**UPDATED**P0715 O/D Direct Clutch Speed sensor replacement question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2001 LX470, 185ish K. When I put the truck in park after a 2 block drive, I started hearing a ticking noise from the back of the motor or top of the tranny. Only audible in park or neutral at idle of about 900rpm. Goes away completely in R or any D gear. Didn't seem to change frequency with RPM when rev'd. Parked it and left it for about 3 hours. When I started it again, the noise was back. Drove it about 15 miles and now the noise is gone. I'm hoping I'm not on the path to a new tranny, but seems likely.

Also, it started throwing a P0715 code a few days ago. Was going to try and replace the O/D Direct Clutch speed sensor. Found a page from the manual from another forum, however it's only the page for the sensor... not any of the pages before. Will I need to drain the tranny some in order to replace the sensor? And should I go ahead and replace both sensors?

I'm 2200 miles from home right now and don't have a techstream to hook up. I do have access to tools and a lift though, so I think I can tackle some of the basic troubleshooting before I take it to a transmission shop.

Do you have an ODB II scanner that you can clear codes with? When you clear the code does it come right back?
I ask because I get code P0770 (related to speed sensors), that when I clear, it may come in a 100 miles or more than 10,000 miles later.
Obvious something very intermittent going on, so I have driven over 40,000 miles since it started, figure some day I will start replacing speed sensors and solenoids.
Toyota dealer looked at and said I need a new transmission, but that is standard answer for any transmission issue. They treat it as a black box they replace.

I have
Do you have an ODB II scanner that you can clear codes with? When you clear the code does it come right back?
I ask because I get code P0770 (related to speed sensors), that when I clear, it may come in a 100 miles or more than 10,000 miles later.
Obvious something very intermittent going on, so I have driven over 40,000 miles since it started, figure some day I will start replacing speed sensors and solenoids.
Toyota dealer looked at and said I need a new transmission, but that is standard answer for any transmission issue. They treat it as a black box they replace.
I have a scanguage II, and when I clear it, it comes back within a few miles. I'm concerned the new tranny will be there go-to also. Hence why I want to swap the sensors first

2001 LX470, 185ish K. When I put the truck in park after a 2 block drive, I started hearing a ticking noise from the back of the motor or top of the tranny. Only audible in park or neutral at idle of about 900rpm. Goes away completely in R or any D gear. Didn't seem to change frequency with RPM when rev'd. Parked it and left it for about 3 hours. When I started it again, the noise was back. Drove it about 15 miles and now the noise is gone. I'm hoping I'm not on the path to a new tranny, but seems likely.

Also, it started throwing a P0715 code a few days ago. Was going to try and replace the O/D Direct Clutch speed sensor. Found a page from the manual from another forum, however it's only the page for the sensor... not any of the pages before. Will I need to drain the tranny some in order to replace the sensor? And should I go ahead and replace both sensors?

I'm 2200 miles from home right now and don't have a techstream to hook up. I do have access to tools and a lift though, so I think I can tackle some of the basic troubleshooting before I take it to a transmission shop.

^^^^

Definitely check the wiring harness and connection to the sensor. If all looks good, replace sensor (there is just one I believe). No need to drain any fluid, it should be mostly in the pan.

^^^^

Definitely check the wiring harness and connection to the sensor. If all looks good, replace sensor (there is just one I believe). No need to drain any fluid, it should be mostly in the pan.
It's the forward one on the driver side right? I was thinking there is another towards the back for speed sense too. That's where I hooked up the lutz auto speedo correction. (I already unplugged that to eliminate it as the culprit)

It's the forward one on the driver side right? I was thinking there is another towards the back for speed sense too. That's where I hooked up the lutz auto speedo correction. (I already unplugged that to eliminate it as the culprit)

Yes, up front. You want to replace the INPUT speed sensor......not the output sensor at the rear.

Check the wiring and connector too.

P0715 sensor location.jpg

Input speed sensor.jpg

20210417_153733.jpg

This certainly doesn't look good. That's the O/D direct clutch input speed sensor I took out. There were metal shavings on it, but nothing big or out of the ordinary for 189K. Is that worn down part normal? Replaced this and the output sensor. Still have a 0715 code after about a mile or so. No discernable difference in shifting. Connecters looked good. Anyone have the FSM pages for t/s'ing an 0715 code?

A weird thing is that by every piece of literature and by verifying with Toyota by VIN, the speed sensor was supposed to be the one where the connector is 90 degrees from the sensor. The one in my tranny was the one that is parallel (in-line) with the sensor. There's NO way the 90 deg sensor would've fit my transmission in the input sensor location. The 90 deg fit the output.

Any updates here?

Our '99 470 just threw a P0715
Unfortunately, yes. Suspected O/D Hub/reluctor damaged and unable to generate signal. So I ended up having order a new transmission. It's likey a piece of that gear started breaking away and grinding down my sensor. But in my case, my transmission didn't sound "right" while in O/D. So if you're not having any other indications or any hard shifting, it's probably just the sensor.

Unfortunately, yes. Suspected O/D Hub/reluctor damaged and unable to generate signal. So I ended up having order a new transmission. It's likey a piece of that gear started breaking away and grinding down my sensor. But in my case, my transmission didn't sound "right" while in O/D. So if you're not having any other indications or any hard shifting, it's probably just the sensor.

Sorry to hear that. We knew that was a possibility back when we discussed it. But worth trying the least expensive and invasive procedures first. Glad you got it all fixed though. 👍 You certainly did everything you could to try and diagnose it.

Sorry to hear that. We knew that was a possibility back when we discussed it. But worth trying the least expensive and invasive procedures first. Glad you got it all fixed though. 👍 You certainly did everything you could to try and diagnose it.
Yep. I even threw Toyota $130 to look at it and confirm my suspicions. It sucks. But at least I'll have peace of mind driving back cross-country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom