Updated, pinion nut was barely on :( Advice, please! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys, when I am accelerating I don't have any noise, as soon as I take my foot off the gas, I get this horrible sound. It is also there with the clutch engaged. I crawled underneath and shook stuff around, lol. Not really sure what I should be looking for. There was slight play in the back of the front u-joint. I didn't notice anything else. I greased the driveshaft before putting it away for the winter. Is this something I could have effed by putting in too much grease? Any help appreciated! I guess I can't attach a video here, I'll put it on YouTube.

A driveline will extend from the grease you put in the slip-joint zerk. Perhaps you did over-grease it, as you suspect. You might pull that zerk and let excess grease out.

X2 on above.. net pinion nut is loose.

Thanks guys. I replaced that seal a few years ago, I must not have tightened it correctly. I'll update after I get a chance to work on it, I appreciate the responses!

I could hardly hear the issue, im guessing its clicking/clunking on acc. and de acceleration. As others have mentioned, check the pinion nut, tighten and re stake. If that doesnt take care of it, theres another nut under the cone shaped cover on the upper back of the transfer case. Make sure its tight and staked too. While the driveshaft is out closely check the U joints for play between the caps and the crosses.

Thanks guys, apparently years ago, when I replaced the pinion seal, I didn't stake the nut. :bang:. The nut was barely on the pinion, and I can move the pinion quite a bit, is that normal? I pulled it apart and want to clean up the flange, it has a little groove in it. Any advice moving forward would be greatly appreciated!!!

If the pinion nut came loose and the pinion has been walking around; then the ring and pinion are trashed and need to be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom