Up-shifting issues in auto tranny with 250k... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up a '92 with the 4 speed auto with 250k on it. I've had it for a few months as my daily driver. Runs strong no real issues thus far. UNTIL the other day I noticed it started not wanting to shift up on acceleration. Primarily out of 2nd into 3rd, either manually or automatic. It isn't an every time issue, but at least every outting. I started with a fluid and filter change and the old stuff still looks and smells good. I'm trying to start with the more simpler/cheap causes as I don't feel it needs an entire overhaul. I've read to check the Throttle Position Sensor and the function of the Solenoid Valves in the bottom of the tranny. Any help/advice or guidance to a previous post would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks

Well there's the usual PM stuff like:

1) drop the pan and clean the filter
2) check your kick-down cable adjustment 14mm @ throttle body
3) check gear selector is adjusted to spec.
4) check ATF level

I'm pretty sure failure mode on the a440f first shows itself as 'flaring' when upshifting between gears, but I might be wrong.

Filter on a440 only needs to be cleaned because it's a screen FYI.

Yeah, after pulling it off and comparing it to the new one I noticed that. Lol I've out some Lucas additive in it and seems to have helped some. I actually ran it briefly w/o the TPS connected and the only difference I noticed was that it idled at about 1100 rpm, still shifted the same and everything else. Any other ideas? I was starting to look into the shift solenoids in the tranny but don't know anything about it, just starting my research. Thoughts???

Did also make minor adjustments to the kick down cable, shift linkage, and double checked the fluid. None were really out of wack but I went ahead and tried to get them back into spec range.

One solenoid for the cruise.

Did also make minor adjustments to the kick down cable, shift linkage, and double checked the fluid. None were really out of wack but I went ahead and tried to get them back into spec range.

Kickdown cable can and should be adjusted significantly tighter than spec after all these years.

Any way to test?

It ain't the cruise solenoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom