UPDATED: Air conditioning identified (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
UPDATE: unit pictured is apparently mad by Clardy. Would someone be able to post pictures of the compressor and motor bracket?

Can someone identify this ac unit for me and the vehicle it goes with? I don’t believe it’s 40 series. Seller can remember

IMG_1941.jpeg

Last edited:
with the panel above it, maybe for a 55??

So the seller has a ton of 40 parts mixed in with mini truck stuff, also has a 60, and once owned a 55 at one point. I been browsing image for all the above. The controls look to be like a Nostalgic Air kit

The piece in the center matches the unit installed by the dealer on our '78 that we purchased new. It also matches the one on Miss Scarlet that was added by her first owner in 1983. It is marked Customatic. It was made by Clardy who started doing aftermarket A/C units in the 1950s. They are still in the aftermarket a/c business in Haltom which is a suburb of Ft. Worth. The piece in the upper right is constructed like ours but is not for a FJ40. I agree it is probably for a 55 or 60.

DSC03652small.jpg

Thanks for the info, hopefully I can find a picture of it installed somewhere. I'll try websites for the manufacturer you mentioned.

Clardy looks to be right! just needed the right key word

Looks like one that works with the later heater in a 40 to keep the factory heat. Possibly without modification.

Curious @B1oodyBuzzard was this in the Facebook link you shared with me or a different one? I never got a response from that guy. I take it you are going down the ac rabbit hole?

I stand corrected. The second piece matches up. Just not familiar with that box. Good luck getting it to work. Ours came complete. To get it working, I had to replace the compressor, dryer and hoses. Works well enough until it gets over 90 degrees. Not too bad since I'm trying to air condition an uninsulated tin can.

The glove box floor would prevent that from fitting up very high. I never had a 55 so not sure how it would fit in them. I wound check under the dash clearance before buying. If you have a passenger very often might not want that huge evaporator hanging down. Wonder if that white hose in the box sitting in it is suppose to be used for the stock heater duct.

I stand corrected. The second piece matches up. Just not familiar with that box. Good luck getting it to work. Ours came complete. To get it working, I had to replace the compressor, dryer and hoses. Works well enough until it gets over 90 degrees. Not too bad since I'm trying to air condition an uninsulated tin can.

Keep my running 40s at 7,000'. Have no elusion a A/C will cool in the AZ desert. Know it can be done but in the end will not look close to stock any more.
I need to find one of these.
$(KGrHqEOKn!E2S(rF!cmBN)EyOhUVQ___3.jpg

So I can modify this
thumbnail_IMG_3270.jpg

To look like this.
BB33A77B-0C4F-451E-A763-E635D41F3017.png

I would like to be on a dirt road and not have to eat the dust from the vehicle in front of me.
Close up a FJ40 right when it warm out you quickly how hot and stuffy a tin box a 40 is. A/C hopefully will make it more bearable.

Looks like one that works with the later heater in a 40 to keep the factory heat. Possibly without modification.

Curious @B1oodyBuzzard was this in the Facebook link you shared with me or a different one? I never got a response from that guy. I take it you are going down the ac rabbit hole?
This is different than the Facebook link. I’ve actually put eyes on it. Would have to dig for the other parts that go with the kit. I am just developing a report with the gentleman with the parts, who knows where it will lead.

I’m hoping to sell a motorcycle soon and would be interested in AC and/power steering when the money frees up. But he showed this to me and I wasn’t sure how it installed.

love digging up old threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom