolt inside the AC tensioner pulley. i cant get it and all it is doing is stripping. I need help before I completely screw this thing up. I refuse to go and pay to have a freaking belt changed!! I sprayed it down with wd40 and that didnt help. the 14m wrench is not even trying to grab it but it doesnt really look that bad. this is on a 95. thanks everyone

Maybe someone changed the bolt- try a 13 maybe?

haha yeah i tried, its a 14. i pulled the skidplate and the bolt is pretty beat up!

Hey cjf, I'm in klamath, just moved here about 2 years ago for work. Any members on this side of the hill?

This is why I buy 6 point closed end wrenches and sockets.

You may want to try a 6 point and even if its bugged up some you can pound it on and than replace it when you get it off.
You could try to weld a new one on the old one if you have room.
Harbor Freight and Craftsman also carries a wrench that self adjusts.
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
I have had mixed results with this type socket.

Just some ideas. Hope it goes easy for you.

Thanks. I tried a gator grip and it just made it worse. I cannot believe that I'm spending this much time on freaking belts!!! Oh well, I'm heading to Seattle in the morning and will address this when I get home. Welding might be the answer.

A pipe wrench and a long pipe over it for leverage might also work.

I tried that when I was using the Gator grip. It blew me away that none of the ideas worked. This is the first time I have been completely stuck on a stripped bolt head! Thanks everyone for the ideas and please keep them coming. I am going to make one more attempt at this before I leave. Thanks again

hey are you talking about the one holding the pulley on or the adjuster. You have to loosen the pulley to turn the adjuster. I normally just go ahead and take the pulley off . It makes installing the new belt a little easier. If that's the one Idk try bumping the starter to turn it some . FYI that bolt is a plate holdding the pulley on maybe you can order the part and go ahead and destroy that one on removal.

im having the exact same problem. someone screwed up the nut before and now i cant get anything to grab onto it. i dont think im ever going to get this stupid a/c working

ok,
since it's a nut, can you get a nutcracker in to split it?
If not, just use a chisel and split it on one side and it will come right off.

well i was trying not to damage to bold part since it looks like its not just a bolt you can replace since the adjuster is on the opposite side. ive tried vise grips they just keeps spinning. tried pipe wrench but it wont catch because the nut is sunk into the pulley just enough to make it a pain in the a$$. im pretty sure the guy who had this before me went around the whole truck and either striped out or crossthreaded every nut and bolt on it.

just split the nut with a chisel and it will come right off.

When I pulled my alternator last week I noticed that the threads of the locking bolt on the adjuster were almost completely flattened. Not sure if someone cross-threaded it before or if the the threads in the alternator casting were screwed up. I didn't attempt to fix the bolt threads or tap the alternator hole, just hoped that it would go back together and it did, but before I take it apart next time I'll have a new locking bolt ready. Can you pull the alternator with the mounting bracket attached, then work on getting the bolt out?

So I've never split a nut with a chisel, how much work is that going to take?

I had the exact same issue with this nut and messed with it for a couple hours only to strip it clean. I ended up taking a hack saw blade placed between the pulley and the bracket and cut thru the bolt in about 5 minutes. I was replacing the pulley so I had a new one on hand with a new bolt.

The nut was completely seized on the bolt so it was not coming off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom