UPDATE: Backyard Fab (Hybrid Rear Axle) - Jul/Aug 2005

Discussion in 'TLCA- Toyota Trails' started by woody, Jul 15, 2005.

1. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Just a quick update on the hybrid rear axle tech article I wrote for the Jul/Aug 2005 Trails.......

Thus far, the axle has survived the abuse of Katemcy TX, Gilbert MN, and Apple Valley Farms WI. All 3 have some dammed silly spots...

I did finally junk the cryo'd pinion shaft however....busted that up in early May at Apple Valley while trying to climb a steep ledge...pretty sure it was messed up earlier in the day tho. That experiment survived a whole year, which for me is pretty good :D Dropped in a fine-spline gearset and it's still going good.

I did do a fluid change immediately after Katemcy...wanted to be sure it looked decent....no problems whatsoever, which is good.

Off for more abuse in Attica IN on July 22-24 - will keep folks posted on what breaks next :rolleyes:

2. Chef

Chef

That was a neat idea, and a great article. Thanks mang!

3. pappy

pappy photosynthesizing Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ya, know, I read that article. Didn't realize it was by a famous person. Personally, I thought the idea was genius.

4. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

Good read on your backyard workmanship.

Also very much enjoyed Mark Whatleys contribuition, I just wanted to throttle those punks for torching yet another rig. Goood work on the clean up guys..

5. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

I thought this was a great idea as well. I would have never thought of it myself. And I happen to be collecting parts for a v-8 swap and I have a mini rear axlehousing sitting in my garage. If I can just figure out how to get a centered driveshaft to clear my 79 gas tank I might do it and use a minitruck or some other centered t-case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.