Upgrading axles on 64 fj45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star
Threads
Need some help and would it be good idea to do. I have a 11-64 fj45 that is completley tore apart right now. I have some 78 axles complete , How hard to do all the brake lines would it be and how about the fire wall ? What all would i have to do to the fire wall. The only reason i am thinking about this swap is to have disk brake front for household 6 and my soft lines are about shot at the axles. The only thing that worries me is the fire wall, how much do i need to take out for the brake set up.

Thanks much for any and all help and ideas upfront.

I'm kinda in the same boat you are. I just bought a brake booster off of ebay a couple weeks ago off of an 85 forerunner. I haven't researched it to much, but the idea with the forerunner booster is that it is shorter and doesn't hang out so far as the FJ40 boosters do. I also bought an an adaptor to go from the newer 4 bolt booster to the 3 bolt on the lv firewall. I plan on using the master cyl. off the 79 FJ40 I am parting out and making the brake lines on the firewall.

I don't know a lot about it, but supposed to work fine and easy. I think I have to lengthen the rod on the booster, but that should be easy. I should know more when I get to that part.

Hope this helps, Matt
brake.jpg

used a very similar adapter from Mark's off road in burbank.. Works great. Extend the pushrod have brakes..
on a 64 you will need to run all new brake fittings if your upgrading to newer axles. the old ones are not a standard fitting size anymore.
What I did is put 77 axles under my 64. Used all new flex and drop hoses, the fitting off the donor vehicle and built new brake hard lines all the way thru the truck. hardest fitting to find it the split on the pass side frame that goes front to rear with the new lines. You will need to remove the old brake lines that run all the way around the frame and the old system is a one circuit system.

Erik, just tore all the old lines off the other day. Am sandblasting the frame completely down and then starting from new. Looks like i will price this set up as i have non of the lines form another vehicle. All I have are the axles complete.

Thanks much Eric and Matt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom