Unresponsive MFD (And unresponsive replacement MFD). What now? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CakeMountain

SILVER Star
Threads
So, I was install my grom vline2 (successfully, I had started setting up the wifi) when I turned the truck on to get the A/C running. After that, the MFD stopped responding. I get nothing. I went and checked all the fuses, and still nothing. After that I purchased a new MFD from Ebay, and it doesn't work. I'm completely stumped now. I know it's getting power because the security light flashes.

Other than that, nothing - no audio/nav/back-up/climate/etc. It's starting to drive me nuts. I've searched and searched and searched the forums, but nothing quite seems to match. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PXL_20210603_202509387.jpg

On my LS430 which has a simliar sreen, there's a way to access diagnotics by pressing and holding the "auto" and "recirculate" buttons. not sure if the process is the same for the LX

More updates. I can't eject the navigation disc from the drive under the passenger seat, and I don't get any errors in Techstream. I need to check the rear audio controls (I had forgotten about those, but I don't think they'll provide any clues.)

If the drive under the seat fails, the MFD still works. It won't display maps or navigate, but things like climate control, trip, etc should still work fine.

If the drive under the seat isn't ejecting any discs because it has no power, and the MFD is acting the same way, then IMO that points to a power or install issue.

I would try returning it to stock and double check fuses, power inputs etc.

Are you sure you checked all of the fuses? There is a second fuse box in the passenger kick panel that has the audio fuses in it (at least in my LX470).
Yup, I've check fuses on both sides and in the engine compartment.

I've double-checked the cigarette and power outlet by pushing in phone chargers and checking the LED's.

Updates...

I've checked and rechecked fuses. Nothing there. Pulled out the multimeter and tested the power and ground and found the harness is definitely delivering power.

Now it's going to a mechanic. I'm out of ideas.

I did. The grom and all associated cables are completely removed.

I did some more digging, and found I wasn't testing the correct ground pin on the harness, so I'll try that today.

It was a fuse. Details to come.
Details please!

i have a similar but different issue…

in my case, Radio and dvd movies play perfectly fine, but screen is stuck on Info/Trip screen (when not playing dvd’s)…. touch screen works, but none of the physical buttons work, so no climate control, etc.
..oh and no clock, or outside temp. Checked all fuses x3 times…. Super stumped.

Also ordered a replacement MFD board... and a used climate control module... starting to run out of things to try/test.

I've had the exact same issue today. Praying its a fuse!!!! Details please!

Also ordered a replacement MFD board... and a used climate control module... starting to run out of things to try/test.
Did you replace AC amp and still no luck? I disconnected my battery to see if I could reset and now I have no climate at all. Nav/radio still work. Thx

fuse_data.jpg

Long story short, I had to drop the LX off with a mechanic friend who could pull some reference sheets (see above) and take a look for me. As you can see, the ACC fuse was the issue and the MFD was still in working order. I thought I had checked the fuse and eliminated it because the power outlet was still operating, but I guess they're not connected.

I did it up buying a new tool for next time. My mechanic friend suggested this for tracking down automotive electrical issues - Amazon product ASIN B005MVB3S0
Good luck to everyone else having issues!

View attachment 2723524

Long story short, I had to drop the LX off with a mechanic friend who could pull some reference sheets (see above) and take a look for me. As you can see, the ACC fuse was the issue and the MFD was still in working order. I thought I had checked the fuse and eliminated it because the power outlet was still operating, but I guess they're not connected.

I did it up buying a new tool for next time. My mechanic friend suggested this for tracking down automotive electrical issues - Amazon product ASIN B005MVB3S0
Good luck to everyone else having issues!
So it looks like these are the fuses to check (driver side footwell)… and the red one is the ACC fuse in particular.

***Unfortunately for me, all my fuses were fine... checked it redundantly... and no problems there.

E02450A7-4974-4A7E-BCA9-E6E65E63F19C.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom