Upper dash pad removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The sun has taken its toll on my 96 LC dash cracking it in numerous spots. I planned to get one of those dash covers at some point to cover it up.

It turns out a local junkyard has a 97 LX450 with what appears to be a very nice dash still in it. The operator said I could have it along with a few other parts I'm buying if I'm willing to pull it out myself.

I took a look at my dash last night and realized that the upper dash runs the full width of the windshield and even includes the top part of the front dash and all around the right side airbag. It looks like a lot of work to pull it apart.

Is there any recommended steps on how to pull the dash apart so that it can be done in a reasonable amount of time? Any special tools needed? Will the 97 LX upper dash fit my 96 LC?

Or, should I just get a dash cover and go wheel'n?

Thanks,

I had the same problem with mine(91 model). I picked up the dash on ebay so it was alleady out of the donor vehicle. No special tools required. Was a big job but gave me a chance to tidy up some wiring from all the extras fitted over the years. Not that hard of a job as long as you take your time and look for all the screws, don't force it or things will break.

I replaced my dash by removing it and putting in one from a donor. About a month later I drove to Moab and it cracked in the same place it did before. If you are going to go through all that work, make sure the new dash is worth the effort. I looked mine over and it looked perfectly fine but cracked shortly after the install. FWIW

i've been searching and would want to know the steps in removing the dash too. have to redo the aircon duct that the aircon repairman "unrepaired".

Maybe this could help a bit
93 dashpanel.JPG

Looking for some assistance on this topic. I got most of the dash pad clips and screws removed with the passenger side air vent as the only holdout.

How do you remove the passenger side air vent?

You have to remove the whole dash then remove the pad. I have a spare already out of the truck I can take some pictures of after work.

Looking for some assistance on this topic. I got most of the dash pad clips and screws removed with the passenger side air vent as the only holdout.

How do you remove the passenger side air vent?

I had the exact same problem. Even after removing the dash, I still cannot get the damn thing out without destroying it. As you probably have figured out, there is a bolt/screw just behind the vent. I ended up removing the engine ECU? and perhaps some other stuff and able to get a socket on the bolt head and then I used a long 1/4" drive extension slipped between the small vent openings to get it out.

You have to remove the whole dash then remove the pad. I have a spare already out of the truck I can take some pictures of after work.

Really? Sounds painful. How many hours we talkin'?

Really? Sounds painful. How many hours we talkin'?

It took me the better part of a whole day. Ended up removing the drivers seat just so I could unhook my hand throttle cable (I'm 6' 5"). I also had to deal with about a dozen wires that were for the "factory" heated seats. There was no connector behind the two heater switches in the dash, so all wires had to be cut and labelled. I found the FSM pretty much useless. I'm glad I labelled and placed all screws etc into small divided compartments of a storage box I purchased, as it has been over two months since I pulled the dash and it is still not reinstalled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom