Unobtainium (19 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a brake related thread I mentioned that I'm setting up a small shop to bring back some of the unobtainium products of the past. I'm starting this new thread to expand on some thoughts so that I don't hijack the other thread.

As our hobby is expanding while the vehicles are getting older and more perishable items are becoming "NLA", it's getting harder to keep our vehicles stock. There are many creative solutions out there, but if you're like me, you want parts to be plug and play and designed to fit your vehicle. On this premise, I decided to tackle certain specific needs that are on the "low margin, high effort" side of the spectrum that Toyota and other suppliers won't ever care to play in. I figure no corporation can fill this niche better than a Cruiser enthusiast.

After much due diligence, I've got a couple of confirmed products coming through the pipeline, and a couple more in the concept stages being actively investigated. Feel free to pitch new ideas at me. Whatever I bring to market has to be reasonably priced. Personally I don't feel OEM prices are reasonable.

I'll end this post with a teaser pic. In a few days I'll be offering this unobtainium air intake hose for the '79 to '84 FJ40. Exact OEM replacement, oval on one side round on the other, brand new.

photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
Hey, what about the '77?

Hey, what about the '77?
I saw a decent solution for that one, so it didn't get on my priority list.

One restoration shop told me they often get requests for the FJ60 air intake hose. Unfortunately I've never owned a 60 and never came across that hose. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I can supply it.

Last edited:
I am the beta tester for one of the brake boosters. Installed it in my '74 cruiser and have been driving around with it. We tweaked some things and performance is great! Those tweaks will be integrated into the final specs.

I have no problem locking up my drum brakes. Boost feels good. And it sure looks purdy... :)

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1414605669.072269.jpg

Drain hoses for the cowl vent. They are mega money normally, may all be gone now, they are just simple hose but require a nasty "S" shaped bend to get through the firewall. I don't know how many variations there were on them. I know my 1973 required two with the S bend in them. I've seen some pics of firewalls where the hoses go down and through the tranny hump negating the bends. They are also just shy of 1/2" on the cowl vent nipples as I recall.

I good stretchy silicone rubber seal piece between the early heater and air duct too. The original never fit very well, they are all stiff and cracked now, and personally I don't want the SOR sewn vinyl one with big labels on it.

Reproduction steering column covers may be valuable to some or even an OEM like steering wheel.

I'll try and think of other little bits I have coveted and coddled for years because I knew getting a new one was impossible.

Drain hoses for the cowl vent. They are mega money normally, may all be gone now, they are just simple hose but require a nasty "S" shaped bend to get through the firewall.

How about the TC shifter inner boot that is unobtanium?

X2 for these - there are alternatives out there, but high quality alternative that look good and fit like OEM are another story. Plus, I need both!

I don't think 74 had the inner boot. If you have the smaller more triangular base with 3 bolts I think, that was only the upper vinyl boot. The larger more square shaped 4-speed boot had an inner rubber boot.

A lawyer would say that. A potential way around it would be to make the mat with a flat location where a Toyota 'emblem' of the same material would go. Then sell the mat and the emblem as separate items. In the unlikely event that you got pushback from Toyota for selling a Toyota emblem, you could stop selling the emblem but still sell the mat. Go on ebay and search for "Toyota emblem" or any other brand emblem and you'll see lots of aftermarket emblems. If you decide to do this, I expect a discount on mine. :D

That's a fine line with using toyota... Many people reproduce obsolete parts with factory embossings and such ... Look at mike with his oval toyota emblem

It will be very low volume and Toyota just doesn't care

However if it is a sticking point ... You could use TOYODA or TEQ

TEQ that many people reproduce is also trademarked still by toyota and there are hundreds of products reproduced using it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom