Upgraded from old Nitrocharger shocks to new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm running an OME med. 2.5kit with N73 Nitrocharger shocks front and N74E nitros on the rear.
Installed the lift kit and shocks with 103k miles on the 80.
It currently has 157k miles and the shocks are starting to fade on the smaller pot holes and ruts on the road. Not a comfortable ride for me at this point.
I have heard shocks really only last about 30k miles anyway (correct me if I'm wrong)
I'm looking to change my shocks now and have been searching newer posts on shocks.
The Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shock is the upgrade from what I have now. Has anyone installed these after having the older set like mine?
If so are you in love with them?
Thanks.

Bilstein's last hundreds of thousands of miles. The problem is finding them to fit with a 2.5" lift.

Shocks aren't going to last forever, and they do take a beating, just like brakes and other "wear" items. It all depends on how you drive, where you drive, and for how long you drive. Your shocks might last 30k miles, and mine might last 10k.

I just put new OME on, but with the standard Nitro's, so i can't help with your comparo, sorry. The truck is so heavy though, that you probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference between the 2. The new shocks do have a longer warranty though, and they're supposed to last for longer than the standard Nitro's.

I just switched to the OME Sport Shocks. They are a little stiffer, ride is slightly harsher, but they helped reduce roll which is what I was hopping for with a rack and RTT. If your shocks are still OK, I wouldn't swap them. If you need new ones then the slightly firmer valving isn't a bad way to go with a tall truck.

Bilstein's last hundreds of thousands of miles. The problem is finding them to fit with a 2.5" lift.

Cary, how does one get the correct part numbers for Bilsteins?

Not effectively they don't. If you want to keep your vehicle driving like it felt when you installed your suspension, a 30K replacement interval is a great idea.

This is why an owner rebuildable shock is a great long term value compared to a mid-range throwaway.

I just switched to the OME Sport Shocks. They are a little stiffer, ride is slightly harsher, but they helped reduce roll which is what I was hopping for with a rack and RTT. If your shocks are still OK, I wouldn't swap them. If you need new ones then the slightly firmer valving isn't a bad way to go with a tall truck.

What shocks did you have before?
I think my truck has got to weigh 1k lbs less than yours.

Not effectively they don't. If you want to keep your vehicle driving like it felt when you installed your suspension, a 30K replacement interval is a great idea.

This is why an owner rebuildable shock is a great long term value compared to a mid-range throwaway.

So, I'm not off base by thinking I need replacements at 50k miles?
Should I stay with OME in Your opinion?

So, I'm not off base by thinking I need replacements at 50k miles?
Should I stay with OME in Your opinion?

50k is perfectly normal time to replace shocks. many do so before. shocks are not intended to be "life of the car" items

Yes but which ones to buy is the question. Nay, don't leave me hangen.:cool:

My friend got the new sport OME shocks and really likes them. He also had the old OME shocks previously.

They are a newer, better design.

I wouldn't waste time thinking about it- just do it and enjoy the ride :)

It would be great if the OME LTRs, which are bolt on and designed for the 2.5" OME springs, weren't so darned expensive. But if you consider they're rebuild-able, well... maybe it could make sense if they last forever and are better/more comfortable. Something to consider, maybe?

Thanks gentlemen. I'll drop $ and swap asap.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Bilsteins maintain more than 95% of their performance over 100k miles. I have about 90k on ones on my 80 and they perform the same as they did with 1000 miles on them (they loosen up a bit in the first 1000 miles). I have run several sets on other vehicles for more than 150k and never had an appreciable change in performance, aside from the one I blew when I completely overloaded it and slammed it into its stops.

If you search through the archives you will find many complaints about the OME shocks wearing out in 30-50k. I believe Robbie from Australia said they won't use OME shocks because they have so many problems with them on washboard surfaces, instead specing only Bilstein and possibly Koni.

I have no arguement about using a quality rebuildable shock like Fox, high end bilsteins, high end Koni's, etc., where you can also custom tune for the exact load and driving you do, but for long term reliability it is not necessary to spend the money.

Cary, how does one get the correct part numbers for Bilsteins?

You will have to search through the archives. There was a lot of discussion about it a few years ago. I mostly ignored it because I run the low lift and the standard replacements are long enough for my use.

doetsch shocks, half the price of ome, and twice the shocks.

all right, all right. Trying to make a decision now on replacements. Getting prices of around $400 shipped. Not even installed!!!
rock auto is a vendor here. They sell Monroe, KYB, ACDELCO, and Rancho. None of these are mentioned here on MUD,much. That must mean something, right? These 4 shock brands mentioned are shock absorber manufacturers.
see chart-
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Edit- I tried to load the LC80 shock page but no go...
Wondering if they are $200 better than the the OME's?
yes, I'm going crazy over $400 plus for shocks.:eek:

I've had the OME Sport shocks on for almost a year and have been very happy with them.

Not aware of a warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom