Urban Cruiser shackles, you got 'em? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for pics and any opinions on the Urban Cruiser shackles. Did a thread search on the Downey cantilever shackles and some mentioned Urbans shackles. Cant find anything on their site about 'em though. Lemme know what your exp is with either one. Im a little concerned about steep ascents and having 'em flex out and point the front end skyward....... :doh:

Not on the site. Search under dd113 and/or superior shackles.

I have the Downey cantilever shackles on my 40...4" SUA, 37x12.5 MTRs. I really like how well they smooth out the bumps, makes it ride like a Cadillac. Proper shackle angels are extremely improtant so keep in mind that if your 40 has them at 90 degrees to the frame currently, anything is going to be an improvement.

You cannot run the cantilever shackles in the front unless you have a PS conversion. They seem to allow your springs to flatten out under the weight of the cruiser and eventually the springs will go flat. Right now, the shackels are riding on the stops because the springs are losing their arch. I have lost quite a bit of my lift by just wheeling this summer. You will not gain any axle drop with the cantilever shackels on an FJ40. Mine have only opened once and that was on a ramp.

The biggest problem is the extra leverage on the frame. I have to tighten the bolts everytime I drive or I will get the death wobble. They are just too long and they allow the axle to wander back and forth. (sometimes violently).

If you asked if I would run them again, my answer would be maybe. It all depends on what you want to do with your rig.
IMG_1537.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom