Upcoming Trip Ideas. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
So we talked about doing 1 camping trip per quarter at the last club meeting. We decided to do Solider Meadows to High Rock Canyon and I think we should extend it further north to Massacre Range and maybe even the ranger tower up near Shelton wildlife refuge. That would be three nights in early June maybe the 4th-6th?

I have been wanting to explore Dixie Valley and see the old military tanks and other artifacts leftover from days gone by. What does everyone think about trying to do that in March? Maybe a two-night?

1610691595103.png

Everyone post suggestions for Q1 (Jan-Mar), (Q2 is Black Rock), Q3 (Jul-Sep), and Q4 (Oct-Dec). TLCA events can replace these camping trips if there are ones the club wants to attend. I think Q3 should be stuff out West since the weather will be perfect for forested mountain trails. Each trip would replace one of the three official club day runs during each quarter.

I would like to do Mt. Patterson in early October before the snow sets in. We would be hitting Wheeler Peak and camping at 11,400 ft for two nights.

I will create a poll for voting for each quarter's destination ideas and we will designate a planner to get the details worked out. I'm happy to take care of June's trip planning.

Recommendation: Pine Forest range in Q1 if we fail to get snow, or Q2 or early Q3. Good scenery, lots of deer and antelope spotting in the off season. Trails are mostly mild, though from what I remember a couple years ago the one into Onion Valley from the East was pretty torn up. Highway access is 95 from Winnemucca, top off in Orovoda then backtrack to 140. Or loop around Black Rock as part of the High Rock trip, but that's a pretty big loop at that point.

Another cool spot you guys might be into, although maybe not for camping since it's super close to home for your club, is the Pine Nut Mts. Sort of between Carson CIty and Minden I guess is the best way to describe the area. I've been up there a few times, and it's really pretty. A some mining relics, a lot of horses, some pretty epic views.

HIgh desert mountains. Some bigger peaks that look interesting, although I have yet to go up any of the higher ones. Como ghost town is out there, with a big rotory mill. Kind of different.

I've been itching to get back to that area actually. Might have to make it happen next month.

Recommendation: Pine Forest range in Q1 if we fail to get snow, or Q2 or early Q3. Good scenery, lots of deer and antelope spotting in the off season. Trails are mostly mild, though from what I remember a couple years ago the one into Onion Valley from the East was pretty torn up. Highway access is 95 from Winnemucca, top off in Orovoda then backtrack to 140. Or loop around Black Rock as part of the High Rock trip, but that's a pretty big loop at that point.

I am very curious if we can link Soldier Meadows to Pine Forest Range and the dam area on up to the 140...

1611101494519.png

#1 is Soldier Meadows. #2 is Pine Forest Range. #3 is Steve's Camp. #4 is Hwy 395 near Sunrise Station (north of Alturas, CA). #5 there is supposed to be a Ranger Station/lookout tower.

I'm thinking we could head up Alturas or Cedarville and everyone grab a good night's sleep at a hotel.

Day 1: We head to Steve's camp and try to claim it. Once we setup camp, we can explore the surrounding area and maybe try to find the tower.
Day 2: Head south through HRC to Soldier Meadows and setup camp. A small group can then head out to see if we can link up to the Pine Forest routes via the purple route. We head back to camp to report our findings, unwind and relax after that.
Day 3:
Option 1: If we couldn't make the connection, then we head out toward Gerlach or spend another night at Soldier Meadows and do some more exploring.
Option 2: If we were successful the entire group heads to the dam in Pine Forest Range where we can eat lunch, enjoy the water. We can either camp there or nearby or continue on to Hwy 140 and head home via Hwy 95 S/i80 W.
Day 4: If we camp in Pine Forest, then we head home via Hwy 95 S / i80 W. Folks can grab another hotel in Winnemucca if they want or just continue on home.

I'm thinking a Thursday - Monday so folks only have to take a few days off work instead of an entire week. Getting to Steve's Camp on a Friday morning might increase our odds of snagging it in early June.

This is a variation of a trip I have done in the past.
1. Leave Reno after work to Smoke creek via Sand Pass. Camp at the creek, (Optional breakfast at Brunos)
2. Gerlach to Soldier Meadows. Visit opal mine on the way, continue north to Sheldon Wildlife refuge. Camp at Summit Lake.
3. Continue north to Knot Creek/ Onion Reservoir, fuel at Denio. Home via 140 to 95 to 80.

Not sure about camping at Summit Lake, first it's on the reservation, second it's at a relatively high altitude so could be cold.
Fuel at Denio can be iffy also.

This is a variation of a trip I have done in the past.
1. Leave Reno after work to Smoke creek via Sand Pass. Camp at the creek, (Optional breakfast at Brunos)
2. Gerlach to Soldier Meadows. Visit opal mine on the way, continue north to Sheldon Wildlife refuge. Camp at Summit Lake.
3. Continue north to Knot Creek/ Onion Reservoir, fuel at Denio. Home via 140 to 95 to 80.

Not sure about camping at Summit Lake, first it's on the reservation, second it's at a relatively high altitude so could be cold.
Fuel at Denio can be iffy also.

I was talking about Onion dam or knott creep reservoir. It is BLM. I was worried about the thing too though.

1611115607530.png

Looking at some old waypoints, I think there is only a few miles I haven't connected from Summit Lake road to Pearl Lake road on the west side of the Pine Forest range. Pretty flat, could be muddy. This might be the area that the guy broke down/got stuck on his motorcycle and was rescued by helicopter while I was camped up near Onion reservoir in snow back in 2019.

Looking at some old waypoints, I think there is only a few miles I haven't connected from Summit Lake road to Pearl Lake road on the west side of the Pine Forest range. Pretty flat, could be muddy. This might be the area that the guy broke down/got stuck on his motorcycle and was rescued by helicopter while I was camped up near Onion reservoir in snow back in 2019.
I wonder if it would be a muddy mess in June when we might attempt this trip.

Up by the opal mine is a great place to camp. Either the Virgin Valley campground / Dufurena Ponds area, or pay for the mine's campground. I'd like to hike Thousand Creek gorge at some point, I walked just into the western entrance quite a few years ago. Side note: the mine has some uranium opal, I used the stuff when I taught the Nuclear Science merit badge.

Up by the opal mine is a great place to camp. Either the Virgin Valley campground / Dufurena Ponds area, or pay for the mine's campground. I'd like to hike Thousand Creek gorge at some point, I walked just into the western entrance quite a few years ago. Side note: the mine has some uranium opal, I used the stuff when I taught the Nuclear Science merit badge.

If we manage to pull together enough folks who wanna do a multi-day trip like I suggested, the idea is that we spend enough time at each campground that folks can go explore on foot, or in vehicle, then return to camp whenever they want. I would love to see the opal mine and more hot springs, and whatever else there is to find.

Up on the Pine Forest Range... is there a forest around the reservoir, and dam?

Onion Res was low in around 2014, but I heard it was in good shape last year. I haven't hiked into Blue yet. Knott is a fishing lake, with lots of room for camping. The range is pretty green, quakies and pine. I don't think I have any pictures around Onion, this should be near Knott Creek Reservoir:

There appears to be a B52 crash site about 11 miles from our route. 42°1'46"N 118°39'39"W

Might be a fun detour on the bigger trip if we decide to take it.

From what I remember the sign says stay away from Summit Lake, don't bother us, keep moving.
As I recall there were a lot of places in the Sheldon Wildlife area to camp. Lots of Apache Tears everywhere too.

I am very curious if we can link Soldier Meadows to Pine Forest Range and the dam area on up to the 140...

View attachment 2558778

#1 is Soldier Meadows. #2 is Pine Forest Range. #3 is Steve's Camp. #4 is Hwy 395 near Sunrise Station (north of Alturas, CA). #5 there is supposed to be a Ranger Station/lookout tower.

I'm thinking we could head up Alturas or Cedarville and everyone grab a good night's sleep at a hotel.

Day 1: We head to Steve's camp and try to claim it. Once we setup camp, we can explore the surrounding area and maybe try to find the tower.
Day 2: Head south through HRC to Soldier Meadows and setup camp. A small group can then head out to see if we can link up to the Pine Forest routes via the purple route. We head back to camp to report our findings, unwind and relax after that.
Day 3:
Option 1: If we couldn't make the connection, then we head out toward Gerlach or spend another night at Soldier Meadows and do some more exploring.
Option 2: If we were successful the entire group heads to the dam in Pine Forest Range where we can eat lunch, enjoy the water. We can either camp there or nearby or continue on to Hwy 140 and head home via Hwy 95 S/i80 W.
Day 4: If we camp in Pine Forest, then we head home via Hwy 95 S / i80 W. Folks can grab another hotel in Winnemucca if they want or just continue on home.

I'm thinking a Thursday - Monday so folks only have to take a few days off work instead of an entire week. Getting to Steve's Camp on a Friday morning might increase our odds of snagging it in early June.

I got confirmation from BLM and USFS that this route is open and passable in June. I think this would be such a fun trip!

1612221503915.png

1612221565146.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom