Urgent help needed, Snohomish County, WA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Location is Darrington, WA.

Long shot here, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if there is somebody in the area.

Back story:

I am a retired Marine with a few struggles of my own, and believe that I could help if I was closer--so what? If you frequent this forum, you can probably help.

My Brother in law Lucas is a former Marine Machine Gunner and current Idaho Conservation officer--He could also help if he was closer, but is working out of Idaho County.

My Brother in Law's best friend Doug is a former Marine infantryman who has struggled immensely in the last ~15 years. He held things together via brute force and ignorance for quite awhile, but increasingly used alcohol to cope. I spent some time with him at Lucas' wedding in 2006, and was concerned, but not terribly. About 5 years ago while drinking, he had a flashback (common occurrence) and ended up breaching his neighbor's front door and discharging his weapon (uncommon). Thankfully, no one was injured, but Doug spent several years in jail and rehab until last fall. He and his wife were doing well, but I do not know the specifics of his treatment/medications/therapy. In the last few months, he has been hanging out with some Vietnam vets who are likely good folks, but not really what he needs as he has returned to using alcohol to cope and told his wife that she should leave so that he doesn't accidentally hurt her.

What would be useful: If there is another veteran in the area that can help drag him out of the bad habits--not asking for an intervention or a savior, but somebody who can help Doug cope via taking him on wheeling trips, providing someone to talk to on occasion, and most of all, someone to keep him convinced that he is not in this alone, and does not have to do it alone.

Also, if there are local resources that you think he could benefit from, those would help too.

Hit me up via PM, and I'll put you in touch with Doug and Lucas.

Thanks!

Dan

I’m local, but not a vet. We help support a local nonprofit called Pointman Ministries - quick google says they’re a large organization but there is a local chapter (or whatever) in Sultan. Not super close to Darrington but nothing really is.
I have heard nothing but good things about how much they help local vets (I think most of their work is in a nearby prison), but they’re not super easy to get in touch with and I don’t have a good contact number handy. Sorry for the lack of details but they could be a good resource if you can find a phone number.

Thanks, I found them earlier, but was not sure if they had a chapter in the area, and if what they did have was close. I'll see if it is something Doug can tie into--it is good to hear positive info as some of those places are crooked.

Thanks again!

Dan

Dan, wish I could help but I’m back in Idaho now. I did see something that Tor has reached out to the local Cruiserheads group to see if any veteran cruiser people could help. Sorry for the situation and hopefully he can get the help he needs.

I'm a vet but no longer local.

There's a few services up in Everett and Snohomish County. Googling Snohomish County veterans should pull them up. You can see if any of them fit, but they're more like services than informal networks. I know King County has a pretty robust program, but I can't point you to anything personal, unfortunately.

Good luck,

Ara

I am not a Vet either but have some in my immediate family some good friends that are. I can ask them and see if they want to chip in and help. If I can help I will.

Thanks for all the replies folks. Lucas is headed out to see Doug today--I'll pass the resources along and see if we can get him pointed in the right direction. It seems that most often, the most difficult step is getting people through the front door of the places that can help them.

Thanks again!

Dan

Hey all,

Location is Darrington, WA.

Long shot here, but I figured it couldn't hurt to see if there is somebody in the area.

Back story:

I am a retired Marine with a few struggles of my own, and believe that I could help if I was closer--so what? If you frequent this forum, you can probably help.

My Brother in law Lucas is a former Marine Machine Gunner and current Idaho Conservation officer--He could also help if he was closer, but is working out of Idaho County.

My Brother in Law's best friend Doug is a former Marine infantryman who has struggled immensely in the last ~15 years. He held things together via brute force and ignorance for quite awhile, but increasingly used alcohol to cope. I spent some time with him at Lucas' wedding in 2006, and was concerned, but not terribly. About 5 years ago while drinking, he had a flashback (common occurrence) and ended up breaching his neighbor's front door and discharging his weapon (uncommon). Thankfully, no one was injured, but Doug spent several years in jail and rehab until last fall. He and his wife were doing well, but I do not know the specifics of his treatment/medications/therapy. In the last few months, he has been hanging out with some Vietnam vets who are likely good folks, but not really what he needs as he has returned to using alcohol to cope and told his wife that she should leave so that he doesn't accidentally hurt her.

What would be useful: If there is another veteran in the area that can help drag him out of the bad habits--not asking for an intervention or a savior, but somebody who can help Doug cope via taking him on wheeling trips, providing someone to talk to on occasion, and most of all, someone to keep him convinced that he is not in this alone, and does not have to do it alone.

Also, if there are local resources that you think he could benefit from, those would help too.

Hit me up via PM, and I'll put you in touch with Doug and Lucas.

Thanks!

Dan
Try to be a they have alcohol treatment programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom