Up dates on my Turbo Stuff (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Well after looking around I finally picked up a D50 Turbo. Looks a little small but we'll see how it all turns out. Here are a few pics of all my progress. I'm starting to source fittings for oil supply and return. Then a few fittings for my Boost gauge and wastegate and I'll be done!!! Been thinking about my Pyro lately and im not sure if I should go pre or post turbo.....any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tyler
turbo2001.jpg

turbo2002.jpg

turbo2003.jpg

turbo2004.jpg

thanks

Ya I built the maifold. Came out ok but if i was to do it again it would be stainless. I'm thinking pre turbo also. I just need to find a gauge now.

Gauges.

I'm just looking for somthing simple. Been lookin on Ebay but havn't found anything to good yet. Hope to soon. Any idea where a good spot to get a set is in Canada?

Thanks,
Tyler

That turbo has a waste gate. What is the model of turbo? It must be off of a late 80's d50.

Turbo

Its a Mitsu TC05-10A. I just bought the fittings for the waste gate. I tapped my housing similar to the AXT kit for both my boost and wastgate control. The other nice thing is that is is adjustable. Should be nice. gonna try and set it around 8psi or so to start and tweek it up from there.

Tyler

Looks good. Should be interesting how it goes.

For oil fittings to the block,

go with a 1/8 bsp to a -4 JIC fitting - use the plug under the alt for the px.

for the return use a -8 line to whatever you want on the oil pan, I welded on a sculley and put on a 45 elbow with a -8 JIC fitting.

line can be made up on your own, just get barbed ends. no point swaging lines the px is really low, as you know under 100(80????)

water I would not bother, if your turbo has water.

intake pipe, I used bent exhaust pipe, with the ends different sizes to accomodate the intake size in comparison to the turbo outlet.

I think that turbo will give a nice low end spool.

the best part of your install, you made it all yourself. no expensive kits.

Oil Supply and Return

For my supply I'm going to use the tee off the sending unit much like the AXT kit. The return I think will also go back like the AXT kit. I have ordered a barbed banjo fitting for my return to go into. It will be 5/8" hose that goes down to 10mm in the last few inches. My oil supply on my turbo has an orfice restricting port so my supply hole is less than 1/16". There will be a ton of space for that oil to flow so I'm not to worried about the return. My PX line will be all hard piped with the 3/16" brake line using a inverted flare fitting into my turbo and a compression at my supply tee. Should make a little cleaner install I hope. I thought about dropping my pan and welding in a bung for the return but figured since the supply orffice is so small it won't be needed. Also because of that orfice I won't be robbing a ver large amount of oil from the sending unit. I just hope there is enough to keep it all cool. But it worked on the D50 so I hope it works here.

Thanks for the help guys,
So who all is running this set up?

Tyler,

a little advice on your oil feed line , just my expeirience , do not use solid line . It will absorb to much heat and cause coaking and eventually plug with the end result of a dead turbo...have seen this happen twice ! Use a stainless steel braid flex line covered with fire sheild . You will never have the coaking probem .

HTH'S , Daryl

Hmmmm.....

I wonder if it is a real concern since that is how the original D50 was. It had a solid line all the way to the turbo I believe. I think I might go with sold that is insultaed with something and take care in my routing. I can see your point though. I hope to kepp coking to a minimum. The line is 1/4" solid. I think I'll run 3/8 fuel line over top in order to provide some insulation. I think I could run it through some sort of cooler inorder to reduce that chance of coking. Might have to find something for that. I could run the line out in front of the rad first but that may be to long of a run before going to the turbo. The main priority of coarse is oiling the turbo. Have to wait and see.

Thanks,
Tyler

use some of the insulation that you can get for ignition wires...that will provide the protection you need. make sure your routing does not let oil puddle in the tube , no valleys . No need to put any type of cooling for it...it makes it to complicatedd and another area of possible failure . Keep it simple !

Daryl

fjbj40 said:
a little advice on your oil feed line , just my expeirience , do not use solid line . It will absorb to much heat and cause coaking and eventually plug with the end result of a dead turbo...have seen this happen twice ! Use a stainless steel braid flex line covered with fire sheild . You will never have the coaking probem .

HTH'S , Daryl

With any turbo set up a synthetic oil will help alot to keep this from happening aswell.

Hey Tyler, nice work man........

After our conversation on the phone a couple of weeks ago it is looking like you chose to stay away from the CT-26, good call.

The Supra turbo spools up far to late, the MR2 however I am not sure of.

Rob

I just love all the turbo options folks are working on, and posting about.

Hey Radd, how is that kit you brought in. On and truck and ? I don't recall, was it a Denco?

Thanks

gb

Turbo Choices

Ya I think I made the right choice. If anything I'm worried this one could be restrictive. Doubt it will but we'll see. After talk with DD he said it wasn't to bad but also said it wasn't as good as the Holset unit. I also think the Lebaron units would be good.

I want to post up the spreadsheet I'm using but not sure how. I guess send me an email of your interested and I'll send it out. It is wasy to use and can be modded for any motor

Tyler

Anchant old post, must of missed your question Greg.

The Denco is set around 8PSI, I do not bother messing with it out of the box, thats up to the customer later.

It simply rocks, I am a big fan of how easy it installs and comes assembled to the manifold.

Were is a good place to locate those D50 turbos?

Rob

Greg_B said:
I just love all the turbo options folks are working on, and posting about.

Hey Radd, how is that kit you brought in. On and truck and ? I don't recall, was it a Denco?

Thanks

gb

Hey Rob,

I got my turbo from car-part.com
Search for 84-89 Dodge D50.

Colby

Damn.... nothing came up.

Hey Colby when ya gonna send me a bottle of the high octane decila?? I will pay for it, from what you tell it is smoooooth.

Rob

colby1979 said:
Hey Rob,

I got my turbo from car-part.com
Search for 84-89 Dodge D50.

Colby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom