Unusal Brake problems on 89 HJ61 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.

I've been trying to solve this weird brake problem that suddenly stops my truck without putting on the brakes. It releases and then I can drive, sometimes all day without it happening again. Recently, I found that I can just loosen the bleed screw on the front to release some fluid to continue driving.

In the past I've replaced everything except for the master, vacuum booster and the LSPV

I've been trying to find a new LSPV but have not been able to find this LSPV on any other 60. It's mounted under the brake booster in the engine compartment while everyone else seems to have one at the rear.......I don't have one there.

Anyone recognize it? Is it from another Toyota maybe?

Thanks

20181024_172930.jpg

Standard 60 series part.Mostly on JDM ones.
Never seen it in Europe.
Different country's=Different braking system demands.

Yes, this is not Canadian, it's a Japanese market truck (actually, there is a sticker on the back of a New Zealand company that did the 24 volt conversion for accesories and trailer wiring, so, maybe it was in New Zealand.

I've searched all of the forums and looked at part catalogues and this part doesn't seem to be on any 60's anywhere. Since the truck was raised 2 inches, maybe someone didn't know what to do with the original LSPV and installed this one in the front? All of the proportioning valves that I've found online for the 60 look nothing like this!

I'm trying to put this truck back on the road this winter, so, I have to finally figure how to stop when I want to stop, not when the truck wants to stop lol. My 1990 Pajero has not sold (listed here on Mud in the for sale section) and I just washed it up and tucked it away out of the snow. Any takers at this point could get a good deal.

Would help me pay for someone to solve this problem of mine.

thanks for your reply

part nr 47190-60030
And it is in the original location on your truck according to the EPC program

try Amayama.com
that would be your best bet at the moment.
Or a wrecked JDM 60 in Canada/USA (Classifieds on Mud)

It was answered on your other post. Its not a LSPV , it is just a Proportioning valve and is very common until 87 and was sold in most markets.
To be a LSPV, it much be attached to the rear axle so it can adjust the flow to suit the weight being carried.
Landcruisers of that era had either one depending on model or market.

Thanks for that information. So, my truck is 1989 and you said that they were common until 87.

I've only seen ones on Amayama listed up to 87.

Do you think that they will be the same as mine?

Or should I be looking for one that matches my year?

Thanks

The ones I looked at in the parts manual had 3-4 part numbers. The part number should be on the part somewhere. The prices varied quite a bit so they may not be the same

Im guessing yours is a JDM so it should be 47159-30150. Put the number into google on its own and see what happens.

My guess its something else causing the problem,most likely in the M/Cyl or booster.
The PV is just a type of flow valve. It diverts a percentage of the pressure in your brake line to the front and rear brakes. It doesnt make pressure itself.

Last edited:
Show me your vin plate ,then i can make sure which part nr you need
Should be HJ61 -########
ATM or MAN.?
89' models did have this valve,that is one thing you can be certain of.

This is what Toyota EPC comes up with.

HJ61 89.png

VX -High roof-CBU (complete build unit)-MTM-TD
MEMZX is a code on the vinplate,which you can doublecheck.

Yes that's it. MEMZX

I suppose that I should replace the MC first since you mentioned that you didn't think that this valve could cause pressure in the brake system.

Now I'm looking for a Master cylinder.

Thanks

Interested to know what came of this.

I've got a 1989 BJ60 which came from the factory with front drums, so had no PBV of any sort. The previous owner upgraded it to front discs but never added a PBV so I need one, and googling the required part number 47190-60030 brought me here.

I've managed to source a used one but have no way of knowing if it works. As it's just a static valve, I imagine there is little to go wrong, but am interested to know if it was causing the OP problems.

Has anyone tried disassembling one?

Thanks!

Hi, I never ended up needing the part. I must have been getting contamination in the master cylinder. All I did was order a new rubber cap for the master cylinder and bled as much of the old fluid out as I could, then refilled. I has happened since then, but, only mildly. Sorry I can't help you more, I know how much frustration something like this causes.

Hi, I never ended up needing the part. I must have been getting contamination in the master cylinder. All I did was order a new rubber cap for the master cylinder and bled as much of the old fluid out as I could, then refilled. I has happened since then, but, only mildly. Sorry I can't help you more, I know how much frustration something like this causes.

Hi Blueberries

Thanks for your prompt reply, sorry to hear that you've not eliminated the problem entirely. I've never had a similar issue.

I really don't see that it can be your PBV as that thing is just going to be a plunger and spring.

I will just have to see how it goes with the used valve. At the end of the day brakes of that era are pretty crap by modern standards, even when in top condition, so as long as I don't have bad lockup on the rear drums, I'm happy.

All the best 👍

I do have exactly the same valve underneath the master cylinder on my 86 JDM 60. Even though I do not have a LSPV either I believe so far that that one is there for a different reason.
I thought that there is a pressure sensing, floating piston inside, it does nothing when everything is fine but if you are loosing brake pressure at the front or rear the piston moves due to the inequality of the pressures in the lines and shuts that circuit. I might be wrong but it is very likely what it does.
This valve is one of the few things on my 60 which I haven't had apart...
If for any reason - maybe foreign material in your master cylinder - a brake circuit (or clutch, same principe) can not release fluid back to the reservoir in a non braking situation, it will cause trouble.
Heat from the brakes is transferred into the brake fluid and this will expand. If it can't expand into the reservoir like normal - it will effectivly stay and maybe make the brake pads rub a bit - creating more heat transferred into the brakes - creating more pressure....et voila´ your brakes are jammed.
The problem could be in your master cylinder or inside your flexible hoses (most likely then only one side at the front axle but could be both sides at the back) but also your above mentioned valve could play up. If the valve is the one I thought it would be you could have moved the piston accidentely while bleeding your brakes. if you apply pressure to the system while the front or rear circuit is open the pressure sensing valve will move and close the open circuit. maybe one of your circuits is partly closed.....
Well at first we really need to know the function of that valve. I worked a lot on Landrovers years ago and they had exactly the same system. We were bleeding the front and rear circuits simultaneously to avoid any disturbance of that valve. Having said that - I have absolutely without any trouble bled my brakes one wheel after the next - On Landrovers and Landcruisers.. If you don't hammer the brake pedal to the firewall you´ll be fine. Somebody here who had that vave apart, or nows for sure what it is for ?

I've got a 1989 BJ60 which came from the factory with front drums, so had no PBV of any sort. The previous owner upgraded it to front discs but never added a PBV so I need one, and googling the required part number 47190-60030 brought me here.

i would consider just installing a manual proportioning valve instead of trying to fit in the factory part. if you look in the 80 section and search lspv delete there are a few options for adding in the manual valve and you should be able to find a few options that may work for you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom