untraceable grinding noise from rear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hopefully someone might have some insight into what i'm experiencing, because i'm still at a loss.

About 1 in 10 times that I start the LX450 i hear this godawful grinding-esque noise...from behind me that lasts say 10seconds (short enough that by the time I jump out to see if I can pinpoint it it stops). This is when it's still in Park, not moving.

Now unfortuantely it's more rare than consistent and if trying to reproduce 10+ starts in a row have never delivered a result. Despite its infrequency the noise is enough to cause concern. As far as I can think, the only motorized parts behind the driver (aside from locks,windows,wiper) is the fuelpump and the elocker. The latter shouldn't be doing anything, however the fuelpump is a prime culprit candidate.

Then again, I have no fuel issues, on troubled or fine starts. And as mentioned, it isn't steady (5-10 secs.). Talking to Slee when over there the other day, a cracked flexplate or fubar torque converter were mentioned as a possibility. I dunno, I'd think those would present more consistent issues than momentarily. I'll concede it's possible that sound travel could be skewing the source and it's possible to be something under the hood.

Any thoughts anyone? I've spent awhile searching the board but coming up with nothing distinctly similar so far.

Sure it is not the starter? Could be that it is not disengaging from the flywheel for a bit (could be bad teeth on the starter, or a stuck solenoid). Have a friend listen in the DS wheelwell when you start the rig, and it should be apparent if this is your source.

:cheers:

Steve

The starter 'shoud' still sound from forward of the driver seat.

For reference, the sound is not unlike that of (really)worm brrakes grinding metal on metal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom