upgraded HID relay sets available. LX or LC specific input connector. (1 Viewer)

jerryb

Supporting Vendor
It's a pretty well known fact the wiring, the connectors, and the relay in the standard heavy duty relay set up are horrible. If you don't have problems you're lucky. I've had two different sets fail, either relay or wiring in over 3.5 years. Beefed up wiring helped in the last one from 2018 but then the last straw was a few weeks ago with another flickering and failing/slow to ignite. This is with xb35 ballasts, which I like. Like everyone else I went straight to blaming the bulb, ballast or ignitor cord. When all along it was the relay set up.

So I made my own set up but followed the same make up regarding grounds, or lack there of, and length of wires ect. I used the best connectors and rated terminals. from Delphi/APTIV, these are OEM GM. ALSO for LX the specific sumitomo 3 way male connector for the input to the harness for the LX version.
1604387879399.png

Dual relay set ups are overkill I believe unless there is another reason, and there are a few valid reasons. Keeping two systems separated for example.

The standard single relay with split ballast inputs and single ground ring terminal works fine by itself. That's not to say it's perfect, but it's the easiest hook up and the easiest to access and mount if you use the m6 bolt on the fender next to the airbox.
This is the most convenient location for the mount and the ground. Both are M6 rings.
The power ring terminal is a M8, that fits either your main fusible link bolt, the vertical one, or the main clamp bolt horizontal if you have the stock bolt.

Any configuration is available. Singles for each ballast separating everything, merged #30 and #87 with individual grounds for each ballast, separate ground lug for the far mounted ballast, etc.

***a few questions need answered if you need or want a harness, to make it as perfect as it can be.
Where are your ballasts mounted?

Where is your relay mounted? do you mind switching it to the air box side?

Which connector are you using for the OEM input connector? see the first pic with OEM input green label on the LC version =9006

OR the oem LX connector, second pic, if you have not cut it off already from the car side harness. Compare the pics you can see the difference and hopefully determine which you need.

The value here is never messing with them ever again and when something is wrong it's normally going to be the ignitor cord, bulb or ballast. The connectors are the best you can buy (male especially). The female ballast inputs 9006, they are extremely good, rated, and OEM on other makes besides toyota. They are also not universal with 9005 (the high beam in both LX and LC) The way they fit into ballasts and the stock connectors is perfect.
headlight connector thread.

I found one company that makes a similar harness with dual relays, (same hellas) for $159.
I'm offering the standard single for $80 shipped. Made to mount on the passenger fender by the daytime running light relay, or the crossmember above the passenger side headlight- M6 bolt mount hole.
Double set up, same wire configuration 120$ shipped.
Any other imaginable configuration just ask me, other wire gauge also. Extra standby relay/s to swap in 15$ when ordered with a harness. I cannot offer them for 15$ by themselves.

Also I have splitters with the high beam connectors made up. 25$ shipped. 18,16 gauge. 12" long.

I'm not trying to convince anyone they need a better harness. But this will solve problems. The relay is good, replaceable, and available anywhere. GXL wire does not burn, compared to ALL the other cheap stuff out there.

As always I will take returns and refund or fix/alter/change whatever is needed or broken.
Just PM me with what you want. I make as directed and don't keep them standing by.

relay single.jpg

LX hella relay F version.jpg

lexus low beam.jpg

LC low beam.jpg

Last edited:

saucebox

Slobivius Americanus

If you're on the fence, you should know this blows the standard Morimoto harness out of the water. It's well built, the instructions are easy, and it only takes a few minutes to install (10 tops). Finally, my HIDs work as they should. Instant-on, no more flickering, and the sometimes-one-side-won't-fire is gone.

I got Lou's headlight conversion a while back—D2S 4.0 (I think), with XB55 ballasts. I'm on my sixth ballast for the driver's side, and I think they kept getting fried for a lack of voltage. Normally I'd rip it all out and go back to Toyota reliability, but the output is worth the hassle. Time will tell, but I think those problems are behind me now.

Is the standard single relay rated for XB55's? Or maybe the relay can be swapped with something with more current carrying capacity?

jerryb

Supporting Vendor
Yes it is. It's a 40A normally open hella relay. I will post specs if needed. It is running in a xb55 ballast set up right now. (Saucebox).

If you mean is the car's relay rated for 40 amps. I don't know but I wouldn't do it. Your low beam fuses are 20A, low beam relays I'm not sure. They are not replaceable in later 100s, not sure of the early 100s.

burn3.jpg

Last edited:

saucebox

Slobivius Americanus

I'm only a couple of weeks in, but so far the single Hella relay is working better than the Morimoto double-relay harness ever could. It's worked from 80º to just above 20º, snow, rain, sun...you name it. (Been a weird couple of weeks for sure). I haven't checked what sort of amperage is best or ideal for XB55s so I don't know that, but the harness works fine.

jerryb

Supporting Vendor
I've seen proof of 58-59 watts steady. (D2S) But in that instance inrush wasn't measured. So at 12V it's 5A +or-, less at 14V.
For me the fault has always been on the longer wired legged ballast. Either XB or hylux, flicker or failure to ignite (14 gauge wire @ 14 feet or so)
XBs do maintain their output rating above their label. I'm sure there's an accuracy margin.

Yes it is. It's a 40A normally open hella relay. I will post specs if needed. It is running in a xb55 ballast set up right now. (Saucebox).

If you mean is the car's relay rated for 40 amps. I don't know but I wouldn't do it. Your low beam fuses are 20A, low beam relays I'm not sure. They are not replaceable in later 100s, not sure of the early 100s.
Thanks Jerryb. That's all I needed to know. I'll be in touch with you later today! I'd probably like mine in the "stock" configuration (relay by the battery), but I'll take a look at the setup and see what other adjustments I might need.

jerryb

Supporting Vendor
LX specific connector relay set up will be available next week. Mon-Tues.
Here's what the OEM connector looks like. This would be on the OEM input line going to the relay. (trigger #85 and #86)
You wouldn't have to cut anything off your own harness to plug this in.
I do have one used LX connector I could make one with. The relevant toyota part number that's the same as this part number -6187-3281 is 90980-11293
1604387415044.png

Last edited:

jerryb

Supporting Vendor
updated #1 with info to help me make your harness the way you need it.

***a few questions need answered if you need or want a harness, to make it as perfect as it can be.
Where are your ballasts mounted?

Where is your relay mounted? do you mind switching it to the air box side?

Which connector are you using for the OEM input connector? see the first pic with OEM input green label on the LC version =9006
OR the oem LX connector, second pic, if you have not cut it off already from the car side harness. Compare the pics you can see the difference and hopefully determine which you need.

Flipped Bezel

SILVER Star
I just finished installing this upgraded HID harness that Jerry made for me using the correct Lexus low beam input connection. I had already cut and spliced into the driver's side light harness a couple years ago and I originally had the Morimoto dual relay mounted on that side of the fender also just behind the battery.

Let me start by saying Jerry's harness is MUCH better made than the Morimoto harness and uses very high quality wiring, components and connectors and is extremely well put together. Seeing them both side by side, it was an obvious night and day difference in quality and construction. I wish I had taken a comparison photo before installation to visibly illustrate these differences.

Since I had already modified my driver's side light harness, I had Jerry make my new harness to mount the relay on the passenger fender well instead. I am very glad that I went this route as that side is super easy to mount and access the relay. It also made the harness much more easily installed and organized near the airbox where space is way more available than on the battery side.

jerryb hid harness install 2.jpg

I ran the driver side ballast and battery leads across the top of the radiator along the existing wire bundle already running there. I wrapped both of them in a 4' long fire retardant plastic split loom to add some additional protection to the harness and zip tied it to the other wire loom to keep it straight and tight. Now I need to source the rubber mounts that hold the wiring and A/C high pressure line on top of the radiator as those things have long been separated and held in place with large zip ties to secure them.

jerryb hid harness install 3.jpg

jerryb hid harness install 4.jpg

jerryb hid harness install 5.jpg

Connection to the battery and driver's ballast is simple. Jerry made my harness with no ground to connect on that side. The harness fits perfectly with just the right amount of wire to reach my ballast that I decided to keep mounted high on the fender to the outside of the battery. This location allows me easy access to reach the ballast without having to unbolt or move the battery.

jerryb hid harness install 6.jpg

All in all it was a super easy installation due to the great fit and finish of Jerry's harness. No need to cut and fit the Morimoto harness to fit the LX engine bay or as in my previous installation leaving a rat's nest of bundled up excess wiring cluttering up the area behind my battery.

If you are spending the money to upgrade to HID's this upgraded harness should provide for a long service life, allow for no wire cutting installation and prevent future issues that can arise with the inferior Morimoto supplied harness. @jerryb has got your HID wiring solution to make your light installation a breeze!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom