Upgrading a 94 to a 97--worth it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a 97 in either flavor with around 100k. Right now I have a locked 94 w/145k that is well built and I would take all the stuff like the precision gears, ARB bumper, OME lift, radiator, etc and put it on the 97. Guess the snorkel/sliders would have to stay! All the maintenance would have to be done again along with the birfs. I would also have to drive the new one down to Mexico 1500 miles and drive the old one back up to the states to sell it. I would probably take about 3 months to do the total turn around. Think it is worth the trouble?

I would stick with the one you have. You know what has and has not been done to it service wise. Also you would have to swap parts and go through other hassles that to me would not be worth it. Also, if it were me I would stick to the non airbag model if I lived in Mexico. Thats one more expensive part that would be difficult to get if you were ever involved in a minor fender bender.

I agree with Ary on this.

If your truck is doing fine then what reason is there to sell it. I have 260k miles and cant ever see selling it to get a different year, low mileage truck. When the drivetrain gets old, why not just rebuild it.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Nope, what do you stand to gain besides a different dashboard, weaker tranny, and slightly less miles? You'd lose $$ on the deal too, which I think would more than make up for the difference in miles.

Ary

You mean the "weaker" tranny that doesn't have the flaring problems and solenoid problems of the A442F? Oh, ok. :rolleyes:

That said, I think you should stick with your rig if you've been with it for a while and if you've done all the maintenance. You know where it's been.

not worth the trouble if you don't know the new rig and you spent plenty of time on the ole one.

Need I say "Doug and the cracked head case"... ? (sorry Doug :frown: )

I did what you propose a few years back. I thought it was totally worth doing.

HOWEVER, my 94 was bone stock, so, aside from maintenance, I didn't have much invested in it.

If yours was stock, I'd say go for it. Given that you've made your mods and the difference in miles isn't all that great, I don't think you should bother.

I would keep the 94 unless there is a 97 that you really want. But you will be out a lot of $$ to get back to where you are.

Course, you could buy a second one . . .

Not a 97 but....There's a cherry 94 at the neighborhood Toy dealer. Locked, no rack, absolutely perfect inside and out. 70k miles or so (50k less than mine). It's been there for a month now and I know it can be bought at the right price. I just can't get myself to give up mine for it because I "know" mine. It takes a while to develop the trust.

yeah doesn't sound worth it for all the work you put into yours. What is it about the newer one that makes it worth all the effort?

Personally, I think the older dash looks fine. If it's power, can you get a SC for yours? That would be cheaper than all the time and $ to swap over to a 97

Why trade? You pretty much have everything a LC should have, plus you've done all the PM. Why start over, to Install another snorkel, another set of sliders to much work. I don't think its worth it.

I'd keep the 94. What do they say - "the devil you know is better than the devil you don't know."

3,000 miles in 3 months? You can do better than that! Put it in high range!;)

alaskacruiser said:
You mean the "weaker" tranny that doesn't have the flaring problems and solenoid problems of the A442F? Oh, ok. :rolleyes:

That said, I think you should stick with your rig if you've been with it for a while and if you've done all the maintenance. You know where it's been.

Need I cite the fact that there is a factory bulletin that states that the 343 was produced without enough balls and some need to be added to correct the operation?...:flipoff2:

if you can afford it get the 97 and keep the 94, make the 97 a pavenment hauler and run the 94 off road.

other than that keep the 94, there are some minor improvements over the years but nothing close to selling your rig for.

cruiserdan said:
Need I cite the fact that there is a factory bulletin that states that the 343 was produced without enough balls and some need to be added to correct the operation?...:flipoff2:

CDan- I was waiting for this exact response from you. This should be our 80's-Tech comedy routine now. :cheers:

A three year difference for change is only worthwhile for people who don't do their own maintenance, haven't a clue as to how to maintain a car and don't have the time nor inclination to learn. In short, a suit. In your case I suspect you just want to have new problems to work on. I sure wish I had you next door....

Kalawang

If you get the 97, besides the weak corolla tranny, you get those funny things they put in the steering wheel. What do they call them...oh, airbags. In most cases there is already an airbag behind the wheel, why would you want one in the wheel.:D

The weaker tranny wouldn't keep me away. But the idea of having a better chance of a head gasket problem might. If it had already been done on the 97 I'd be more apt to go for it. I'm at 208,000 on my 94 and I don't foresee any really major future problems. In another 80,000 miles I'm hoping something happens to the motor so I can convince my wife I need to do an engine conversion. I think I will try to make it to 300,000 before I consider pulling a good motor to put a stinky diesel in.

Thanks guys---for setting me straight. I'm only allowed 1 U.S. car here and I have been unable to convince my wife that she needs an 80! I can however import cars over 30 years old(FJ) or anything built in America that is 10 years or older--problem is I don't have any interest in American built. I'm at 145k and average about 10k per year--so another 5 years should be easy. I'm interested in the new Tundra coming with the diesel......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom