Updated: June 24 Trail Ride, Noble Lake near Twin Bridges/Sheridan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title pretty much sums it up! We have a trail ride scheduled for Sunday June 24th with no location set.

Where does everybody want to go???

So chime in with anywhere, and preferably a little context; like been there it was great, heard about it but never been, tried last year but got snowed out, my uncle's coworker's second cousin said it was cool....you get the idea!

I will keep an updated list of suggestions here:

Boulder - Tizer Lakes
Twin Bridges - Little Boulder Lakes and Noble Lake
Melrose - Burma Road/Chokecherry Gulch
Ennis - Twin Lakes

6/18/18:
Alrighty folks, time to make a call so we can get the info out to everybody. Jump in and place your vote!! I think any of the choices above would have options to camp Saturday night before the ride. We just have to pick the trail.

6/20/18:
Alrighty folks, we're heading towards Twin Bridges and Sheridan!! Noble Lake/Little Boulder Lakes is the destination. I figure this will be easier and closer for the folks heading out to North Meadow on Friday night/Saturday.
So we'll see what camping looks like for Saturday night, @MTyota please chime in if you have any spots, for those interested and Sunday morning do a 8am meetup in four corners at the Exxon (next to Mama Mac's). We will plan for a secondary meeting point in Twin Bridges around 9:30-9:45 at the Three Rivers Quick Stop gas station.

As per usual; CB's are mandatory, bring lunch and snacks, water, make sure your rig is in good shape for the trail, and since this isn't a known trail be prepared for a little exploring (in other words, somebody bring a chainsaw ;))

I will update as any more info on camping or details arise.

Last edited:
I’m up for anything, if anyone else is up for it I’d be up for camping before or after the trail run to get a night under the stars.

As far as trail suggestions I’m a total noob. I’ve got nothing more than hearsay to go on.

Went up skyline mine trail weekend before last. Club did it last year. Made it to the nice scenic overlook and was shut down by snow shorty after. Hammered out a trail for a little ways. Shadow side of the mountain is gonna keep that snow there for a while. The last turn on the trail into the mining camp had a waterfall into the road and i bet that section is pretty washed out. It was fun but it would turn into a cluster real fast with more then 3-4 trucks. We all had winches and lockers and we all used them that day. It was very very wet lots of water crossings

I have a desire to do independence this summer but im sure its the same story with that one. Too soon cuz of snow. Plus id like to make that one an overnighter.

I like the idea of camping at a trailhead if we make a decision. One group could camp out sat night and then one could meet them there sunday morning. If theres enough interest in that.

Some snow free areas that that come to mind are Tizer lakes by Boulder fun trail with an optional lake to hike into. Or little boulder lakes and Noble lake by Twinn Bridges. Both of these are fun and fairly easy (although I have always taken the jeep not the 4runner which makes everything easy :D) But camping with good company sounds really great to me no matter where it's at.

Went up skyline mine trail weekend before last. Club did it last year. Made it to the nice scenic overlook and was shut down by snow shorty after. Hammered out a trail for a little ways. Shadow side of the mountain is gonna keep that snow there for a while. The last turn on the trail into the mining camp had a waterfall into the road and i bet that section is pretty washed out. It was fun but it would turn into a cluster real fast with more then 3-4 trucks. We all had winches and lockers and we all used them that day. It was very very wet lots of water crossings

I have a desire to do independence this summer but im sure its the same story with that one. Too soon cuz of snow. Plus id like to make that one an overnighter.

I like the idea of camping at a trailhead if we make a decision. One group could camp out sat night and then one could meet them there sunday morning. If theres enough interest in that.

Agreed on all points! A snow run to Skyline Mine with more than a few rigs sounds like a mess, I want to do Independence too but probably too early for a full group run, and being a Sunday ride camping Saturday night would be great!

Some snow free areas that that come to mind are Tizer lakes by Boulder fun trail with an optional lake to hike into. Or little boulder lakes and Noble lake by Twinn Bridges. Both of these are fun and fairly easy (although I have always taken the jeep not the 4runner which makes everything easy :D) But camping with good company sounds really great to me no matter where it's at.

Those sound like promising options though I can't say I'm familiar with either (not that that means squat :rofl:)

I am going through a trail guide book and found, what looks like, to be a decent trail. In the book it is called "Burma Road-Chokecherry Gulch". The research that I have done thus far (guide book, google earth, internet....)makes this trail seem like a good one, scenery, difficulty, etc. However, the trail head is appx two hours away outside Melrose Mt. I am not sure how far some are willing to travel. With that being said, since the ride is on Sunday I am willing to head down and run the trail Saturday and give feed back before the whole group heads down.
Once again, the trail head is about two hours away and I am not sure if enough people are interested in making that trek.

It could be Epic or a total bust! I for one, am willing to give it a go and if anyone is wants to join the pre-run, right on.

Today I went and ran Twin Lakes and the good news is that it is clear of snow! I ran it clear to upper Twin Lake and only had two off camber snow sections right before the first lake. There is a bypass for each of these but I anticipate that in a week they will be significantly smaller or gone and won't be an issue. There are also a few trees that fell across the trail this winter that have been cut but could stand to be cut further back. I will be bringing my chainsaw next time. I did try the Mckelvey side of the trail but was stopped by a small snow patch that kept trying to slide me into a tree about a 1/2 mile in. If enough people are interested in running it I would be up for leading a group on Saturday or Sunday for the upcoming trail ride. I also like the idea of camping out at Sure Shot lake and then running Twin Lakes the following morning.

Twin Lakes is one of the harder trails in the area but isn't anything to be afraid of if you are an experienced driver with some armor, especially skids and sliders. A locker or lockers would be nice but aren't necessary. I ran this trail last October in the snow with open diffs and only used my locker twice today because I didn't have a spotter and was taking some of the more challenging lines. Ther are 3 or 4 major rock gardens, all of which have an easier line off to the side, the rest of the trail is just narrow with 6 to 8-inch rocks

Since I was running solo and was socked in by heavy fog I didn't stop for many photo ops but here are a few

IMG_8732 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8741 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8758 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8763 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8773 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8796 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr
IMG_8798 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

One more just for fun... Yes I went to the trouble of setting up a tripod and remote for this
IMG_8818 by Phoenix Black, on Flickr

^^ that looks like a good time to me. I’m looking for a place to wheel, camp and then wheel some more. Next weekend is the longest one of the year (day lite hours) and I’d like to spend as much of it as I can outdoors. My vote goes to which ever place can offer that

Updated the first post:
Boulder - Tizer Lakes
Twin Bridges - Little Boulder Lakes and Noble Lake
Melrose - Burma Road/Chokecherry Gulch
Ennis - Twin Lakes

6/18/18:
Alrighty folks, time to make a call so we can get the info out to everybody. Jump in and place your vote!! I think any of the choices above would have options to camp Saturday night before the ride. We just have to pick the trail.

I'd love to camp and have no preference of where we go.

However, I gotta' find, order parts and fix my drive line vibration issue before the weekend. I don't bring known issues on trail runs... it always goes bad for me and others who are trying to enjoy their time off too.

I'm 50/50 at this point.

I think that either of the trails that @MTyota suggested for the Sunday trail sound awesome. If you wanted to play tour guide and set up a meeting point on Saturday night or Sunday morning. I like the idea of going somewhere that someone has been to already.

I looked at the one near Melrose actually but was turned off by the 2 hours just to get there. other then that it sounded noce

I'm working on a plan with @Black798 that we would run North Meadows with a fairly early start on Saturday, and then we could drive out and meet up at the trail head on Saturday night and run the Sunday trail. Make a FULL weekend of it. I was even considering camping out at one of the Sureshot lakes Friday night but still waiting to see how the weekend plays out.

I'd love to camp and have no preference of where we go.

However, I gotta' find, order parts and fix my drive line vibration issue before the weekend. I don't bring known issues on trail runs... it always goes bad for me and others who are trying to enjoy their time off too.

I'm 50/50 at this point.
powertrain, south of belgrade on jackrabbit. talk to tom. I'd bet he's got whatever you need plus they can balance it for you.

I'm in for whatever, camping or day-trip. Of course shorter drive to the TH = Better. Gotta pick up family @ BZN late Sun.

Alrighty folks, we're heading towards Twin Bridges and Sheridan!! Noble Lake/Little Boulder Lakes is the destination. I figure this will be easier and closer for the folks heading out to North Meadow on Friday night/Saturday.
So we'll see what camping looks like for Saturday night, @MTyota please chime in if you have any spots, for those interested and Sunday morning do a 8am meetup in four corners at the Exxon (next to Mama Mac's). We will plan for a secondary meeting point in Twin Bridges around 9:30-9:45 at the Three Rivers Quick Stop gas station.

As per usual; CB's are mandatory, bring lunch and snacks, water, make sure your rig is in good shape for the trail, and since this isn't a known trail be prepared for a little exploring (in other words, somebody bring a chainsaw ;))

I will update as any more info on camping or details arise.

I will have my chainsaw from doing north meadows. Looking forward to exploring some new areas

I feel like such a jerk for not replying sooner. Been crazy busy at work and I didn't take the time to check in. So here's the deal jeep was broke down last weekend (go figure) so wasn't able to go pre run the trails. Since it looks like the idea was to run this trail I got the forest service map out to make a plan and givery some directions. I didn't notice till now there is a motorized restriction #6 on that trail. The legend says closed April 1- July1:bang:. I am so so sorry to everyone I feel like a real idiot. I will run into the forest service office in Dillon tomorrow and just double check with them. My apologies to everyone in the club:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom