upper and lower tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a buddy who just had his pink panty LX rear ended. He needs a upper and lower tail gate any guidance? The ins co gave him $2500 and he wants to do the work himself.

looking for parts

If going used try and fine an upper without the wind deflector. I have some small rust eating it's way out and I think it's that damn deflector as they used the nutsert deal like on the roof racks which some have had problems with.

Junk yards are the way to go. Just ask around every junk yard near you and ask if they have any 80 series cruisers.

The LX450 upper gate is the same as a 97 80. The 93-96 80 gate will not have the emblem holes in the proper place but that won't stop a good body man. The LX450 lower gate is not the same as an 80 because of the cladding and related mounting. Again an 80 gate could probably be modified by a good body man.

D-

Thanks guys, he found one for $650 shipped (inquiring about the glass). thanks anyone have one they want to sell? color is that desert dust ish. I tried to swap my rear bumper for an after market replacement and then directed him to Slee.

Also keep in mind a used lower tailgate might look structurally clean at first glance but actually be slightly bent/bowed downward from years of continuous "knee pressure". I believe there is a thread here somewhere that discusses the fix for pulling it straight. But obviously better to get a straight one to start with.

cruiserdan said:
The LX450 upper gate is the same as a 97 80. The 93-96 80 gate will not have the emblem holes in the proper place but that won't stop a good body man. The LX450 lower gate is not the same as an 80 because of the cladding and related mounting. Again an 80 gate could probably be modified by a good body man.

D-
Very true about the lower tail gate.

I wouldn't worry about the cladding though. In fact, if it wasn't on there (on the rear lower gate, I don't think anyone would really notice. Just my opinion.

If he does want the cladding on the lower tailgate, it would just require drilling a few holes to clip the cladding on.

Better yet, some strong auto body trim adhesive would do the trick without the need for drilling holes. The rear corner pieces are held on by VERY STRONG velcro on the rear corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom