UPS Delivered Exquisite Fine Art (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.willenosphotography.com
Yep.. opened the big box and it was definitely “Fine Art” under a big layer of expanding foam. After my wife and I extracted it from the professionally padded shipping container.. she exclaimed “it will look great over the couch on the living room wall”! True story!

What we were looking at was the long awaited Ron Davis all Aluminum radiator with dual Spal fans. Impeccable craftsmanship and visuals in of all things.. a radiator.

We will start the install when she gets back from a business trip on Saturday. SHE wants to be the one to slip it into place along the radiator supports. Another true story! I guess all had to do was buy something with gorgeous craftsmanship plus welds and then she was happy to jump right in.

DABF3AD7-0F7A-41A1-9A27-467222FC5F0A.jpeg
082B298F-5B45-4C24-8ED0-81AABB1D58BE.jpeg
0B8797E3-90DC-4142-AD86-11A20EA177E0.jpeg
F5FF3B95-1928-4E92-98C6-926041DB2F60.jpeg

Yeah, I'm curious how this all works out. I would like to run electric fans, but everyone says it doesn't work as well? I run a delta current control on my ls swap which is variable between the kick on temp and the "full on temp", stand alone and temp adjustable.

I also think you'll gain some room between the rad and the engine.

What's a RD with the shroud and fans run these days?

I expected a picture of something that was mashed and mangled and more along the lines of "Modern Art" since it came in by UPS.

I took a bit of a gamble on this radiator.. more so with the full compliment of Spal fans. I have heard don't do away with the fluid fan. To the other side the debate.. you will not be sorry. I have built a few cars in my day.. including an under 2.5L IMSA Trans Am and SCCA car. Always used electric fans.. even tho' not much of a fan is needed when you never slow down. But on a hot day on the grid or the lap before the green flag a fan is necessary. Built a '72 Scout and yep.. electric fan.. worked great. Plus add a few other vehicles with the same result.

So here I am with my 80 series and I have not been happy with the cooling when fully loaded and in addition towing our small military style 821 pound loaded trailer on long climbs when it is hot. I have not overheated as of yet.. but I have sure raised an eyebrow at 220º. That temp does not work for me.. I know I can get those high temps down as that type of heat under a load and over time can kill a lot of things.. starting with a head gasket. If I can drop our max temp 10º.. I will be ecstatic.

Currently and before the Ron Davis I had completely overhauled the cooling system. Deleted the rear heater. New radiator. Hoses. Louvered hood. Blue hub fan clutch w/fluid change. New fan. Spal pusher fan for slower speeds. Works excellent when it is 90º and the route is reasonably flat. Unfortunately I live at 5k' in the Sierras and everything from here is UP. At least all the places we want to go.

Since the cooling system is at 100% and I have a 150amp alternator it will be interesting to see how all my hoopla over this major addition works out. I sure hope my thoughts and rough calculations are in the ball park. Otherwise I will have an expensive piece of fine art hanging on the wall over the living room couch!

I will definitely post my thoughts after I get this all together. It will take a little bit as I have a few other bits that I want to attend to while I have the front sort of gutted out. Might save me a few knuckle scrapes on my 68 year old scarred up hands! Unfortunately it is already starting cool off a bit here at night.. shades of the upcoming fall. Of course I can always go to Bishop and make the climb going north on hwy 395 anytime of the year and see if the new system is any better.

Should you see a radiator.. blue fan clutch and Spal pusher fan for sale.. you will know right away it was a success!

Last but most important.. I too think that I have a keeper for a wife. I am very fortunate as my wife and I are on the same page with "virtually" everything. As far as mechanical talent is concerned.. she used to service her own BMW. Plus even at 62 she is still a looker!

Last edited:
Just dawned on me.. that maybe when I get done with this phase of Cruiser enhancements.. it will be TurboTime as the last and final chapter!

I think we still want to see a price or ballpark range.

Price.. not inexpensive. Definitely more than the normal realm than Koyo.. CSF and OEM run in. I am keeping a cost ledger for all of the bits and pieces.. and of course the initial expense. I will post all of it once I get this wrapped up. If it is no better than the stock setup that I had.. I would prefer keeping the dollars quiet.. so as to not look like an idiot who doesn't have a clue where to spend his LandCruiser funds! However if it works great it will be money well spent and I will be a hero within my own head!! 😎 Plus I will be bowing to the southeast.. home of Ron Davis.. with whom I shared my credit card number!

Would be interesting to measure water temp 'in' on a stock radiator and water temp 'out', then in same condtions, the temp drop with an aftermarket radiator .
Stock radiator works fine for me even with the 6.0LS (engine driven belt fan) , 2 spotties, 2 light bars, an insect screen and towing 2.5 tonnes in 40Deg C, probably 110F. Has anyome ever measured temp drops across radiators ?

@ALX4X4 sounds like an informative test and now that you mention it.. would make a great comparison between stock and modified. It is supposed to in the upper 90's tomorrow. So I will make a trip up our local 7 mile climb in the afternoon and check the "innie and outie" temps with my infra-red temp gauge at the top. I will also check it before I start up. Thanks for the suggestion!

I believe these around 1600 depending on options.

Thanks. Not sure why we're acting like it is a state secret. Any one could call Ron Davis and ask. I'm just lazy about it. Just seems easier to post it here. I think I would still get mine from Steel Nutz (I paid $1450 in 2016).

Absolutely no state secret. Just want to keep what I spent out of it to avoid “you could of got the same thing elsewhere for half that much”. “a waste of money.. I have a blah-blah and it works just as good”. I am personally just looking for results and this is the direction that I decided to go. When I have results either yeah or nay I am happy to share them here on MUD.

Lots of options and for the cost complete and tailored to your needs.. here is Ron Davis Racing Products phone number. 800-842-5166

Absolutely no state secret. Just want to keep what I spent out of it to avoid “you could of got the same thing elsewhere for half that much”. “a waste of money.. I have a blah-blah and it works just as good”. I am personally just looking for results and this is the direction that I decided to go.

I am definitely not one to judge your journey 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom