Upgrade or replace gauge/instrument lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D6BCD079-619C-4F22-B70D-CD989BBC6CDC.jpeg
C7776C11-E116-4660-B2DD-2A05AFD9ED27.jpeg
83282ABE-973E-4390-A298-C7F469208B2A.jpeg
A462A9C9-EBFF-435B-846C-F4D3A7107292.jpeg

do you have a picture of how these LEDs look in the dash. I just ordered the above list from Superbrightled but I’m interested in a less intense look, too.
This is the color and intensity of the lights bought on Amazon linked above with the original condoms on. Since the bulbs are rated 6000k you get a more blue look to them. I like the color. if you found a similar shape with a lower color temp rating it would be more green. This is with the dimmer all the way up

01F294E9-23B9-4A1C-A0FC-0E040173B4C5.jpeg

Ok, I got the replacement cluster panel. It looks like I can replace that panel without disrupting the gages themselves. I’m worried about getting in over my head. How involved or technically difficult is it to remove gauges and swap the bulbs?

not hard to do, just put everything back the way you found it.
here are mine lit up and dimmed down a bit, there is alot of adjustment. I like it, and bought green bulbs where needed. It looks better than in the picture.
2022-09-30 21.42.48.jpg

Ok, I got the replacement cluster panel. It looks like I can replace that panel without disrupting the gages themselves. I’m worried about getting in over my head. How involved or technically difficult is it to remove gauges and swap the bulbs?
So you are swapping the plastic face plate/panel and putting your gauges into it first? To swap lights you'll want to remove the AC bezel panel on lower middle as well as the gauge cluster. These all just require a screwdriver to remove. Most of the lights just require you to turn the housing to remove it them swap the bulb. The most difficult part of this is getting the speedo cable disconnected so the gauge cluster comes out enough to access it all.

I found some white LEDs that are the same dimensions as the OG incandescent bulbs. This allowed me to use the original green condoms to create a dimmer look and closer to original color. They will dim and the original covers tame that bright LED look that just floods the gauges with light.

SEALIGHT 194 LED Bulbs 6000K White, 168 2825 T10 W5W 3030 Bright LED Chips, Dome Light, Map Light, Door Light, Courtesy Light, License Plate Light, Pack of 10 https://a.co/d/0uZ8OFX
Was this pack enough to replace all the bulbs for the instrument cluster?

Instead why not go with Speedhut Gauges…
66599FD3-3904-440E-9BB6-EC36EABFD19F.jpeg

was just showing @ToyotaMatt my gauge set up on another thread today. i did the super bright LEDs and love them but i kept the incandescent 4WD and high beam indicator. those were way too bright for me. i do a lot of night driving up here in canada as i have 8 hours of day light this time of year. with the rheostat all the way down before the lights go off completely the light is just perfect. i kept the original green and adjusted my stereo buttons to match. finally i also got my OEM tach working today. as much as the speed hut gauges are super cool looking i still like the OEM look. i would recommend the upgrade for what it’s worth.
4BDFF245-1948-486B-A529-B20592B1A6EC.jpeg
7341B908-5638-4C45-BF20-59706B24C182.jpeg
7E9FFF11-1813-401C-B143-15F031892966.jpeg

Last edited:
@franklin40 100% agree with that approach: LEDs for the backlights, keep the incandescents for everything else in the gauge cluster (I.e., all the indicators). The brightness level matches throughout that way when you keep the LEDs dimmed down. Looks good!

I found that the tachometer was much easier to see at night by swapping in a clear LED for the tach and leaving all the other gauge lights regular original incandescent bulbs.
The tach for me was always the most crucial and important but it’s the smallest gauge. The clear LED wasn’t too bright at all. It’s perfect.
31B6852B-D487-41B1-996E-52CD0D06A399.jpeg

I'm gonna hijack convo; somewhat related. I have a set of aftermarket A-pillar gauges for pyrometer, turbo pressure and oil pressure installed by PO. Wierdly, brightness for the dash cluster backlights and those gauges operate inversely, ie. when you turn the pot to brighten the dash you in turn reduce the AM gauges. Any idea how to fix this?

I'm gonna hijack convo; somewhat related. I have a set of aftermarket A-pillar gauges for pyrometer, turbo pressure and oil pressure installed by PO. Wierdly, brightness for the dash cluster backlights and those gauges operate inversely, ie. when you turn the pot to brighten the dash you in turn reduce the AM gauges. Any idea how to fix this?
Reverse your wiring where you tied in to the factory illum circuit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom