UPDATE - Help Diagnosing Leaks After Storage - The (Embarrassing) Source of these Leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings. 1995 FZJ80 with 170,400 miles. This vehicle was stored in a professional indoor storage facility for the past 15 months while I was deployed.

The truck was delivered today. Very glad to have it back and to plan some camping in the coming year.

While in storage, the vehicle was started and brought to operating temperature biweekly, but was never driven.

After taking possession and driving twenty miles today, I inspected the frame, axles and drive shafts. I found two leaks that need to be addressed and would appreciate the Forum’s help diagnosing the issues and laying out a plan of attack. I’d like to tackle these projects myself.

ISSUE 1: After sitting for several hours today (after the 20 mile drive), I found this puddle under the AC Dryer. I’m quite positive this is transmission fluid, but I’m not sure if it’s from the power steering system or the transmission cooler lines. I could see the fluid forming a drop on the AC Dryer Bracket (the fluid smells sweet, which is why I’m pretty sure it’s ATF)...

A59B51A9-04F2-497D-BCEC-C3E731F9F93D.jpeg

Here are some photos of the area where I found the leak and the area around it...

F68191C6-B447-4F40-A4E3-E5080057E26A.jpeg

CBE61A6F-0249-4540-82FF-4607089A56CA.jpeg

The power steering reservoir is full and power steering is operating properly. The transmission fluid is at the correct level. The leak concerns me, as the puddle was quite large fur having sat only a few hours.

ISSUE 2: Guessing I finally have a leaking axle seal. This vehicle has been all through Latin America and Southern Africa. 170,000 miles. 22 years old. Never had the Birfield Joints rebuilt. Found this weeping on the inside of the drivers front wheel. Notice the leak dripping off the steering arm studs...

278AED16-95D9-4B0F-9838-3497C1374301.jpeg

926D1A72-078A-4CB7-A508-8B6270D6D0BF.jpeg

Note that there is no sign of oil on the outside of the driver’s wheel. I’ve not yet checked the Birfield with a zip tie, but will do so tomorrow and advise. The passenger side Birfield Joint looks fine. I have kept my knuckles filled 3/4 with moly over the life of the truck.

PLAN OF ATTACK: While I’m disappointed with this, especially after having it in storage so long, it’s probably to be expected given the age. Kind of puzzled why the knuckle would go in storage, but I guess seals wear out or dry out from no use.

To be honest, I’m pretty keen to tackle this. The axle service, if that’s what’s needed, will be my biggest job yet on this truck.

I’m in no rush to address these issues. The truck is not a daily driver so it can sit in the garage while I work on it. I have basic tools and will get what’s needed to complete this job (e.g., Joey’s 54mm Hub Nut Tool).

So, any diagnoses, suggestions or tips are most welcome. I’ll take more photos as needed. I’ve power washed the underside to better identify the leaks in a day or two and will advise any changes.

Also, if any Forum members are in the Tidewater, Virginia area and would be willing to assist or mentor me through this, I’d be most grateful and willing to provide plenty of food, beer and even a stipend for the time. My goal is to learn from this, but also to get it done properly.

Many thanks. Glad to be home and back on the Forum.

First leak ... it looks a lot like water. ATF should be bright red and have a distinct smell. (Old ATF will turn more brown, but still have a smell). Generally the AC condensation drips on the passenger side though...

2nd is definitely the axle oil seal. Gear oil gets past it and into the knuckle, which should only have grease, not oil. The oil then is leaked outside the knuckle. To access the axle seal, you'll need to essentially disassemble the knuckle and pull the birfs, so most will just "rebuild" it with new gaskets and repack bearings. I personally enjoy doing this job, it is satisfying.

x2. Even if the engine was run competently, the seals have likely dried out due to lack of use. After you get it on the road, take it easy for a couple of hundred miles, to wet all the seals again. Oh, and keep an eye on all the potential driveline leak points.

I'd only add that if you have that many miles on it, I'd think about swapping the outer driveshafts (the Birfields) from one side to the other. The inner shafts are different lengths, due to the offset transfer case, but the outer ones are the same. The advantage is that they (usually) only see wear in one direction (forward, not the band) and swapping them allows for the back (contact) side to get some use. Even if they're not clicking yet, you'll get more mileage out of them this way.

Oh, and welcome home.

Thanks guys.

Whatever is dripping from the AC Dryer is oily to the touch and smells sweet, but it’s not red (good point - missed that in my “panic” moment). I’ll see what it looks like tomorrow after everything has dried from the house wash (and when the lighting is better).

Appreciate the axle seal diagnosis, which I was pretty sure of. Must have dried out in storage, but that’s to be expected I guess. I’ll check all fluid levels tomorrow and see what’s in the knuckle as best I can.

I’m kinda looking forward to the axle job. Something I’ve wanterd to learn.

Thanks guys.

Whatever is dripping from the AC Dryer is oily to the touch and smells sweet, but it’s not red (good point - missed that in my “panic” moment). I’ll see what it looks like tomorrow after everything has dried from the house wash (and when the lighting is better).

Appreciate the axle seal diagnosis, which I was pretty sure of. Must have dried out in storage, but that’s to be expected I guess. I’ll check all fluid levels tomorrow and see what’s in the knuckle as best I can.

I’m kinda looking forward to the axle job. Something I’ve wanterd to learn.

The first leak may very well be power steering fluid. What color fluid do you have in the system? I had a leak by the factory power steering cooler...I ended up replacing the whole unit with an aftermarket one. Have a look around the cooler and make sure thats not the problem area.

Thanks @GunRunner. I have red ATF in the power steering system. I’ll look around more closely tomorrow in the daylight. I’ll also look carefully at the cooler, as those lines are right in that area where I’m seeing the leak.

Would you also think having the car in storage would dry out something like a seal in that system?

I never have smelled ATF that I would call sweet. However antifreeze will have a sweet smell, that is why animals will ingest it. I would clean that knuckle and surrounding and see what happens after putting some miles on your vehicle. It is common for oil to separate out of grease over time. This happens all the time with my grease gun as an example. More so in a hot environment.

Well, I feel stupid - especially after being away from Mud for so long and coming back with this mysterious (embarrassing) leak issue.

I was carefully looking under the truck this evening trying to track down these leaks. Couldn’t figure out why there was red ATF dripping off my Knuckle Studs and what turned out to be clear gear oil dripping off the AC Dryer. Plus, the puddles were huge and all my fluids read full! It didn’t make sense.

Turns out all the spare fluids I keep in that empty space in the battery box were leaking, creating a weird concoction of gear oil, ATF, motor oil and brake fluid. There were pinhole leaks in every container!! I feel so stupid.

F104C705-77ED-48E7-856E-792365301E35.jpeg

A8815858-AD22-45AB-9A7D-66D021F8BD4F.jpeg

Guess that’s a bad place to store fluids.

I’ve always had a quart of oil there. Perhaps I crammed too much in this time. I’m thinking the storage guys must have put a trickle charger in that area and crushed the containers.

Anyway, all’s fine. I’m also thinking this may even explain what I thought was Birf Soup, the second issue, but I’m going to watch the knuckles carefully regardless. It’s past time for that service.

Tomorrow I’ll degrease everything and clean it up real good, then see if there are any leaks.

How dumb! Was a nice surprise to figure that out at 11:00 this evening!

Thanks all for the replies.

You are not the first person to be baffled and mislead by that exact same situation.

Are you like a squirrel or something?

LOL, I haven't had a chuckle like that for awhile.

Get a milk crate or a rubbermaid to keep all that stuff handy and in the truck if you feel like you need it.

Also, that has to be the cleanest truck someone has posted here in quite some time. Show us the rest of it.

Yeah...I felt pretty stupid!

Funny.

I guess I’m just obsessive like a lot of us. I’ve driven that truck quite a bit in Africa (in its younger years) and just like to be prepared.

Mozambique...

B12087DB-D279-4A02-9F0C-2B130AA0F07A.jpeg

Botswana (hood is up for cooling...it was hot that day...)...

1F0BE554-ABF0-4A8B-BEAF-BED5E7CA7174.jpeg

Roadside exhaust repair in South Africa...

8E30BD08-6E29-4B79-92B1-541C4D910D9C.jpeg

Thanks for the reply.

Are you like a squirrel or something?

LOL, I haven't had a chuckle like that for awhile.

Get a milk crate or a rubbermaid to keep all that stuff handy and in the truck if you feel like you need it.

Also, that has to be the cleanest truck someone has posted here in quite some time. Show us the rest of it.

I’ll definitely be monitoring it. First thing I thought was oil from the AC system, but figured that would leak from the compressor. Guess it could leak anywhere in the system though.

Plus, the dripping fluid off the AC Dryer was clearly the gear oil I had in the battery tray above it. Slippery, clear, a distinct smell and clean.

Thanks for the reply.

Wish all my oil leaks were that easy to fix!

This is the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time. Glad it turned out to be something simple.

Greetings. 1995 FZJ80 with 170,400 miles. This vehicle was stored in a professional indoor storage facility for the past 15 months while I was deployed.

The truck was delivered today. Very glad to have it back and to plan some camping in the coming year.
While in storage, the vehicle was started and brought to operating temperature biweekly, but was never driven.
After taking possession and driving twenty miles today, I inspected the frame, axles and drive shafts. I found two leaks that need to be addressed and would appreciate the Forum’s help diagnosing the issues and laying out a plan of attack. I’d like to tackle these projects myself.

ISSUE 1: After sitting for several hours today (after the 20 mile drive), I found this puddle under the AC Dryer. I’m quite positive this is transmission fluid, but I’m not sure if it’s from the power steering system or the transmission cooler lines. I could see the fluid forming a drop on the AC Dryer Bracket (the fluid smells sweet, which is why I’m pretty sure it’s ATF)...

View attachment 1571416

Here are some photos of the area where I found the leak and the area around it...

View attachment 1571420

View attachment 1571421

The power steering reservoir is full and power steering is operating properly. The transmission fluid is at the correct level. The leak concerns me, as the puddle was quite large fur having sat only a few hours.

ISSUE 2: Guessing I finally have a leaking axle seal. This vehicle has been all through Latin America and Southern Africa. 170,000 miles. 22 years old. Never had the Birfield Joints rebuilt. Found this weeping on the inside of the drivers front wheel. Notice the leak dripping off the steering arm studs...

View attachment 1571423

View attachment 1571424

Note that there is no sign of oil on the outside of the driver’s wheel. I’ve not yet checked the Birfield with a zip tie, but will do so tomorrow and advise. The passenger side Birfield Joint looks fine. I have kept my knuckles filled 3/4 with moly over the life of the truck.

PLAN OF ATTACK: While I’m disappointed with this, especially after having it in storage so long, it’s probably to be expected given the age. Kind of puzzled why the knuckle would go in storage, but I guess seals wear out or dry out from no use.

To be honest, I’m pretty keen to tackle this. The axle service, if that’s what’s needed, will be my biggest job yet on this truck.

I’m in no rush to address these issues. The truck is not a daily driver so it can sit in the garage while I work on it. I have basic tools and will get what’s needed to complete this job (e.g., Joey’s 54mm Hub Nut Tool).

So, any diagnoses, suggestions or tips are most welcome. I’ll take more photos as needed. I’ve power washed the underside to better identify the leaks in a day or two and will advise any changes.

Also, if any Forum members are in the Tidewater, Virginia area and would be willing to assist or mentor me through this, I’d be most grateful and willing to provide plenty of food, beer and even a stipend for the time. My goal is to learn from this, but also to get it done properly.

Many thanks. Glad to be home and back on the Forum.

Looks like H2O to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom