Up Close and Personal with PHH that blew (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yep! I'm a victim!!!! By external viewing the little PHH appeared to be ok to me with no evidence of leakage. Sure enough, on our way home from MOAB (which can be seen here by the way) last weekend, the little &*&^*) started to leak! Thankfully it was a minor leak and I was able to keep her cool and full for the trip home.

Thought I'd share some internal pics of the PHH! I replaced mine already, but I am paranoid about the cheap hose I used, so I am going to do it again. I enjoy the punishment I suppose. :eek:

Notice the internal stress cracks:
PHHStresscracks.jpg

Yoats,

Consider yourself lucky. Mine blew 5 hours away from home with no good shops around. I neither had the parts nor the tools to fix it on the side of the road. I had to get a tow to a toyota dealership an hour away and thankfully they fixed it in 3 hours......Set me back 300 bucks, all for a little piece of rubber.

Lesson learned, fix this thing in the comfort of your own driveway or garage before it causes major stress down the road.

Phh ?

lt403 said:

Pesky Heater Hose. If you have a 80 series YOU NEED do a search on this board at once! Search PHH. It's a 2 inch peice of hose that is a PITA to get to but often gets overlooked. Trust me, do it soon!

Cruiserhead05 said:
Yoats,

Consider yourself lucky. Mine blew 5 hours away from home with no good shops around. I neither had the parts nor the tools to fix it on the side of the road. I had to get a tow to a toyota dealership an hour away and thankfully they fixed it in 3 hours......Set me back 300 bucks, all for a little piece of rubber.

Lesson learned, fix this thing in the comfort of your own driveway or garage before it causes major stress down the road.

Ouch that hurts. Well sometimes lessons come at expensive costs. :doh:

Cruiserhead05 said:
Yoats,

300 clams! I'm in the wrong business!

96LX450 said:

Tell me about it. I was kicking myself in the butt while writing a check to them. Nevertheless, they got me in on a 20 minute notice and completed the job so i could still get home that day.....i was happy overall.

96LX450 said:

WildYoats said:
Pesky Heater Hose. If you have a 80 series YOU NEED do a search on this board at once! Search PHH. It's a 2 inch peice of hose that is a PITA to get to but often gets overlooked. Trust me, do it soon!

50 millimeters actually and it is a bitch to change. 300 bucks is a bargain as far as I am concerned, I would not consider replacing one for that ammount.

I have to say the toyota dealerhip was awesome. The tow guy said he would take me anywhere, the first thing that came to mind was.....Where is the closest toyota dealership. The mechanic was a really nice guy too, let me come in and watch and look at all of it. He said he would try to get it from below the truck and that would run 300 ish but if he had to go from the top he would need to take out the intake manifold and then i was lookin at 600 bucks. So in the end 300 wasnt bad.

Glad to hear he could get form the bottom.I guess I need to look at mine and see how it looks and maybe change it any way.

How are those forearms feeling this morning? If you're doing it again go with Gates green-stripe, just soak it in some near boiling water first to make it pliable enough ;) The stuff is super HD and you don't have to worry about constant tension clamps and leaking like silicone -

:cheers:

Tucker

Silicone only leaks if you don't tighten the clamps... like any other hose.

Agree with Houston, never had a leak with my silicone and constant tension clamps. Just tightened it down REAL good.

Consider your self lucky that you did not loose your head gasket as well. later robbie

TiredIronGRB said:
Does this only happen on the '93 up 80s?

Yes, BTW-does not exist on the 3fe only on the crap shoot head gasget leakin, PHH freakin, DOHC stinkin, short stroke soccer mom engine shreikin, 1fz.

Just saw an opportunity and took it. No offense :flipoff2:

the 3fe is SUHC-but it certasinly doesn't :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom