Upgraded Tires to 31’s and Now They Rub (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Read a bunch of threads and debates here on 31 vs. 33 KO2’s and pulled the trigger on the 31’s for my stock, still OEM suspension, 86 FJ60. I upgraded from wild country 30x9x15 on the OEM rims, and now have an odd problem.

When turning right, I get what sounds like a loud rubbing sound and vibration. No problems turning left. I went back to shop and they say clearances for tires/wheels look good on front wheels. It’s kind of hard to tell direction/source of sound when driving in circles in parking lot, but when at speed on road it almost sounds like coming from rear tires.

These tires ought to fit, should I press harder on the tire shop or is an old suspension a likely culprit? I’d appreciate any insight from those more experienced than me.

Your leaf springs are probably sagging too much. 33’s should fit the stock springs as long as they aren’t flat. Cruiser outfitters sells suspension kits and they’re great help getting you set up to meet your needs.

Edit: Post some pics

Rear
71557A07-AE7A-4DE4-8057-C2CC8FD13B52.jpeg

Front
B6143B4A-D802-48FD-BA86-410356D5951B.jpeg

Read a bunch of threads and debates here on 31 vs. 33 KO2’s and pulled the trigger on the 31’s for my stock, still OEM suspension, 86 FJ60. I upgraded from wild country 30x9x15 on the OEM rims, and now have an odd problem.

When turning right, I get what sounds like a loud rubbing sound and vibration. No problems turning left. I went back to shop and they say clearances for tires/wheels look good on front wheels. It’s kind of hard to tell direction/source of sound when driving in circles in parking lot, but when at speed on road it almost sounds like coming from rear tires.

These tires ought to fit, should I press harder on the tire shop or is an old suspension a likely culprit? I’d appreciate any insight from those more experienced than me.
turn full right, when noise starts stop without straightening steering wheel. check trailing edge of right front and leading edge of left front.
are you describing two different sounds? the 'at speed" has me confused. could just be new tires, new tread pattern, new the way it sounds

front + rear leafs are flat!

Rears are definitely flat. Flatter than the fronts. I could see them rubbing if you really flex that rear axle, however the front looks like it should ride fine with those tires. Can you see where the rubber is catching?
KO2s are pretty quiet compared to other off road tires, but they aren’t silent.

turn full right, when noise starts stop without straightening steering wheel. check trailing edge of right front and leading edge of left front.
are you describing two different sounds? the 'at speed" has me confused. could just be new tires, new tread pattern, new the way it sounds
When sitting still and steering wheel turned full left and full right, there appears to be nothing binding on the front wheels. When in a parking lot and driving in a left hand circle (1st gear 10mph) normal sounds, but when I drive in a right hand circle (1st gear 10mph), then there is a running sound you can hear and kinda feel. Also, when taking a right hand turn (90 degree) at 15-20, there is that same rubbing sound that wasn’t there before I had the new tires mounted.

When sitting still and steering wheel turned full left and full right, there appears to be nothing binding on the front wheels. When in a parking lot and driving in a left hand circle (1st gear 10mph) normal sounds, but when I drive in a right hand circle (1st gear 10mph), then there is a running sound you can hear and kinda feel. Also, when taking a right hand turn (90 degree) at 15-20, there is that same rubbing sound that wasn’t there before I had the new tires mounted.
so you have no shiny, just polished metal anywhere around the tires? i.e. the edge of the springs, inner fenders. just trying eliminate possibilities. cuz if it's rubbing, it's polishing metal

Instead of running for answers - please go outside and inspect the truck. Have someone turn the wheel and actually look. 33s on stock suspension do not rub lock to lock until you're starting to flex them out, because I ran them on stock suspension :) If its the rear, please look around the entire wheel area. The wheel/tire does not actually move, just rotates in the rear unless flexed, so it's very likely something else.

Rears when fully compressed rub on the inner well, so I put 2 " spacers, fronts never made a peep. Inspect the steering limiters. If you are actually rubbing, it's clear as day. If its coming from the rear, just look and listen.

When turning right, mine (with 33's and OME 2.5) rubs against the factory tailpipe routing. The tailpipe swings right by the inner edge of the driver rear tire, and when the spring is flexed contacts it a bit. Makes an easy to see mark on the tailpipe. Mine needs to flex some to do it so if the body rolls heavily or going over bumps when turning (like pulling into a driveway or something) I can hear it. With springs as flat as yours are in the rear, maybe you can check and see if this is what you are hearing. The springs are worn, time to replace. This could be many things. You just need to get under the truck and look. GL HTH.

31" tires on OEM rims should not rub anywhere even with the springs hitting the bump stops. First I've heard of an exhaust rub with OEM rims. Not doubting, just first I've heard.

As others have said, go look for new rubs. Check your wheel bearings for play. Look for deteriorated shackle bushings. Was any other maintenance performed in the same time frame? Brakes, exhaust, steering, ...?

Had the muffler replaced a few months ago and the new tire and new pipe are very close when parked. Like about a 1/4 inch close. Going to double check the pipe for rub marks after it gets a bit lighter here in Seattle. Also going to crawl under there and triple check the weights they attached to the inside of the wheels to make sure they aren’t hitting anywhere. Everything sounds about same when going straight and turning left, so just these right hand turns to figure out.

As the others say, you’re dragging ass a little but it shouldn’t make a difference with 31s. The tires themselves ought to offer evidence of rub or not. You can also run some talc or cornstarch on them which might uncover a rub.

I see you’re in the Seattle area. Me too. Which part?

Had the muffler replaced a few months ago and the new tire and new pipe are very close when parked. Like about a 1/4 inch close. Going to double check the pipe for rub marks after it gets a bit lighter here in Seattle. Also going to crawl under there and triple check the weights they attached to the inside of the wheels to make sure they aren’t hitting anywhere. Everything sounds about same when going straight and turning left, so just these right hand turns to figure out.

I'll add here that when this happens and the tire hits the pipe, it rumbles throughout the truck for a second. Vibrates pretty good due to the lugs in the tread. Should be easy to spot if thats it for you. I am getting new exhaust in the next week or so to hopefully take care of it. HTH.

exhaust2.jpg
exhaust3.jpg
exhaust4.jpg

Winner winner chicken dinner: tire was rubbing up against exhaust.

They guys at exhaust shop were too busy to fully fix today, but they hit pipe with torch for a few minutes and gave her a nudge out of the way. No more rubbing sound when turning right. I’ll have them reroute exhaust a little more permanently next week when I am not just dropping in on them.

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom