Upgrades for off roofing my 1999 Lexus lx 470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I disagree with the order of modifications, but in OP's case it is trivial as he doesn't need any of this stuff yet and everyone has their own way of doing things.
totally, you get to do it however you want. But I see way more people on the trail destroying rockers on simple goof ups than I see folks puncturing trans or oil pans. It's pretty hard to force your rig into a situation where you are dragging the belly over large boulders without noticing while It's easy to cut a corner or get high centered on a simple looking obstacle. I had a my slider save my rocker on black bear pass... which, really shouldn't have been the case, but it happened... my sliders have saved me more times than I can count.

My 02...

1. Your favorite set of AT tires in 285/75/16. No need for new rims.
2. Recovery Gear [snatch strap and shackles]
3. Sliders when money permits. Mine have saved me more then i can count. $500 ish...

This should get you pretty far without affecting your ride performance and help you learn what else you may want along the way.

For reference, my stock 99 LX has some some decently technical stuff with stock tires/rims. It has ATs now but haven't had a chance to really use them. So much of that stuff is not needed unless you are really going after it.

Get a roof top tent, take pictures of it installed at the mall at night, and you're golden. Case closed.
You'll all are laughing, but this is what all the hipsters are doing, and they call it Overlanding. What a joke. When really our rigs go up 99.9% of the trails stock, and all you need is a 7lb tent thrown in the back.

Unless you're camping in the African Savanah, no need for a roof top tent. I see a roof top in NA, I see hipster.

Last edited:
You'll all are laughing, but this is what all the hipsters are doing, and they call it Overlanding. What a joke. When really our rigs go up 99.9% of the trails stock, and all you need is a 7lb tent thrown in the back.

Unless you're camping in the African Savanah, no need for a roof top tent. I see a roof top in NA, I see hipster.

I mostly agree with this but there's been many times where I find a spot right next to a river where there isn't really space for a tent. Or the ground is really muddy, so i can see the appeal. But i.usuay just end up sleeping in the back on my $15 "sleeping platform" 😂

I mostly agree with this but there's been many times where I find a spot right next to a river where there isn't really space for a tent. Or the ground is really muddy, so i can see the appeal. But i.usuay just end up sleeping in the back on my $15 "sleeping platform" 😂
The roof top tent is for environments where lions and hyenas are. Shoot, bears in NA are babies.

The roof top tent is for environments where lions and hyenas are. Shoot, bears in NA are babies.
Bears in North America are climbers 👍

Doesn't apply everywhere, but we see a lot of this in CO - distance for a legal campsite in a NF is 100 ft from water source with the FS asking people to set up no closer than 200 ft. RTT guy literally on the water with an entire kitchen and living room set up.

But we are off topic, OP have fun with your setup and good luck with whatever you do. Seems like maybe you're already out there camping.

My 02...

1. Your favorite set of AT tires in 285/75/16. No need for new rims.
2. Recovery Gear [snatch strap and shackles]
3. Sliders when money permits. Mine have saved me more then i can count. $500 ish...

This should get you pretty far without affecting your ride performance and help you learn what else you may want along the way.
What kind of tired do you recommend? I am looking for more of an all terrain type of tire.
Open Range A/T All-Terrain Tires for LT, SUV - Les Schwab - https://www.lesschwab.com/open-range-a-t-tires-715438.html Here is a link to one that I am looking at. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom