1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

update on SEARCH

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Junk, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Junk

Junk

This is sticked for a day or two so most of you see it.

I know that I'm critical on everyone for using SEARCH and I've been seeing a lot of folks starting their threads with "I tried search but...". I just wanted to say thanks for trying search. Of course not every topic has been previously discussed, and perhaps you are searching for one word not used or abbreviated in the thread so it doesn't come up. Whatever the reason for not finding the right info, I believe everyone here appreciates the fact that more are searching before posting. If you have a question on ARB lockers and can't find the right info, it may not be there, or it may be buried. What matters most is that you TRIED to find it first.

The main reason for the search is that there are so many great fact filled threads out there, with step by step instructions or other great info. If you don't search, you may be missing out.

This post was not intended to be a rant, rather a thank you for using the SEARCH function. While it's important to search, we still do not want anyone to hesitate posting questions though. That's one reason the forum is here (the other of course is to make fun of Tyler's latte).

Without further delay....See the below for Woody's comments on the SEARCH function.
    [quote author=woody link=board=9;threadid=11306;start=msg106741#msg106741 date=1077108421]
    https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=11437

1> enter a word(s) in the box (valvoline)
    2> select "match all/any/phrase" (selected all)
    3> ignore the user/dropdown (leave as is)
    4> click "check all" to uncheck everything, then check only the sections you believe you'll find an answer (80-100 tech)
    5> select fields (I keep both usually)
    6> ignore min age (unless you want older posts), select max age (720 days)
    7> choose results quantity (500)

That search resulted in 87 hits....oldest thread April 1, 2003

[/quote]

2. yooper

yooper Lost user SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    What a lot of people are probably missing on their first search attempts is that the Max Age default is 60 days, so that you're only searching the last 60 days of posts. Perhaps we should set the Max Age default longer? I always set it to a year when I search, unless I know it was a recent topic.

thanks for your hard work Junk!

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

[glow=black,2,2]Hi ,

I tried doing a search on 'how to do a search..' and came up empty handed ... I did have it set to search the admin forum , for the last 30 mins .. wtf gives ??? :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :p

Good stuff though Junk ... lay out how to maximize searches . There ought to be a search write up and subsequent exam 'pre-joining' .. before we let 'em thru the gate .

As for lattes .. I know not latte . I quit fast food last month .. and lattes , coffee , and sodas 10 days ago . Now I'm a completely unhappy prick .. kinda like you sometimes .. hehe . And my cheerful chuckle has turned into a sour snicker . Even an elderly patient retorted 'why are you snickering at me ??!!' , after I asked her if she wanted a warm blanket , and smiled/chuckled in acknowledgment when she agreed with the suggestion . And don't tell me diet soda is the bomb , cause that aspertame s***e will kill ya man ! :flipoff2: :slap: [/glow]

[glow=black,2,2]T Y L E R - Or a low glycemic faximile ...

[color=0000FF]T[/color][color=0008FF]O[/color][color=0010FF]Y[/color][color=0018FF]O[/color][color=0020FF]T[/color][color=0028FF]A [/color][color=0030FF]F[/color][color=0038FF]Z[/color][color=0040FF]J[/color][color=0048FF]8[/color][color=0050FF]0 [/color][color=0058FF]C[/color][color=0060FF]R[/color][color=0068FF]U[/color][color=0070FF]I[/color][color=0078FF]S[/color][color=0080FF]E[/color][color=0088FF]R[/color][color=0090FF]S [/color][color=0098FF]R[/color][color=00A0FF]O[/color][color=00A8FF]C[/color][color=00B0FF]K [/color][color=00B8FF]![/color][color=00C0FF]![/color][color=00C8FF]![/color][/glow]

4. Shortbus

Shortbus

Junk...

Another thing that's helped quite a few of my searches is to change the "Search -All- Members only" box to "Any poster". Sometimes that increases hits by a bunch. Not sure if it's actually a function of the posters or the search engine. But, it helps.

Also, using ONE word in the search seems to work best with this engine. Seems like giving it 2 words to chew on is sometimes counter productive.

Just my 2 cents. :flipoff2:

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Crap T-

Go to Starbucks and send me the receipt :flipoff2:

6. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Tyler,
    I feel for you, I quit the Corona'a and Caffine for Lent (Just to make sure I can) The first week is the worst!
    :whoops: I thought I was in the chat section ! Please don't report me to the moderator :D

7. otis22

otis22

Junk-

As a newbie, I've been using the search function quite actively over the past six months to answer my questions. I've noticed that after the recent switch to the new server that the search function doesn't appear to give same type of results on searches in the archives that it did before the move. Before the move, I would set the max days to 600 and would receive a fairly complete result to my query. Now I find I must break my search up into 100 day increments (going back to 600 days) to get the same results as my earlier queries that I had run. It is quite easy to test yourself, you'll find that you get more hits to a particular query if you break up the dates going backwards. (I set the number of hits to display to a higher number)

The ideas you're putting out for upgrading the site are right on.

8. Beowulf

Beowulf

Otis,
    Very interesting. You may be on to something that could be a config setting that would increase the effectiveness of the search. Can you give more specifics.... maybe a sample search with the number of hits returned?
    -B-

9. otis22

otis22

This is sample search I just did you can try it and see if you get the same results.

Search Word: Birfield Grease (match all words)
    Forums Searched: 80 & 100 Series Tech
    Min Max Age: 0 to 600 Days
    Display Results: 100

When I conduct the search I only get returns for the month of February 2004. However if I go back and and then change the Min Max Age from 100 to 200 I get results from November 2003 back. You can keep doing this in 100 unit increments going back to 600 hundred. I tried upping the day increments to about I think somewhere north of 150 and then it gets cut off.

The tip off is usually the dates that are displayed don't go back as far as the what is available in the archives. This could be something specific to my computer, but it seemed to happen when the site switched servers.

10. firetruck41

firetruck41

I still have problems with search. I did one this AM with setting : all words; any poster; 600 days, and got all the current posts none of which had my keywords in it. I did a search with the same and "exact phrase" and got some decent results. This search function does not make sense to me. Very difficult to find the information you want, I know it's out there because I read them several months ago... oh well. :'(

11. Shortbus

Shortbus

12. Junk

Junk

Thanks Otis. Woody has read your comments. He's still working on a few migration issues.

I know I tend :D to be a tad :D abrasive at times, but I really appreciate everyone kicking in here like this. It's great to see so many folks help. Then again, no surprise really, except that B is going through avatars faster than I am new blocks. :D

13. Klunky Chris

Klunky Chris

Hey!

This is a helpfull thread!

THIS ISN'T JUNK! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH JUNK!?!

he he... couldn't resist

14. firetruck41

firetruck41

[quote author=Shortbus link=board=2;threadid=11756;start=msg107436#msg107436 date=1077225831]
    Nice avatar -B-.
    [/quote]
    Hey newbie, that's his old Avatar ;)

I didn't notice, when did you change yours?

15. - S.A. -

- S.A. -

[glow=red,2,300]JUNKER..[/glow]
    I searched for "xxxx" and there were no results.
    Please Advise.

Later..
    Joe

16. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

If anybody needs a new Avatar it's you, Junk. Now that you are an upstanding member of the comunity.

Hey, maybe a good contest for a T Shirt.........

17. Beowulf

Beowulf

Yep, this avatar came out of the used parts bin. Photoman made the new one for me a few days ago but after looking at it a while I'll agree the new one was just not right. I may get Kit to give me a picture of his real one, but he'll have to fess up to having one first. ;)
    -B-

18. Junk

Junk

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=11756;start=msg107577#msg107577 date=1077243411]
    If anybody needs a new Avatar it's you, Junk. Now that you are an upstanding member of the comunity.
    Hey, maybe a good contest for a T Shirt.........[/quote]

It would be hard to change it. It fits me well and was my avatar from day 1 on the board. Thought about it, but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Not sure about being an upstanding member of the community. I've been called a member and been told that I bring down values in every community. :eek: :D

19. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    Holy Toledo,

There is a genuine oxymoron if one existed:

"Junk" and "appropriate"............. :rolleyes:

JK, ya old bottom feeder, you................... :flipoff2:

20. Beowulf

Beowulf

Someday we'll have to share Junk's first visit to the SOR forum. That was a bull in a china shop if there ever was one. :D

-B-