Upholstery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone tell me the difference in fabric pattern for an fj60? I have brown interior. My fabric is tan with dark brown stitching. The only material I’ve found is tan, brown and gold. Was there a different pattern depending on the year? Mine is a 1987. Thank you-

F19E9BA6-F844-43A5-9AD4-701FD67C8AEF.png

Maybe. I’ve got grey so I can’t say for sure. Here’s a used rear seat cover in brown for sale. It’s listed as 1980-1990 for both the 60 and 62.

Maybe. I’ve got grey so I can’t say for sure. Here’s a used rear seat cover in brown for sale. It’s listed as 1980-1990 for both the 60 and 62.

Thanks for your reply however the link you sent me is the tan/brown/gold color. If you look at the picture in my post it’s tan with dark brown.

Can anyone tell me the difference in fabric pattern for an fj60? I have brown interior. My fabric is tan with dark brown stitching. The only material I’ve found is tan, brown and gold. Was there a different pattern depending on the year? Mine is a 1987. Thank you-

View attachment 2518798

there are 2 versions of fabric, the 1 you posted which is 87-90 and the earlier version which @cps432 posted a link to which is 81-86

Thanks for your reply however the link you sent me is the tan/brown/gold color. If you look at the picture in my post it’s tan with dark brown.
I see that. I suppose they do have different patterns for the brown. I’m not sure about the grey. Surely someone else has nerded out over brown land cruiser upholstery around here and will chime in soon!

I see that. I suppose they do have different patterns for the brown. I’m not sure about the grey. Surely someone else has nerded out over brown land cruiser upholstery around here and will chime in soon!

yes the blue grey interor went thru the same chnge at the same time, going from the wide stripe to the pinstripe

there are 2 versions of fabric, the 1 you posted which is 87-90 and the earlier version which @cps432 posted a link to which is 81-86
Thanks for the information, it’s much appreciated! If anyone has some tan fabric from an 87-90 I’m willing to pay top dollar. I need enough material to recover the drivers seat bottom.

Thanks for the information, it’s much appreciated! If anyone has some tan fabric from an 87-90 I’m willing to pay top dollar. I need enough material to recover the drivers seat bottom.

you can post up here in the classifieds:

you can try and find a decent passenger seat bottom and use it, find a rear bench seat and have a shop use it to make a "new" replacement for the driver bottom or use the new fabric that is very close to stock

I had this bookmarked for a future reupholstery project: [SMS Auto Fabrics] Not sure how close it is to OEM though and what the cost is per ft or yard.

Also check out this thread:

I had this bookmarked for a future reupholstery project: [SMS Auto Fabrics] Not sure how close it is to OEM though and what the cost is per ft or yard.

Also check out this thread:

SMS offers material in tan and grey colors, however it’s only available in the earlier (81 to 86) pattern. I ordered samples and verified this. In speaking with a customer service representative I was told the earlier pattern is the only pattern they have available.

you can post up here in the classifieds:

you can try and find a decent passenger seat bottom and use it, find a rear bench seat and have a shop use it to make a "new" replacement for the driver bottom or use the new fabric that is very close to stock
I have been looking for a used passenger seat or rear seat from which I can harvest the material. I have found numerous seats with the earlier pattern, but so far none with the later pattern. The new fabric from SMS is a good match for the earlier pattern but it’s quite different from the later.

There is this thread, but it mainly deals with the grey, not brown. Might be worth asking SMS if they have the brown, it wasn't answered when someone asked in the thread.

SMS offers material in tan and grey colors, however it’s only available in the earlier (81 to 86) pattern. I ordered samples and verified this. In speaking with a customer service representative I was told the earlier pattern is the only pattern they have available.

when I click on the link from @vankho it shows both the early and late fabric from SMS auto fabrics

I have been looking for a used passenger seat or rear seat from which I can harvest the material.

have you posted a wanted thread?

I got samples from them a couple months ago and they had the '87-'90 brown in a perfect match.

Edit: see photos below...not a perfect match.

Last edited:
I got samples from them a couple months ago and they had the '87-'90 brown in a perfect match.
Is it possible for you to post a picture of the tan sample you received from them? The sample I received is definitely the ‘earlier’ pattern and when I spoke with them they told me it’s the only pattern that’s available. It’s available in tan or grey, but again it’s the earlier (striped) pattern. Thank you!

Also - Nomad Cruisers on Facebook is selling new factory brown seat covers.