Upgraded from the first gen Dakota Digital VHX to the HDX (review) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wanted to resurrect this thread because y'all seem to know a thing or two about these Dakota gauges. I'm considering purchasing, but I'm not sure of the differences, other than cosmetic (large LED readout on HDX) between the VHX and HDX. I like the look of either one. All I want is a fully functional gauge cluster with more modern operation. I'll buy the GPS module at the same time.

A few questions:
- Can I use the VHX with my stock 1971 40?
- How much electrical cutting/soldering/connecting will need to be done during install? It looks like the gauges come with universal senders and wiring, so I suspect I can either reuse existing/stock senders or utilize the new ones included in the package, is that correct?

Also, isn't there a vendor on Mud who's selling the Dakotas?

Wanted to resurrect this thread because y'all seem to know a thing or two about these Dakota gauges. I'm considering purchasing, but I'm not sure of the differences, other than cosmetic (large LED readout on HDX) between the VHX and HDX. I like the look of either one. All I want is a fully functional gauge cluster with more modern operation. I'll buy the GPS module at the same time.

A few questions:
- How much electrical cutting/soldering/connecting will need to be done during install? It looks like the gauges come with universal senders and wiring, so I suspect I can either reuse existing/stock senders or utilize the new ones included in the package, is that correct?

If that’s all you want the VHX will be fine. The HDX just gives you many more options. I just got the HDX but haven’t installed it yet. I got the GPS module, fuel pressure module, outdoor temp module and THE OBDII module. The factory sending units, other than the fuel sender, will not be used with the new gauges, you have to use the ones that come with it unless you get the OBDII module and have a late model engine. None of the factory wiring goes directly to the gauges and will be ran to the main control module that’s separate from the gauges.

@Rock_Hugger awesome. Thanks. Didn't know I'd need to install new sensors. That's fine. My oil pressure and temp gauge don't work anyway.

A few questions:

Hi I am still selling these. If you are interested PM me for pricing. I am happy to help.

Like mentioned the biggest benefit to the HDX is that you can display more data at the same time. Other benefits are the metal casing of the gauge housing and fully customizable backlighting.

Not to rehash it, but I don't think they switched from cat5 due to amps. Commercial audio/video/security run cat5 for video cameras using POE (power over Ethernet). So power doesn't strike me as the reason for the service. Cat5 enables many "internet of things" devices for those who want to watch TV on their washer machines and refrigerators :meh:

It makes more sense that they use proprietary cabling so they can more easily adapt to their own devices vs trying to make ports that wire to cat5. Round peg square whole situation.

Either way I ramble! Great looking cluster and a great upgrade! Thanks for the write-up!:clap:

So sweeet! For my marriage's sake, I should not read your posts!! Now I am drooling over a new gauge cluster.....;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom