update on mudding problems, still need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rockcrawler
update: the only cover i can remove underneath is the flywheel cover. there's a little mud at the bottom but nothing built up or causing a problem in there. i started it up and when idling, every few seconds it will make this hard hitting metal sound and the rear drive shaft will twitch, like it's trying to get engaged. (that's just how i was before my wedding). does that confirm the transfer gear theory? : FJAfrica 'Sounds to me like the throw-out bearing is ready to retire. Often this happens when you drown it in mud. Those bearings are not well sealed, the mud & water get in. Could have seezed the bearing, now the pressure plate is turning on the bearing surface, hence the possible metal-on-metal noise'

Sorry,I am not up on the entire story. The TO should ride on the dog clutch/arm around 1/16"- 1/8" off the PP arms. I rides @ 90' to the input shaft of the tranny. The gap you have is = to the freeplay in the slave, in theory. You can look up there and see the TO running. If you get a random "smack" that stutters the RR shaft the TO could not do that. It could be your starter, crap in the bellhousing, major rod knock, etc..... The clutch itself could be warped and cause this. How does the clutch work? Can you get a buddy to work the gears while you are under the truck? A good buddy?! Send more details

I presume the "twitch" happens in neutral?
I agree with David, the TO bearing is supposed to have some free play, but I have experienced one occaision where the TO bearing had worn a groove into the Pressure Plate causing it to stick to the plate and not releasing properly. However, I don't think this is your problem.

Maybe you need to crawl under there when its idling, and try to determine where the "hard hitting metal" sound is coming from. Is it from the flywheel side, clutch or the transmission/txf case?

Does the sound go away when you press the clutch in?

the twitch happens in neutral, when the rear drive shaft tries to turn, but the same sounds is made while driving. i just can't look underneath to see what's going on. i think i'm just gonna scrap the whole thing and swap in an automatic. does anyone know how many splines i need? anyone looking for a 3 spd? anyone have an adapter for an automatic for sale? i have the adapter for the v8 i'll sell.

oh yeah, the metal sound is coming from the transmission, and the sound stops when the clutch is pushed in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom