Upgrading Stereo Q's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Posted this in electronics section too... crickets... tumble weed rolls through town...:rolleyes:

So i hate to double post, but was wondering if those of you that have upgraded your stereo could chime in?

Looking for length of wire if i upgrade/rewire my 4 door speakers (from Tuffy). Also - thinking of using a 4ch amp to power them - where is a good spot to put it? (under DS is out - stock tools there).

Does anyone have 10's in the back quarters as subs? I'm not sure if they will fit, but would like to try. Should i run two amps if these fit (one for each 10)? or can i use one amp for both sub? Since most sub amps are mono...not sure...

I'm a noob on car audio... thanks for any suggestions!

rob

I'm looking at some 16 or 12 awg voodoo OFC wire (ebay not too spendy), or some nicer VHAudio wire... Just not sure if it's worth 8+$ a foot.

I wouldnt recommend subs in the side panels- The cardboard wouldn't be able to stand up to the vibrations, as it can barely handle my 6x9s. Also, the acoustics would be poor.

TOME - thanks man. I have 1/4" plastic instead of the carboard right now. I also will be lining the entire quarter w/ Damplifier Pro and possibly topped with Luxury Liner Pro...(if i have enough LLP) So hopefully a bit sturdier than stock and more sealed to act as an enclosure.

Here's a pic from my damplifier install showing hte rear panel w/ a 6x9 currently. I will be getting new panels if i try and go w/ 10's.
DSC_7879.JPG

Thanks!!
rob

That would probably work then. I would just make sure that you get enough of an enclosure for the amount of kick that you need, but that mainly depends on the music that you will be listening to. As for the wire, I used about 20-30 feet of monster cable that my dad had sitting around in the shop, and was able to wire the speakers all the way into the stock dash mount. I will be interested to see where people are putting their amps- that is on my to-do-list and I have been thinking about that.

You may be able to get a nice system setup with 2 amps. One 4-channel amp for the speakers in the doors. One 2-channel amp for the subs. You would need to calculate the length of speaker wire needed from where you place the amp to the speakers. The best thing to do is plan out where you want the speakers and amps first. Then figure out the length of wire necessary...

Good luck!

I'm trying to figure out depth issues all the way around... Looks like 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 in for front speakers, and 4 1/2 - 5 in for a sub in the rear quarter... Pretty slim for both.

i'd like to run 6.5 components in front and 6.5 coax in back. Subs are tough to figure out as well. Just not as much room as i thought. I'll keep searching. Mac Audio makes some SWEET speakers, but doesn't look like they sell them in the US (makes it tough)... Not even sure how $$ they are, but guessing VERY. Oh well - never hurts to dream!

thx for the help as always guys!

rob

If your not going to stocky you can take out the heater under the passenger seat and put an amp down there, although it depends on the size of the amp too...mine BARELY fits under there.

I've got a mono block 1000W wired to 2 12" subs. It will work. Wire your subs/speakers in parallel - but make sure that the ohm rating of the speakers matches your amplifier's range.

-jake

I got my 4 channel amp mounted behind the driver side panel in the trunk. Does your tuffy have a separate door for the stereo? My box has one door and it was a pain opening it to adjust the stereo. I pulled it out and put it back in the dash. I wouldn't waste your money on really expensive speaker wire. Especially if you are not even going to use a amplifier. Just get some good quality wire.

Speaker wire length I would measure yourself with a tape measure the route you want to run them.

I put my amp under the passenger seat. Good fit and have not had any issues.

I've got a mono block 1000W wired to 2 12" subs. It will work. Wire your subs/speakers in parallel - but make sure that the ohm rating of the speakers matches your amplifier's range.

-jake

where is the amp, where are the subs - guessing in a box?

thx guys!

rob

I got my 4 channel amp mounted behind the driver side panel in the trunk. Does your tuffy have a separate door for the stereo? My box has one door and it was a pain opening it to adjust the stereo. I pulled it out and put it back in the dash. I wouldn't waste your money on really expensive speaker wire. Especially if you are not even going to use a amplifier. Just get some good quality wire.

Speaker wire length I would measure yourself with a tape measure the route you want to run them.

very true. I am definitely using 1 4ch amp for the doors. Now trying to figure out where to mount it (thinking quarter panel as well).

thanks - i guess with all the variables it's hard to generalize how much i'll need. one RCA cable from the head to 4 ch, then wire to 4 doors, one RCA's to sub amp(s) and wire to subs.

hmm... Anyone played with the shallow series pioneer 10 and 12" subs? (premier for both) [SIZE=+1]Pioneer TS-SW1001S2[/SIZE] and [SIZE=+1]Pioneer TS-SW1201S2[/SIZE] - those look promising.
("borrowed" pic from carmedia.com):
pioneer%20ts-sw1201s2.jpg

They are "built" for enclosures 10" = 0.35 ~ 0.7 Cubic Feet, and 12" = 0.5 ~ 1.0 Cubic Feet... I'm no math genius, but the panel is a couple feet long by 5-6" deep so it should be a couple cubic feet right? A bigger enclosure than the sub is intended for = what difference?

slowly working this out - so many options!

rob

and my tuffy has the seperate stereo bay, which is VERY nice!

I put my amp under the passenger seat. Good fit and have not had any issues.

except this is in a 60, and that's where the rear heater is for me... I didn't specify so very good suggestion. Not willing to ditch the heater just yet (it starts leaking and it's a gonner).

:cheers:
rob

I put a 1000w amp in the right rear quarter behind the panel, and the 10" sub in the left rear panel. The box for it was a bit of a pain to build, but I was able to get the min volume for the 10" sub and make it a shape that would fit. It sounds really good. I just use a decent pioneer head unit to drive the fron 6" door speakers and rear 6x9's.

I like it all.. the amp and sub are totally out of the way, and I have my rear heat still. also, the back is totally open for gear.
DSCN6290 (Medium).JPG

I put a 1000w amp in the right rear quarter behind the panel, and the 10" sub in the left rear panel. The box for it was a bit of a pain to build, but I was able to get the min volume for the 10" sub and make it a shape that would fit. It sounds really good. I just use a decent pioneer head unit to drive the fron 6" door speakers and rear 6x9's.

I like it all.. the amp and sub are totally out of the way, and I have my rear heat still. also, the back is totally open for gear.

NICE! that's what i am leaning towards now. So the panel you show w/ the 10 in it is actually incorporating a box for the sub - not open on the back of the 10? How big - pics of how you built it?

rob

not sure of the brand but my buddys worken on a stereo for his runner (my idea he's just better with the sound stuff and has the $$$$ to tinker) involving shallow 10"s and jerry cans. they sound nice. i think they might even be the pioneers pictured above. best part is you cant tell there there. he has em mounted with the speakers facing the cargo panels.

im gunna have him set up something similar, shallow 10's in the cargo panels and possibly put the amps and all that stuff hidden in pass side cargo pannel sence theres already stuff that kinda hasta be there.

I'd have to take the panel off to take pics.. I built it all pretty quickly and didn't have my camera on me at the time.

The box is behind the panel and I actually mounted it to the steel structure of the body just behind the panel. the Panel just sits on top of it all and holds the 6x9's. I can listen to it with th ebass turned up pretty loud and I don't get any rattles. It has stayed tight for a while now.

If yo ureally want I can take that panel off next week sometime and snap some photos, just PM me a reminder or shoot me an email marco.capote@gmail.com

So i did a TON of research today. I am pretty certain i will use the slim 10's. I am trying to decide on components for the front... And Amps.

Sony XM-1S and XM-4S both look good.

If i can swing it maybe - JL Audio HD600/4 and JL HD750/1. BIG maybe...

Components i'm leaning towards Pioneer PRS720's.

I'm also on DIYMA.com forums and getting some good info. Man am i a noob!! lol

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom