UPDATE: Backyard Fab (Hybrid Rear Axle) - Jul/Aug 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Just a quick update on the hybrid rear axle tech article I wrote for the Jul/Aug 2005 Trails.......

Thus far, the axle has survived the abuse of Katemcy TX, Gilbert MN, and Apple Valley Farms WI. All 3 have some dammed silly spots...

I did finally junk the cryo'd pinion shaft however....busted that up in early May at Apple Valley while trying to climb a steep ledge...pretty sure it was messed up earlier in the day tho. That experiment survived a whole year, which for me is pretty good :D Dropped in a fine-spline gearset and it's still going good.

I did do a fluid change immediately after Katemcy...wanted to be sure it looked decent....no problems whatsoever, which is good.

Off for more abuse in Attica IN on July 22-24 - will keep folks posted on what breaks next :rolleyes:

Ya, know, I read that article. Didn't realize it was by a famous person. Personally, I thought the idea was genius.

Good read on your backyard workmanship.

Also very much enjoyed Mark Whatleys contribuition, I just wanted to throttle those punks for torching yet another rig. Goood work on the clean up guys..

I thought this was a great idea as well. I would have never thought of it myself. And I happen to be collecting parts for a v-8 swap and I have a mini rear axlehousing sitting in my garage. If I can just figure out how to get a centered driveshaft to clear my 79 gas tank I might do it and use a minitruck or some other centered t-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom