Gauging interest: Group Buy 60 series mirror adapters (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in having a viable option for mirror choices if the price is fair?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschruff

Make PSILOCYBIN legal for TBI/PTSD/TRA&D
Threads
Of the many rabbit holes I've been down during this build, 60 series mirrors are one of the top three that have aggravated the living crap out of me. I've tried doing custom projects in the past and have failed miserably - simply don't have the knowledge, period. So. . .

I've contacted three companies:

Scott's Hot Rods.

Spoke to Justin yesterday and asked about getting a set of billet 60 series mirrors produced. They already produce a set for the c10, which is how I found them. I sent several pics of the 60 mirrors. He's going to give a rough estimate based on producing 4+ sets. The more sets produced, the cheaper each set will be. Full disclosure - the only way to make this affordable will be to have a high group buy turnout.

Design Development & Engineering (DDE) and Defender Upgrades (DU) (both UK companies):

Both companies make billet LR Defender mirror arms. DDE is telescoping, DU has puddle lights. As with Scott's Hot Rods, I contacted both companies and asked about getting the arms produced to fit on a 60 series LC either directly or indirectly (directly meaning made by design to git the 60 series; indirectly meaning making as small as possible adapter plate that will allow the Defender arms to mate to the 60 series door). Regardless of direction, utilizing this design will be the cheaper version compared to Scotts Hot Rods.

As of now, this is just a FYI. As soon as I get prices from all 3 companies, I'll post and start a poll to see if a group buy is feasible or not. Pics attached for reference - although the Scott's Hot Rods picture is of their c10 mirrors just to show the quality of workmanship.

Last thought - maybe 'someone' on here with some serious fab skills can take the Defender arms and design/produce the adapters=)

Shane

2 Land-rover-Defender-Aluminium-Mirror-Arm-with-puddle-lamps.png
Defender Mirror 4 FJ60.jpg
Defender Mirrors with lights 4 FJ60.png
land-rover-defender-mirror-arms-with-puddle-lamps-1.jpg

Last edited:
That mirror size is too small in my opinion. That’s a variation of the small ’car’ mirrors that
60’s came with. Most want something larger with better sight projections.
Have you looked at the original 70 series Euro mirrors? They have a longer single arm. They are
a popular swap/upgrade.

That mirror size is too small in my opinion. That’s a variation of the small ’car’ mirrors that
60’s came with. Most want something larger with better sight projections.
Have you looked at the original 70 series Euro mirrors? They have a longer single arm. They are
a popular swap/upgrade.

@cruiserpilot - agreed but the small c10 mirror was just for reference on the type of work they do. As stated above, the job would be to create an exact match of the OEM 60 mirror.

I had a set of the 70 series mirrors but didn't like the small gap.

But. . .I'm pretty sure the price of those mirrors are going to be astronomical without a significant group buy - and getting people to bite off ICON4x4 prices, even for an exact match, is astronomically low.

So, that leaves what I think will be one of the Defender setups. . .we'll see how this pans out when I get the pricing back.

I'll take the c10 mirror pic out - didn't realize it was confusing.

Thx for the feedback/input.

Shane

If you could figure out how to rotate that pivoting base to horizontal bolt pattern instead
of vertical you’d have something. Then just a matter of getting swingarm angle correct.
I can’t even begin to think about expensive mirrors. Too many trees in my world.

If you could figure out how to rotate that pivoting base to horizontal bolt pattern instead
of vertical you’d have something. Then just a matter of getting swingarm angle correct.
I can’t even begin to think about expensive mirrors. Too many trees in my world.

DDE & DU are thinking the same thing. Rec'd communication from both companies last night - both are thinking either an adapter or milling the Defender arm just as you stated.

Now I have to find a junk door, cut out the mirror attachment section, and send it to them with my old mirrors. Mirrors, check. Happy to pay postage, check. Junk door, NASA we have a problem, lol.

Going to contact one of my buddies in the UK to see if he can help facilitate this - otherwise, I'l grab a door off of eBay and have it shipped.

Still waiting to her back from SCR - personally, if I can get the 60 mirrors down to <1K, I'd be all over the billet set of OEM mirrors. But, again, I personally find the Defender setup SAF and would be 99% happy with them mounted to the 60.

Trees - same here, I literally live in the wood but I don't wheel. Both designs are breakaway type mirrors just so u know=)

Shane

Break away, yup! This is the third drivers mirror, second passenger for me. Have to admit it was a fluke, trying to clear lower tree
and the length in the forest pushed this one over, quite unexpectedly.

P1010242.JPG

Ok, Bryan from DDE is on it! Basically, he gave two options: 1) Design a Defender mirror to mount direction to the 60 series door and 2) design an adapter that allows any Defender mirror (eg, the telescoping mirror, stock mirror, puddle light mirror) to be mounted to the 60 series door.

I'm sending him one of my old mirror assemblies. I would like to include a door skin section of where the mirror mounts to the door, maybe a 10 inch wide or something similar. . .so looking for that piece now. If someone can provide a door skin section, I'll pay the shipping to me and then will ship the skin with the mirror to Bryan.

Group buy - his minimum order is 25 units, regardless of option. Once I get the premilinary info (pricing, CAD drawing, etc.), I'll post and start requesting potential buyers.

Thanks-

Shane

Update:

Ok. . .contacted Maarten with Cruiserworld.eu since I've done business with him previously and he's always provided outstanding products/customer service. Purchasing 1 OEM 60 series Euro mirror and having it mailed to Bryan @ DDE.

Once Bryan receives the mirror, he'll start the process of developing the above discussed mirror options for the 60 series. In addition, Bryan stated they design and mfg gaskets/pads in-house, so they will be included with the 60 series kit.

The pics are general pics showing what the mirror looks like with a mount similar to the 60 series - meaning the bend in the surface mount. Personally, I like the look of the 2nd pic but these are speculative at the moment. . .

Once Bryan sends me info - CAD drawing, pricing, etc. - I'll post up with another update and start a solid GB thread.

FYI - Defender mirrors are cheap (relatively), have huge aftermarket support and come in many different styles, including military grade unbreakable rubber. Multiple arms are also available, including towing, adjustable, breakaway, etc.

Shane

Defender FJ60 Mirror.jpg

Defender Mirror Idea.jpg

@cruiserpilot - agreed but the small c10 mirror was just for reference on the type of work they do. As stated above, the job would be to create an exact match of the OEM 60 mirror.

I had a set of the 70 series mirrors but didn't like the small gap.

But. . .I'm pretty sure the price of those mirrors are going to be astronomical without a significant group buy - and getting people to bite off ICON4x4 prices, even for an exact match, is astronomically low.

So, that leaves what I think will be one of the Defender setups. . .we'll see how this pans out when I get the pricing back.

I'll take the c10 mirror pic out - didn't realize it was confusing.

Thx for the feedback/input.

Shane

Why not have an adapter made to address the gap issue on the otherwise very good FJ70 mirrors? Just installed these mirrors, and aside from the gap, they are a huge improvement over the OEM mirrors in my opinion. I would be happy to sign-up for buying a set of adapters that would address the gap.

Why not have an adapter made to address the gap issue on the otherwise very good FJ70 mirrors? Just installed these mirrors, and aside from the gap, they are a huge improvement over the OEM mirrors in my opinion. I would be happy to sign-up for buying a set of adapters that would address the g
I tried finding someone to do that last year but consistently struck out. When I started down the mirror path this year, I wanted to either find a mirror that has significant aftermarket support or have an exact replica designed & made (billet). I ran across the Defender mirror on another vehicle and that pretty much sent me to where I am now.

I like the OEM Toyota mirrors, problem is the mirrors have a limited supply, ever escalating pricing, and as a restomod guy, just like the look of the Defender mirrors and mounts > Toyota's.

Funny thing is - went to buy the ICON4x4 mirrors for the 60 and they no longer offer it. . .that was the catalyst that brought me to the Defender mirrors.

Shane

Went to the DDE website and saw the adapter they make that allows the mirrors to go from vertical to horizontal which would be very useful, and saw the prices and the availability of aftermarket and factory mirrors. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Went to the DDE website and saw the adapter they make that allows the mirrors to go from vertical to horizontal which would be very useful, and saw the prices and the availability of aftermarket and factory mirrors. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Saw the adapter you stated - same thought as you, extremely useful. Was also thinking once the pricing and whatnot is sorted, maybe a 'a la cart' for additional add-ons can be made available (eg, vert/horizontal adapter, mirror arms, mirrors, complete assemblies, etc.) related to the group buy - not required but just to give readily available options.

A few of the arms I've seen come pre-wired for either puddle or heat. I like having fwd facing lights on the mirrors. Rigid makes a really nice light (SR-L, flush or surface mount, 3-wire; measures 4.5x1.5, 1450lm output) that could be mounted to the mirrors for flood, marker and turn signals - just as an example.

And i'm excited as well. . .like ants in my pants f'n excited!

@dbleon @regretful

Another thought and one that I'll discuss with Bryan @ DDE:

Seems to be a hit or miss if 60 series mirrors shake - my driver's side steady, passenger's side like a bad acid trip.

I'll have to talk to Jason first but if feasible, maybe have Bryan make either a larger adapter and/or a mounting plate for the inside of the door that is oversized compared to the exterior.

I'm great at ideas, terrible on knowledge and how-to, thus my need to talk to Jason @TRAIL TAILOR to get his thoughts.

I tried finding someone to do that last year but consistently struck out. When I started down the mirror path this year, I wanted to either find a mirror that has significant aftermarket support or have an exact replica designed & made (billet). I ran across the Defender mirror on another vehicle and that pretty much sent me to where I am now.

I like the OEM Toyota mirrors, problem is the mirrors have a limited supply, ever escalating pricing, and as a restomod guy, just like the look of the Defender mirrors and mounts > Toyota's.

Funny thing is - went to buy the ICON4x4 mirrors for the 60 and they no longer offer it. . .that was the catalyst that brought me to the Defender mirrors.

Shane

Thanks. Do you know why nobody was able to make an adapter for the 70 series mirror? The defender mirrors do look nice too! And indeed seem very affordable, even if developing an adapter would be more difficult/expensive.

Thanks. Do you know why nobody was able to make an adapter for the 70 series mirror? The defender mirrors do look nice too! And indeed seem very affordable, even if developing an adapter would be more difficult/expensive.

At the time of my 70 mirror journey, I really didn't have the knowledge base I have now. Part of it was not connecting to the right ppl, the other part was connecting with uber expensive shops.

Strangely enough, there's a defender mirror adapter for another vehicle on the market already - the strange part is...that vehicle has a door mount line almost exactly like the 60 series. I'll try to find the original picture I saved and if I find it, I'll post it for reference. Maybe a vehicle called the vanwagen or something of the sort. The adapter for that specific vehicle is not overly attractive but it's functional and may serve as an excellent starting point for the 60's.

Shane

I think you mean Volkswagen "Vanagon" (see below). As the mounting holes on the FJ60 are on the vertical part of the door, this adapter would require some changes. Maybe they would be interested in making a different type adapter for the FJ60 :).

Vanagon LR mirror adapter.png

I think you mean Volkswagen "Vanagon" (see below). As the mounting holes on the FJ60 are on the vertical part of the door, this adapter would require some changes. Maybe they would be interested in making a different type adapter for the FJ60 :).

View attachment 2709710
That's correct but I used the vanagon as an example. Appreciate the feedback and recommendations. . .

General update:
R&D mirror purchased and being shipped to the fabricator. Will update again once preliminary estimates come in.

#excited

was wondering about this. good news!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom