Unlocked 80 locker switch harness present? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pskhaat

Tourer
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
alamosa.mobi
I've been debating adding a rear OEM locker to my open 1996 80 since I bought it 8 years ago. Right now I am gathering all parts necessary. I have read all material on this, but one thing that is missing or that I can not find is the wiriing instructions from the switch to the locker ECU. Is this harness/connectors present in my unlocked 80 (before I go open up the dash)?

Thanks,

check out Boston Manglers locker thread he has everything pretty much detailed.

The instrument panel harness has the stuff in it. If you have an LX450 you will also have the correct LH floor harness. You will be missing the correct rear axle harness, rear sill harness and in the case of an 80, the LH floor harness.

D-

Sill harness and floor harness? I just thought I had to make a single harness to run up to the cab?

BTW, you'll be getting a call soon for parts I wasn't able to source used ...

Yes, it does.

As far as the wiring goes, you asked what was missing not how to get around it..;)

Waggoner5 said:
The truck should be wired with a harness behind the dash bezel that houses the radio/AC with the switches above. It will have a dummy plug plugged in with a Yellow? wired loop in it.
Gary

That's the CDL switch plug, not the axle locker.

-Spike

3fj40 said:
Mangler's descriptiona nd write up didn't detail this in particular plus his was a 93 IIRC....

Umm, yes it did! :D

Below is the "ACTUAL TEXT" cut and pasted from some of the first sentences in my writeup that somone didnt read!! :D

[CUT]The intriging part about this for me was that my 93 FZJ80 already had a lot of the wiring already there! (not sure of ALL non locker rigs have all the wiring already, so i wont make that statement), so that eased a huge amount of the stress of performing this job..

The wiring for the dash switch is there behind the blank panel in the dash, the wiring for the ECU was already there and just needed to be plugged into the ECU which has an intergrated bracket on it and mounts right up!
[/CUT]

As far are wiring goes, that was one of the main things i made sure to cover 100% in my writeup. Should be very straight forward.

Thanks

If you would like to install a rear locker on your 80 you will need the following items.

- Diff Lock Switch that you install on the left side of the steering wheel. The harness is present behind that blank off plate.

- Floor harness or 5 wiring harness to be connected from the plug located on driver side kick panel. This harness ends on the left rear quarter panel right below the jack mount. Take the jack/jack mount to gain access.

- Short wiring harness from the left quarter panel out to the left rear corner of the vehicle to connect to the wiring harness for the differential. This is with ABS connector.

- Rear diff lock wiring harness to power the motor and diff lock position switch.

- Then, lastly you need the axle with locking differential.

When we last talked (months ago) about this, I can't remember if I can buy the wiriing harnesses from you or not? Does Toyota sell them separately?

3fj40 said:
When we last talked (months ago) about this, I can't remember if I can buy the wiriing harnesses from you or not? Does Toyota sell them separately?

I assume this question is directed to me.

Yes, the correct harnesses can be purchased. The cost will stagger you and making one of your own will sound even better.....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom