Updated Electronics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I would like to install a modern stereo system with GPS and a backup camera, Sirius XM and Apple Car Play compatibility in my FJ100. Best Buy recommends a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX system, a BBBPC Universal Backup Camera, and an SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner. I want the best backup camera available and a good GPS, preferably with a touchscreen. Does anyone have experience in this area? Is there a way to get a larger screen without cutting into the dash? Thanks in advance for your advice.

I would like to install a modern stereo system with GPS and a backup camera, Sirius XM and Apple Car Play compatibility in my FJ100. Best Buy recommends a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX system, a BBBPC Universal Backup Camera, and an SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner. I want the best backup camera available and a good GPS, preferably with a touchscreen. Does anyone have experience in this area? Is there a way to get a larger screen without cutting into the dash? Thanks in advance for your advice.

If you don't have navigation on your 100 it will be easy.
If you have factory Nav you'll first need to do the have delete mod. Go to the stickied threads and search. You'll see it in the electronics section.

Once you complete that you'll be ready to install whatever radio you want in double DIN size.

Get something that has Android Auto or Apply Carplay to go with your phone for the best navigation experience.

The “correct” answer will differ based on year, make, model, if equipped with OE nav (or not), budget, and technical ability.

If you don't have navigation on your 100 it will be easy.
If you have factory Nav you'll first need to do the have delete mod. Go to the stickied threads and search. You'll see it in the electronics section.

Once you complete that you'll be ready to install whatever radio you want in double DIN size.

Get something that has Android Auto or Apply Carplay to go with your phone for the best navigation experience.
Thanks! I do not have nav today. It's a 1999 FJ100. Can you direct me to the stacked threads with a URL link? I cannot find them. Are you saying I can get a screen that is double the size of the factory screen? If so that would be wonderful! Thank you!

The “correct” answer will differ based on year, make, model, if equipped with OE nav (or not), budget, and technical ability.
Thanks. It's a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ100 and it does not have nav today. I have several thousand dollars to invest and I have a low technical ability but I plan to have someone with a very high technical ability install everything. I just want to get the best technology available with Apply CarPlay and the best bachup camera available. Thanks!

Sorry, I should have said it's a 1999 FJ100.
It's a 1999 FJ100
Thanks. It's a 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ100

He was trying to tell you, there isn't an "FJ100". They're called the "UZJ100". If you say "FJ100", it'll be like someone telling you about their 1962 Ford Lightningbird. People will understand what you mean, but will look at you funny. Or saying "Porsch" instead of "Porsch-uh".

Semantics, but just fyi.

Since you don't have the factory nav in your truck, it should be very easy to install whatever you want. You'll likely get more info in the electronics forum or an audio specific forum.

You could see if the Tesla Style radio will work on your truck... But it's a hit or miss radio. Just saying

I purchased that exact model from crutchfield and did the install myself, wasn't too bad. Everything worked well with the harness provided by crutchfield. I recently ran the camera wiring from the back to the front, but haven't finished the wiring yet. In general a very nice upgrade to the stock radio and I chose this model due to the "better" screen and HD radio. Good luck.

sony pioneer and kenwood all have 9 and 10" screens now that tilt and pan. they start around 900$. with a 99 you can put in whatever you want. there are a few threads. use the search tool in the upper right corner of the main page.

sony pioneer and kenwood all have 9 and 10" screens now that tilt and pan. they start around 900$. with a 99 you can put in whatever you want. there are a few threads. use the search tool in the upper right corner of the main page.
You will regret not getting a head unit with a screen that will tilt. If you get one of a number of brand-name plain flat panel head units without tilt, the glare will drive you nuts. I have a Pioneer that tilts out, and no glare issues. I had to remove and sell the previous unit because it had no tilt and the glare washed it out horribly.

yeah i have a sony carplay unit with no tilt. depending the direction im driving and the angle of the sun, i cant see the nav sometimes. and i am dying to see someone put one of these giant screened units in their LC.

For your FJ, er, UZJ, consider a standard double DIN HU. There is good value in the double DINs now that the larger screen, single DINs are getting popular.

In the event of theft, I would highly recommend getting beefy security-head screws to attach the HU to the dash since it is so trivial to get to the screws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom