Upgraded head lights...problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
steelheadoutfitters.com
I just installed the plug and play factory option on my '85 FJ60. Plugged the new harness into the passenger side outlet, wired positive and negative to the battery, mounted the relays...pretty much seemed like a no brainer.

Problem. The high beams are engaged at all times even when I switch to low beam. Both high and low beams are functioning but the high beam is not disengaging when I switch to low beam.

Any I idea what might cause this?

-

Last edited:
Try using the drivers side original headlight cable as the trigger, not the passenger side.

If that doesn’t work - harness is defective. Also blue high beam indicator on the dash should work once you get it working correctly. If it doesn’t light up, harness is defective. Get an ARB harness. The harness needs 3 relays in it in order for the blue high beam indicator to work.

Try using the drivers side original headlight cable as the trigger, not the passenger side.

If that doesn’t work - harness is defective. Also blue high beam indicator on the dash should work once you get it working correctly. If it doesn’t light up, harness is defective. Get an ARB harness. The harness needs 3 relays in it in order for the blue high beam indicator to work.
I'll try that but the high beam indicator light stopped working a few weeks back. Thanks.

@SSICKLE1 If it's the Koito headlight kit from Toyota, the high beam indicator will not work. I make a module that plugs into the empty H4 connector of the factory harness that makes it work.

You can get that HERE.

It does sound like your harness is bunk right out of the box. It may be that the Koito harness H4 connector that plugs into one of the truck's original headlight receptacles was mis-pinned. Or it could have a relay that was mis-wired or faulty. Can you send a photo of the main H$ connector on the Koito harness - the one that plugs into the truck wiring - that shows the wire colors of the Koito harness? I'll compare to mine.

@SSICKLE1 If it's the Koito headlight kit from Toyota, the high beam indicator will not work. I make a module that plugs into the empty H4 connector of the factory harness that makes it work.

You can get that HERE.

It does sound like your harness is bunk right out of the box. It may be that the Koito harness H4 connector that plugs into one of the truck's original headlight receptacles was mis-pinned. Or it could have a relay that was mis-wired or faulty. Can you send a photo of the main H$ connector on the Koito harness - the one that plugs into the truck wiring - that shows the wire colors of the Koito harness? I'll compare to mine.
Yes, the Koito headlight kit. I bought the indicator light fix b ut I'll need to fix the bulb first.

Here's the truck side and the harness side. I did notice some electrical tape on the wires upstream from picture number one, the truck side.

connectors.JPG

IMG_2355.JPG

Last edited:
Saw the order come through - thanks! You’ll need to make sure your truck and Koito wiring is functional FIRST before plugging the module in. Voltage on the wrong pins WILL kill it.

I’ll check my truck later today and get a visual on the Koito side. It really looks like your truck side harness has been monkeyed with though. The original Toyota wiring is not all black, and the connector itself is a “natural” (off white) plastic - also not black. There’s some testing you can do to determine if it’s wired correctly though. Can you do basic stuff with a multimeter?

@SSICKLE1 Also - how about a photo of the OTHER H4 connector of the original harness? You know, the truck’s harness has an H4 for the left headlight and another for the right. You posted one above … let’s see the other one.

@SSICKLE1 Also - how about a photo of the OTHER H4 connector of the original harness? You know, the truck’s harness has an H4 for the left headlight and another for the right. You posted one above … let’s see the other one.
I have very basic electric skills but I do have a multi meter. I saw that the wiring had been messed with but figured since it worked before it should be fine, unless you need too switch the wires to put halogen sealed beam light in, that's what came out.

here's the other side.

IMG_2357driver side.JPG

IMG_2358.JPG

So I plugged the Harness into the drivers side outlet (original wires) and the light function properly. So I guess I need rewire the altered outlet on the passengers side.

Should I just wire it into the new harness and ship the male and female plug ins?

So I plugged the Harness into the drivers side outlet (original wires) and the light function properly. So I guess I need rewire the altered outlet on the passengers side.

Should I just wire it into the new harness and ship the male and female plug ins?
No. That black plug with the black wires needs to be corrected in how it attaches to the original harness. The Koito harness functions on a switched positive scheme and the rest of the truck functions on a switched negative.

No. That black plug with the black wires needs to be corrected in how it attaches to the original harness. The Koito harness functions on a switched positive scheme and the rest of the truck functions on a switched negative.
a fixing we will go. Thank you. I don't know what switched positive and switched negative are but I'm pretty sure I can wire it back the way its supposed to be.

Gracias.

turns out the wires are not the same color on passenger side as drivers side

drivers side is wired left to right yellow,greenwhite. passenger side is blue, green,white.

You can get that HERE.

Im betting this works on my BJ74. I have the Koitos and same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom