Uptop roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey,

Does anyone have experience with this new roof rack company I found called Uptop Overland? A random instagram add just magically appeared.

See link: Toyota LC80

They make a 80 series rack as well as a ton of other Toyota trucks and 4runners.

I was keeping my eye on Bowfin with the sweet clamps and aluminum construction. Was planning on pulling the trigger.

But this Uptop appears to not be a gutter mount. It looks like they use the factory rack mounting points and add another at the front of the truck.

Any merit to using the factory mounts vs. the gutter approach? Design looks clean. Has anyone pulled the trigger and can provide feedback. The Tacoma guys on youtube seem to like Uptop.

Cheers

Hey,

Does anyone have experience with this new roof rack company I found called Uptop Overland? A random instagram add just magically appeared.

See link: Toyota LC80

They make a 80 series rack as well as a ton of other Toyota trucks and 4runners.

I was keeping my eye on Bowfin with the sweet clamps and aluminum construction. Was planning on pulling the trigger.

But this Uptop appears to not be a gutter mount. It looks like they use the factory rack mounting points and add another at the front of the truck.

Any merit to using the factory mounts vs. the gutter approach? Design looks clean. Has anyone pulled the trigger and can provide feedback. The Tacoma guys on youtube seem to like Uptop.

Cheers
I would soak your mounting screws for a couple days with free all and see if they come out even. Mine did not. Very common LC issue. This rack looks good but if you have to drop your headliner because the nut serts are rusted out and spinning, making it so you can’t take your old rack off. Than a gutter mount rack might be the way to go.

It looks like a very polished rack, but for that money, I’d go bowfin if you like that style, or a gamiviti/gobi if you want the grid style. I think gutter racks are the way to go.

Last edited:
I think the gutters are better suited to holding weight than the factory roof screws.

I think the gutters are better suited to holding weight than the factory roof screws.

Most definitely lol

Case in point, my old Previa beater (the Jelly Bean)

I ghetto rigged an EMT rack and zip tied it to the factory rack rails

Got into and accident in the Bronx when a taxi ran a red light and the rack went flying.

I figured the zip ties just cut loose, but the fact is they actually held and ripped the factory rails right out of the roof o_O

On my 80, I ditched the factory rails and went with no less than 12 gutter mounts for my rack build lol

Man, I'd never seen this rack before, but I love how thought out it is. I hate that it's not a rail attached rack though. My factory mounting holes were welded up and painted over by the PO, so I have to have a gutter mount. I wonder if they have an option/it can be mounted on the gutters?

Edit: sent them a message, we'll see what they say!

Edit #2: No gutter mounts. But they were lightning fast to respond which is nice! From upTop:

Hi,
We use factory mounting point and pressure feet. Original m5 rivets get drilled out and replace with M5. We have had a customer test this and it is strong!!

Last edited:
We've installed their Tacoma racks and they are definitely strong. I would prefer a gutter mount system on an 80 series.

I suspect the rain gutter supports the weight of the loaded rack, and the only purpose for the factory mounting points, are just to Hold the rack in place.

I suspect the rain gutter supports the weight of the loaded rack, and the only purpose for the factory mounting points, are just to Hold the rack in place.

It does not attach to the rain gutters at all.

It does not attach to the rain gutters at all.
That’s they way I see it. It just rests on the rain gutters, spreading the weight. It fastens to the truck, at the same point as the OEM roof rack.

Weight distribution along the length of the rain gutter is ideal. To me the question is whether the attachment points can handle the sheer forces. If those points are not reinforced under the skin, I’d be a bit concerned the sheet metal could handle a good wack with a tree limb.

No attachment to, and no contact with, the rain gutters.

See the shadows from the forward mount in the pic from their site below.

Uptop Rack.png

Having removed the factory rack in a low-no rust state, the only rust i found was around those nutserts. It is a cool rack and I think it belongs on a 100 series or anything with a track based roof for racks, but I would not expect it to be super strongly attached even with no damage previously. if you added some blockspacers and some gutter mounts to add to it, I think it would be pretty strong and secure. Wouldn't be a hard mod but for me a necessary one with that rack.

Also something to consider is the width. its good to have room to put full sheets of plywood or sheetrock up there and bowfins works well for that. Also plenty of mods you can do to the bowfin to make it do even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom