Upgraded from old Nitrocharger shocks to new? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As was said above, in Oz OME shocks aren't really rated that much. They are better than Toyota but have been known to have fade issues on long stretches of washboard and they don't seem to recover to well even after being left to cool. The new OME shock design is meant to overcome this.
Bilsteins are a much better bet, the mono tube works better over washboard as it disapates the heat much more successfully. But the shorter standard lengths aren't a good choice for rocks.
Ranchos seem pretty good for rock crawling ( I think mainly due to their longer lengths) but aren't great expedition shocks.
Fox/Kings are the don, but you pay for the priviledge.
I went with RidePro shocks to replace my Bilsteins as they had softer low speed compression valving and a much longer stroke. Time will let as to their longevity, but the ride is much nicer. And the wheel travel is :grinpimp:

OME warranty is 3 year or 35 k miles per their website. They are not rebuildable.

all right, all right. Trying to make a decision now on replacements. Getting prices of around $400 shipped. Not even installed!!!
rock auto is a vendor here. They sell Monroe, KYB, ACDELCO, and Rancho. None of these are mentioned here on MUD,much. That must mean something, right? These 4 shock brands mentioned are shock absorber manufacturers.
see chart-
RockAuto Parts Catalog
Edit- I tried to load the LC80 shock page but no go...
Wondering if they are $200 better than the the OME's?
yes, I'm going crazy over $400 plus for shocks.:eek:

RockAuto is great for parts, but they sell mostly the same parts that you find in standard auto parts stores. Bilstein, OME, etc aren't usually found in Napa and Advance Auto Parts, etc.

NitroSport shocks have 3 year, 35,000 mile warranty. Nitrocharger Sport Shock Absorbers

I wonder if Bilstein would claim that their shocks last more than 50k miles?

How many of us have bought trucks with over 100k miles, but still running stock shocks. They "last", but feel terrible. And "feel" is a personal preference also, not something you can measure to determine if they're actually good or bad.

OME warranty is 3 year or 35 k miles per their website. They are not rebuildable.

I've read many places that the LTR shocks are rebuildable. Maybe it's not true as the U.S. and Oz sites don't say either way. All they do say is that the LTRs are for the 2.5" or stock height and can be pressurized from 40-100 psi.

Even if one found them discounted it's likely still $1000 for a set of LTR shocks. I only mention them as a possible comparison to the other high end type shocks people banter about.

As of 1 minute ago, Nitrocharger Sports for the 80 LC, ARB 60020 and 60018, were $93.65 each on Amazon with free shipping.

I'm not advocating buying from Amazon over one of our supporting vendors, but $374.60 total isn't bad for something we know fits and works.

Geez, never thought to look at amazon thanks. I'm looking at Bilsteins but they don't seem to fit the 2 1/2 " OME lift kit by 1/2". Does that matter? Hmmm.

You can run them, but you have only about 2-3" droop and about 5-6" uptravel. Its not ideal but I ran them this way for about 60,000km and didn't have an issue.
Then I added some chassis bumpstop spacers and spaced the shocks mounts down 50mm (2") to have the shocks run with pretty much equal up and down travel. That worked pretty well too for another 40,000km. An by seat of pants testing the shock felt more progressive through compression.

We can't easily get the better Bilies here like the 5100 and 7100 but, they might be worth a look.

So, I'm not off base by thinking I need replacements at 50k miles?
Should I stay with OME in Your opinion?

Yes. It is hard to find shocks with good valving for OME springs without springing (pun!) for the customizable stuff like Fox's, Bilstein 7100's, etc.

I don't much care for OME shocks at higher valve rates, but if you liked them before, I would not mess with it for a second if you are on any reasonable budget.

I don't know if I'm being common sense or not, but I just think if there was a no-brainer shock option that was significantly better than the OME's someone would be packaging them or at least be packaging the mod parts needed to fit them. Nay talks down OME all the time and talks up Bilstein, Fox, etc... but I don't see him or anyone else packaging this for 'Mudders.

I'm just getting too crotchety to devote that much time and energy to shocks that don't have a consensus that they're that much better AND/OR easier AND/OR affordable than OMEs which are designed to work together.

Amazon - I was just looking at winches a couple of weeks ago when I saw the ARB bumper pop up on Amazon for $780 w/ free shipping. I couldn't believe it and wasn't really sure until it arrived. Well, it arrived via truck shipping on the same day my new full length ARB roof rack arrived. It was $704 + $284 for the ARB fitting kit, all free shipping. I ended up placing about a $4000 order on Amazon that big night for the Warn winch, ARB bumper, ARB rack, OME suspension, recovery gear, etc... at the best prices I've ever seen them and all with free shipping. I just couldn't pass up those deals as an unemployed soon-to-be student.

Again, in principle I advocate for people to support the vendors who support us. I buy things from MAF, SLEE, Cruiser Outfitters, 4X4Labs, etc... all the time. However, as a consumer on a budget, I cannot not pass along this information which might save my fellow forum members $100's or $1000's of dollars on top quality products that we all either have or want.

Last edited:
http://doetsch-shocks.com/ doetsch prerunner 8000 shocks 45.00 each call them and they will set you up. they will have a bolt in applacation that will fit your 80 .if you want monotube they have those to, or nitrogen filled twin tube as well.

Geez, never thought to look at amazon thanks. I'm looking at Bilsteins but they don't seem to fit the 2 1/2 " OME lift kit by 1/2". Does that matter? Hmmm.

I would not go with the Bilstein B-46 1477/1478 if this is what you are looking at. I had these on my 861/862 low lift with 10mm trim packers up front and they were too short. On a trip to Baja on rough roads I had one pull through the washer on the top of the shock mount and on another trip the other one tore out the bottom.

I'm pretty sure I had monotube shocks made by Doetsch on my 85 4Runner years ago. Dual solid axle, leaf sprung w/ 2" NWOR lift. It was better off road than on and LOVED air. If they're affordable and fit it could be an even better budget option than OME.

Thanks for your input you guys. I know shocks have been discussed too many times here. Still all good info.
I can't see going with another brand of shock when most of the competition is priced so close now.
Black Rino 13 you saved me $100. Beers on me!:cheers: I sent a PM to Slee yesterday for a price on shocks but have not heard back yet. I bought the original OME kit from them.
Shipping is about $130. to me for any other retailer.
With Amazon's free shipping on the OME's, (which fit my application) it's a very good deal. Amazon IS charging tax though.
Thanks again for your ideas.

For what its worth....I have the Bilsteins 1477/1478 and currently have about 62K on them. So far they have performed great and are holding up nicely.

However as soon as the budget allows, I am going to swap them for the OME units with the 861/862 kit.

I don't know if I'm being common sense or not, but I just think if there was a no-brainer shock option that was significantly better than the OME's someone would be packaging them or at least be packaging the mod parts needed to fit them. Nay talks down OME all the time and talks up Bilstein, Fox, etc... but I don't see him or anyone else packaging this for 'Mudders.

There is no money in it - your market would be limited to people who a) own 80's, b) have OME 2.5" lifts, and c) want a non-OME shock. That's a market opportunity of well less than a thousand people, worldwide.

Your standard "offroad" monotube shock is an eye to eye mount in 10" travel. You need eye adapters to run this shock type, which effectively increases the compressed length of the shock by the length of the eye adapters. And this makes that standard shock too "long" for a 2.5" lift, although it is perfect for a 4" lift.

Nobody is going to build a short body shock just for the 80 - the short body Bilstein 7100 is probably about right in a 10" travel, but you still have remote res mounting and them things ain't cheap.

So it isn't because there aren't shocks that would add a lot to a 2.5" lift, it's just they don't really fit on an 80 without some extra work, and most people with 2.5" lifts weren't looking for extra work or $$$ in the first place.

Hence my recommendation to get the OME's again. They aren't bad shocks, I just don't like a twin-tube shock in a high valving, and OME uses a high valved shock with a medium quality spring for the 80, so you get what you get.

I just put my lift on and I got it from RAVENCE thanks Chris for the good deal.But anyhow the shocks seem to be to short on the front,It is a older slee 6" lift I think they are OME Ls and also seem to be kinda soft.I broke off some bolts on the rear sway bar and drove it with off for a week and I had to put it back on to day due to body roll.Do I go with stiffer shocks or do they get week after time?I know they are still good but are soft.All this talk about eye adapters and shock mounts got me kinda:confused: confused I do want to try to free up the front end.It only go's up about maybe 3" if I list it with my fork lift.I have a A.R.B. front bumper sliders and rear slee bumper and all my gear in it so I know it is heavy.So what shocks do I go with? and do get eye adapters and modify my towers?

with 6" lift ome L are to short, if they are soft they are junk, ome shocks are stiff when in good working shape. the ome L shocks i had before doetsch prerunners had less than 1000 miles on them and made 80 ride like lumber wagon, but they did handle well. prerunners handle just sa good and ride good as well.

with 6" lift ome L are to short,

even for 4" of lift .. with 4" I'm running redneck shock spacers with my OME L shocks ..

Don't forget that we offer our Mud discount code to help with the cost of the OME shocks. I have the nitro sports L's on mine right now and they ride nice IMO. We are also Bilstein dealers and can get those shocks as well.

Ben
303.255.4959 x 103

FYI, anyone looking for shocks should call Ben at ToyTec lifts.
He sent me a PM a little too late after I ordered from amazon. He is cheaper! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom