Unlocking the mystery of AWD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Landy,

Too many variables to make that statement. For instance, the front gearset could have thicker teeth, larger tooth contact surfaces, harder surface treatment, etc, etc for durability versus the rear. Dunno, but lots of options from a design standpoint. It's a full time unit, though.

Scott,

I thought there was one model Quattro that had all three lockers sold to the public in the US? I never owned one, but thought this to be the case. Maybe the SWB Turbo Quattros sold here??

DougM

SUMOTOY said:
I'd also venture an opinion based on my ice driving experiences, that a proper set of tires for the conditions would have changed your thinking in a big way.

HTH

Scott Justusson

I run ice rated AT tires. ;)

No lack of control, sliding, problems, or slippage to speak of with the CDL off.

large amounts of all of the above with CDL engaged. I have been there, done that in just about any condition so I have some deep pockets when it comes to experience with driving in conditions.

Dan what make and model of tire? I have never heard of ice rated AT tires before.
Cheers,
Sean

IdahoDoug said:
Landy,

Too many variables to make that statement. For instance, the front gearset could have thicker teeth, larger tooth contact surfaces, harder surface treatment, etc, etc for durability versus the rear. Dunno, but lots of options from a design standpoint. It's a full time unit, though.

Agree here with I'D... A smaller diff generates more heat, all else being equal. Strength is a different story. I'd venture to say that the threshold for breaking either front or rear diff on an 80 would be really high. Regular synthetic fluid changes, and watching for axle seal compromises is probably a better target for your sights.

Scott,

I thought there was one model Quattro that had all three lockers sold to the public in the US? I never owned one, but thought this to be the case. Maybe the SWB Turbo Quattros sold here??
DougM

The Sport Quattro was slated to recieve the 'new' torsen center diff, but since it was only used one time in World Rally (San Remo '85), and audi was wary of homogolation rules, the Gen 1 locking center and rear (position 1 - center locked, position 2 - center and rear locked) was installed with auto ABS defeat when either engaged.

The only triple locked were found in the Rally Cars Doug. And, in fact, when fitted to the cars, all 3 were without cockpit switch ability. Most factory drivers used open front or 20% LSD - center rear locked, most privateers used triple locked.

HTH

Scott Justusson

Ice AT's?

DanKunz said:
I run ice rated AT tires. ;)

No lack of control, sliding, problems, or slippage to speak of with the CDL off.

large amounts of all of the above with CDL engaged. I have been there, done that in just about any condition so I have some deep pockets when it comes to experience with driving in conditions.

Dan, which tires exactly were you running at the time (size, brand, model)? I'm also looking at your 91 80 with a 3in lift, slee front bumper, and start thinking a lot of other 'issues' could certainly be at hand. From tire width, to alignment, to hydroplaning on slush (my worst nightmare). You've certainly proved you have a lot of variables affecting control above and beyond the CDL.

Been to Steamboat Ice Track? A quick tour of that track (at normal road speeds) would be most enlightening. In my 9 years at that track, anyone with the ability to lock the center diff, does, because it allows more tractive ability and control. Including Steamboat's own corporate Toyota trucks. Watch the videos on the website ( www.gruppe-q.com every car in those videos run center diff locked) Also interesting to note some road car trivia: The original quattro coupe was released with no center diff, then dog clutched because of parking noise. Just about every quattro race car from 1982>1999 ran locked in the center diff, low cf on/off road, or hi cf track venue.

Ice tires in Atlanta?

Intrigued indeed, living in Chicago myself

Scott Justusson

Newbie w/ some questions.

Hi, I'm new to the ih8mud sight and don't even have a landcruiser of my own yet. My parents have a '91 80 that is great. We never have trouble or anything. They are selling it and offered to let me buy it but I am thinking more along the lines of a 95-97, instead of my current 1992 Honda Accord wagon. However, I was wondering if the VC is a weak link in the system on these years. I know toyota would have a beefy setup, but that seems to be something more along the lines of a vw syncro, or subaru WRX. Do these fail very often, and do the FZJ's last as long as the FJ 80's? I'm new and just wondering. Hope I came to the right thread. Thanks. :)

Wow... another resurected thread in the VC/Locked/onroad/offroad debate... How many of these are there?

Welcome to Mud :flipoff2:

Your parents '91 should, given a good son discount, sell to you for about $3500 or less depending on condition. Look it up on www.kbb.com and use the dealer trade in numbers if they're otherwise trading it in or use the private party retail if they're planning to sell it outright. Be sure to correct for mileage.

There are differences from '91 to a '97. See the FAQ and/or the www.sleeoffroad.com buyers guide for more info.

Front/rear lockers, airbags 20% more horsepower, leather and 3-4x the price tag are the big ones.

Look at your need. If you like the '91 and know it's history and it fits your needs, buy it. Keep in mind maintenance and gas on these things is not even remotely cheap. The VC isn't an issue or worry for you and I've never heard of one failing.

Especially, since the 1991 80 series does not have a VC;)

CJF said:
I agree with you that it's very rare though, and not something to worry about.

Curtis

80 series VC failure is very rare.

Can a VC be added to a '91/'92 without the VC?

Thanks,
Doug

the FZJ80's HF2AV has a longer rear housing and internal shafts than the the FJ80's HF2A to accommodate the VC, also the drive shafts are shorter (or at least the rear is) due to the longer T-case,

If you want the VC I think you would have to swap the whole T-case and drive shafts. it seams like it should be a straight bolt up swap but I have not done it so......, even if the swap is possible it seams impractical just to get a VC.

the FZJ80's HF2AV has a longer rear housing and internal shafts than the the FJ80's HF2A to accommodate the VC, also the drive shafts are shorter (or at least the rear is) due to the longer T-case,

If you want the VC I think you would have to swap the whole T-case and drive shafts. it seams like it should be a straight bolt up swap but I have not done it so......, even if the swap is possible it seams impractical just to get a VC.
Wow, that was quick! Thanks.

Doug

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Do I sense some sarcasm there? : ). Actually my girlfriend made that as my email address and I use it for pretty much everything because, woe is me, I seem to have a knack for forgetting passwords and such at quite a young age.
Thanks for all the info. I think that I will probably just keep my eye out and let my parents slide. It has around 350,000 and I would rather pay a bit more and along with that have a reasonable amount of peace of mind. And the knuckles seem to puke out a bit more than a I care for upon closer inspection. Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be able get one soon and utilize the vast store house of information on here. : ).

Thanks for all the info. I think that I will probably just keep my eye out and let my parents slide. It has around 350,000 and I would rather pay a bit more and along with that have a reasonable amount of peace of mind. And the knuckles seem to puke out a bit more than a I care for upon closer inspection. Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll be able get one soon and utilize the vast store house of information on here. : ).

Good call, at 350k it's probably worth $2k, though I would not want it at any price. Not that it's a bad rig, but the potential for stuff to go wrong is there, and I'd rather start off with plenty of miles to go, and fun optional mods to do instead of possibly big required repairs. Keep your eyes open and be patient and you will find the one you are looking for.:)

350,000? Miles? Dude.... Take a picture of the odometer and post it in the high miles thread.

in the winter I spend most of my time in 2wd and have fun drifting around the corners, so haha to you boring 80z guys who let the truck keep itself under control!

Thanks guys. I'll keep looking. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom