Upper Tailgate Seal - Install Photos? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Couldn't find anything on the Definitive Weatherstrip Guide. I bought an upper tailgate seal from SLO and am getting around to installation. I can't figure out how this thing is installed. My 55 had no weratherstrip at all on the tailgate so I have nothing to compare it to. I just asked SLO to send me everything I needed for the tailgate. Anyone have photos of their installation?

rs=w:600,h:600

I just installed mine a few months ago. I'll get some pictures and post them up unless someone beats me to it.

Sorry for the delay. Seal is pretty easy to figure out although the strips along the tailgate aren't cut at 90 degrees so it's not as clean as it could be. I used 3m weatherstrip adhesive. Applied to both sides. let dry, then apply to one side and adhere together. I still need to clean it up a bit.

The original spring clips are used along the rear window and at the very corners I drilled one hole for a screw to hold in place. It looked like the rubber was recessed for one.

55F6755B-F170-4180-A6F0-C7B347E100FA.jpeg

652594FF-59F5-45E1-806D-109006CB0C4B.jpeg

47F7A33A-DAB6-4757-9230-8C2C6697168D.jpeg

Couldn't find anything on the Definitive Weatherstrip Guide. I bought an upper tailgate seal from SLO and am getting around to installation. I can't figure out how this thing is installed. My 55 had no weratherstrip at all on the tailgate so I have nothing to compare it to. I just asked SLO to send me everything I needed for the tailgate. Anyone have photos of their installation?

rs=w:600,h:600
i think thats the lower, which is not available

thanks @NikP . I assumed you just used regular window felt on the rear window, didn't realize this weatherstrip wrapped all the way around like that.

I'm still trying to figure out what to use for window felts in the tailgate itself. The tailgate channel runs from Slocruiser's seems to be too thick for the window to even be installed. It seems like others had the same issue. The upper window felt I installed from Slowcruiser's should work, but until I get my window installed I'm not certain. I haven't heard of issues with this piece so I hope it'll be good.

Since I had no previous weatherstrip to reference, I just got some strip from Rockwood. Felt for the inside and this felt with lip for the outside. Previously I had a piece of metal backing on both sides of glass with all felt gone. I assumed that felt was original since only the backing remained and it looked very old. Is this weatherstrip @NikP installed something SLO made in attempt to seal the tailgate better, or was that original on the truck? The SLO seal doesn't seem like it would seal up against the window very well, but maybe it would.

IMG-1189.jpg

Last edited:
Oh... those felts. Yes, I plan to also add a wiper strip to the SLO lower seal but haven't figured out what yet. I used these on my side doors. Part # 70-3804-61 Outer Beltline and 70-0961-60 Weatherstrip Beltline from Steele Rubber Products.

I'm hoping the Slocruiser seal will serve as the outside wiper strip and all I need to do is glue the 70-0961-60 beltline to the inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom