Events/Trails UPDATED - NOW Bring Your Own Breakfast (BYOB) ..... Cowboy Breakfast Overlooking Cabazon - Saturday Oct 3rd (Safe Practices Please!) (1 Viewer)

Attendance Poll for Cowboy Breakfast Event

• Yes - I will be attending and camping the night before

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Yes - I will be attending but only coming in the morning

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Maybe - I will let you know

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No - I will not be attending but thanks for the invite

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fellow HDC members,

Lets have another Cowboy (okay also Cowgirl!) breakfast in the bush Saturday Oct 3rd. We have decided to do this breakfast on a beautiful mesa overlooking the Cabazon just south of the spot we had our breakfast last year. This spot is about a 1 hour drive from NM-528 and US-550. 95% of the drive is paved and the last mile or so is an unimproved gravel trail with a few hundred yards of easy trail off the gravel. Cars will struggle with the last section but stock 4x4s will have no problem.

Tips on finding the location: There is a gravel road that spurs north off 279 hundreds of yards past the power line road. The spur road appears to be maintained to secure access to the power lines and gas lines around the area. Head up the spur road but then you must head further west at the power line tower to pick up another trail to continue to head north up the hill and towards the top of the mesa. You will approach an improved washout ditch with a gate nearby. This gate is normally closed, so once you pass through and head up the hill, stay to the left at the intersection and take the very faint trail that continues west. It will veer south towards the rim of the mesa. You may loose the trail at times, but just keep heading south and you will pick up on our location visually. Good luck.

NOTE: The location for this year's event is south of last year's spot. Please carefully read your maps and the way point below. The trail is a bit faint, but with some luck, you will find us perched out overlooking the valley and the Cabazon.

There is a good chance we can pick you up on our HAM if you go to last year's spot and wonder where everybody is or you just can't find your way once you get to Powerline Rd and 279. We also should have cell signal at this location.

After the breakfast, we may have a few runs in the Jemez area, depending on our ability to get one or more trail leaders to step up.

Breakfast
Coordinates: 35.67137, -107.08219
Breakfast Time: 0800 - 0930
Date: Saturday Oct 3rd
HAM: 146.400

Optional Camp-out
Date: Friday Oct 2nd evening

Like the prior years, you are welcome to join some of us heading out Friday the 2nd after work and camp out . Others are welcome to join us for breakfast in the morning on Saturday. It might be chilly at this time and it can get windy up on the mesa, so come prepared. This is a family friendly event - dogs, pets and kids are all welcome!

We have decided it would be better if each member bring their own breakfast. I will donate the $100 or so I usually spend on food directly to the club instead. I will also bring some extra food for those that miss that we are changing it up to a Bring Your Own Breakfast (BYOB) this year due to CV19. I will have plenty of coffee and fixens.

I will buy all of the food for breakfast and Frank will probably make his delicious green chili stew. He will also probably bring his disc grill and I will be flipping pancakes. There will be lots of hot coffee. There is no charge for any of this - just come out and enjoy some good food and conversation. If you want, you can give a donation and all proceeds will be given to our Club Treasurer - Pappy, who then sends the funds to a local off road organization that helps us keep our trails open.

If you post up if you are going to join, then I will keep a tally below. This will help me plan on the amount of food to purchase.

Larry (AKA Poupon)

Confirmed:
@Poupon
Frank
Arron & Sarai
David (maybe)
Taghi (maybe)
Ash (maybe)

Last edited:
We'll see how the week plays out, but I'm interested in at least showing up in the AM and joining a run in the Jemez. I just purchased a new rig, and this would be a good way to put it through its paces.

Just checking to see if this is the right spot i found on gaia . Just doesnt show a path to spot. An never been to that area

Screenshot_20200928-002800_Gaia GPS.jpg

We'll see how the week plays out, but I'm interested in at least showing up in the AM and joining a run in the Jemez. I just purchased a new rig, and this would be a good way to put it through its paces.

Umm, i reckon it's time to update your sig line :flipoff2:

We will out of town, so we can't make this event. Enjoy. See you later.

Great idea, I am back in the Midwest visiting family, have fun

Totally spaced i go on-call friday 😒 can't make it.
Was really hoping to. Maybe we can set something up in a few weeks. Great area out in 4th of july camp grounds😉. With mild trails to explore . Just a thought. Heres some pics of area went last weekend camping

20200926_142018.jpg

20200926_155559.jpg

was thinking of hiking the 4th of july area for colors this weekend.

Totally spaced i go on-call friday 😒 can't make it.
Thanks for keeping us updated.

There appears to be less interest in this event. Of course, there was little notice as well. Frank has also said he may be unable to make it due to a potential conflict. I still plan on camping Friday night and making a delicious breakfast Saturday morning, for any members that wish to join.

Cheers!

I'll be at the breakfast

We'll see if we can find it, turn up the volume 6.40!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom