Update on the 520 carb I bought on Ebay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1977 FJ40. Rather new to me. The truck had been somewhat de-smogged, but wasn't running very good. I rebuilt the stock carb, but could never get it dialed in. Always seemed to be running rich and bogging down. So I found and purchased a carb off ebay that was stated to be compatible with my truck. I've been tinkering with it for a month or so. I like to tinker and learn, so it was all good. Anyway, I finally got it dialed in and thought I would share. The carb was $165 and $22 shipping. It arrived quickly, just a couple of days as I remember. Looks brand new, not one bit of documentation included. Nothing. I installed it and it seemed to run very rich. I couldn't get it dialed in. Getting hesitation as with the stock carb.

So last week I took it apart and just happen to notice a spare set of jets, one each screwed into the side plugs you remove so you can stick a screw driver in to remove the jets. I was pissed and happy all at once. Pissed that I had no idea they were there. Happy to have something to try. Anyway, I installed these jets into the corresponding location to where the plug came from. I noticed an immediate positive difference. Engine does not seem to be running rich. I was getting some hesitation. I searched on this site and found a thread regarding adjustment, and based on that I realized that I had the idle mixture screw too far in and had the fast idle too high. I set the idle mixture screw 2 3/4 turns out. Then I adjusted the fast idle screw (I think that is the correct name) so that the truck was at 700 rpm. The hesitation from stop is now gone and the truck is running the best ever.

My stock dizzy does the vacuum advance correctly. I know there was some discussion that various years do vacuum retard and such, but my 1977 seems to do the correct vacuum advance. I think my carb issues are resolved.

One thing to note, this carb is a little shorter than the stock one. It would be a better fit if there was a thicker spacer in the middle or it came with some spacer to raise it up off the manifold about 1/4". Also, the choke cable attachment is different. I had to swap that part from the stock carb so I had something to hold the choke cable.

The carb is sold here if anyone else is in the market and likes to tackle stuff like this on their own.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/520-NEW-CAR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecfdb9f04&vxp=mtr

Yup, it's just like the carbs Marshal sells, and the jets in the bowl plugs are "supposed" to be the high altitude jets, unless some one stuck them in the wrong spot, props for tinkering with her and getting it right!

Don't buy the ebay carb, buy from Marshall (Trollhole). He checks each carb before it goes out and you also have some limited technical support if you buy from him. He'll also include the correct linkage when you buy.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-f-2f-carbs.306614/

img_9901-jpg.937073

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom