Up for a guessing game? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OffRoad Rage

Dry Roasted in the Desert
SILVER Star
Threads
I think this group loves this type of activity. I have no prizes other than the satisfaction of knowing rare Land Cruiser hardware, or maybe a cold beverage at the next meeting (or fabled Westside Beering).

The game: Guess what type of early SBC conversion was used on the 40 project that we have using just the pictures provided. I'm sure the 40 forum could get me an answer fast but what fun is that.

Engine is a 1968-1973 Chevy 307 car/truck block according to the casting code: 3970020

Some of the unique elements:
- Thin adapter plate between bell housing and trans that is welded to the plates that server as the trans mount
- Large plate adapter/cradle that serves as the engine mounts (guessing into the stock 40 mount locations)
- Some hydraulic or vacuum operated tube set up for the trans shift mechanism

Project 40 SBC type3.jpg

Project 40 SBC type5.jpg

Project 40 SBC type10.jpg

Trans mount pics

Project 40 SBC type8.jpg

Project 40 SBC type1.jpg

Hard to see, unique TC shift set up

Project 40 SBC type6.jpg

Project 40 SBC type7.jpg

Here is the TC select level from up top, with the sweet roller skate wheel handle

Project 40 SBC type2.jpg

Not a V8 in a FJ40 but have unique front cradle mount on a FJ25 with a six cylinder. Currently has a 2F but originally came this way with a F120 from the factory.

@Downey "we use to make a bolt-in front cradle mount that bolted back to the factory front mounts, but that mount lost all of it's popularity once power steering conversions became popular (front cradle went where the p.s. pump goes), sooooo guys all started using the side weld-in front motor mounts"
Jim is this one of the early Downey kits?

What you have is no doubt home made parts, your motor mounts are nothing like what Downey, Con Ferr, or Advance Adapters made. The dead give-away is the drivers side front motor mount cut out to straddle the bolt in the rubber cushion, nobody did that.

That explains why know one recognizes it, lol. Thanks for the expert feedback. It REALLY makes it a one of a kind resto-mod.

your heater looks different than mine - your handle for the indoor heat diverter flap plate is in the middle, when on my truck it's on the left side

your heater looks different than mine - your handle for the indoor heat diverter flap plate is in the middle, when on my truck it's on the left side

The floor shift caused the change. Would have to reach away the shift cane it if was still in the middle. I'm guessing your still have the slot for the center handle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom